Ryan Shazier suffers has limited use of legs, undergoes surgery

Dome

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

@Broncofan so he may have had something a little off in his spine before the injury that made this type of injury more likely? 

Can’t be sure without all the info but the type of injury doesn’t need stabilization due to fragments or debris like with a high velocity injury.    That only leaves the need to correct misalignment and that type of injury usually doesn’t create misalignment the high-energy impact to suddenly create spinal misalignment just isn’t there.  More likely it was there already (perhaps not as bad b4 impossible to know) and if so that definitely put him at higher risk than others.   Truly unfortunate.  Still he’s young so hope still legit he can return to completely normal function.  I wouldn’t be hopeful about playing again though I don’t know how anyone would clear him.  Really the focus should be on getting back full function.   

P.S.  The title needs fixing, it's incomplete (not a huge thing, but figured someone has to mention it).

I hate to say this, but if Shazier has to retire from football then his career and this footage should be used to teacher proper tackling form... Here you have a guy who was a top 5 candidate for Defensive Player of the Year in his fourth season and his career could be cut short because he never learned how to tackle properly. And it's well documented throughout so many of his games in the NFL. If that doesn't scare a kid - an elite player in their prime losing it all - to learn to tackle properly then I don't know what will. Hopefully some good comes out of this as young kids learn the importance of proper form tackling.

35 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I hate to say this, but if Shazier has to retire from football then his career and this footage should be used to teacher proper tackling form... Here you have a guy who was a top 5 candidate for Defensive Player of the Year in his fourth season and his career could be cut short because he never learned how to tackle properly. And it's well documented throughout so many of his games in the NFL. If that doesn't scare a kid - an elite player in their prime losing it all - to learn to tackle properly then I don't know what will. Hopefully some good comes out of this as young kids learn the importance of proper form tackling.

Could not agree more.    Darryl Stingley was paralyzed from a hit by Jack Tatum in 1978, and that injury changed both the rules and the culture on headhunting.  The same needs to happen here.

It's tragic, but this is an opportunity too - see who you are tackling.   Let this be the last case.

(And to be clear, Shazier still has very real hope he can walk, young person, way too soon a few days out - but the chances of returning to NFL play are likely nil.   Let some good come of this.)

• 4 months later...

This result shouldn't surprise anyone.

As hoped for, a guy as young as he is, walking and returning to normal life after a likely gruelling rehab.  Great for him.   But his career's likely done as a player.   Glad he got the 8.5M 5th year option.   Hopefully he'll stick as a PR guy for the Steelers, that alone would likely pay itself off.    

On 5/2/2018 at 1:25 PM, Broncofan said:

This result shouldn't surprise anyone.

As hoped for, a guy as young as he is, walking and returning to normal life after a likely gruelling rehab.  Great for him.   But his career's likely done as a player.   Glad he got the 8.5M 5th year option.   Hopefully he'll stick as a PR guy for the Steelers, that alone would likely pay itself off.    

You could tell that his career is over just by watching him walk on the podium during the draft last week. After that injury, I’m just glad that he’s even able to walk. 

On 12/7/2017 at 6:57 PM, Broncofan said:

Could not agree more.    Darryl Stingley was paralyzed from a hit by Jack Tatum in 1978, and that injury changed both the rules and the culture on headhunting.  The same needs to happen here.

It's tragic, but this is an opportunity too - see who you are tackling.   Let this be the last case.

(And to be clear, Shazier still has very real hope he can walk, young person, way too soon a few days out - but the chances of returning to NFL play are likely nil.   Let some good come of this.)

I do think players have some accountability for their own health, too many college and pro players don't tackle properly. And players also have accountability for the type of equipment, they choose to wear. If a veteran player insists on wearing an obsolete helmet just because he likes the fit, don't come back 20 years later complaining about head trauma. If you make a decision which is detrimental to your health, the consequences of that choice can return later. The Stingley hit was especially egregious because it happened in a preseason game.     

20 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

And players also have accountability for the type of equipment, they choose to wear. If a veteran player insists on wearing an obsolete helmet just because he likes the fit, don't come back 20 years later complaining about head trauma.

Helmets can't prevent concussions, nor is there any proof they can reduce them or the effects of them afaik.

Concussions are caused by the momentum of the brain causing it to smash into the (usually) front of your skull when your head decelerates very quickly, and even the new high tech helmets with the special layers meant to absorb force won't actually effect the concussion process as far as I know.

18 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

I do think players have some accountability for their own health, too many college and pro players don't tackle properly. And players also have accountability for the type of equipment, they choose to wear. If a veteran player insists on wearing an obsolete helmet just because he likes the fit, don't come back 20 years later complaining about head trauma. If you make a decision which is detrimental to your health, the consequences of that choice can return later. The Stingley hit was especially egregious because it happened in a preseason game.     

Not sure about the helmet stuff, but definitely agree on the tackling. It amazes me how poor a tackling technique we continue to see. I think it's possibly due to the speed of the game, and the very nature of defensive football - get them down as quickly as you can, don't give up yards. This leads to head-first flying missile like hits, instead of getting your base close, wrapping and driving with legs. It may not ever change.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:41 AM, LaserFocus said:

On 5/4/2018 at 11:12 AM, TXsteeler said:

Helmets can't prevent concussions, nor is there any proof they can reduce them or the effects of them afaik.

Concussions are caused by the momentum of the brain causing it to smash into the (usually) front of your skull when your head decelerates very quickly, and even the new high tech helmets with the special layers meant to absorb force won't actually effect the concussion process as far as I know.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:32 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Not sure about the helmet stuff, but definitely agree on the tackling. It amazes me how poor a tackling technique we continue to see. I think it's possibly due to the speed of the game, and the very nature of defensive football - get them down as quickly as you can, don't give up yards. This leads to head-first flying missile like hits, instead of getting your base close, wrapping and driving with legs. It may not ever change.

There’s no doubt technique is the big change.  Helmets can only help but they won’t be the only solution.  The league and lower levels of football should be using Shazier to hammer the point about “always see the player you are tackling” and not hoping helmets alone are the solution.    They are part of the solution but helmets will fail if they are the only solution.  

It’s easier to say it again now - Shazier is the one almost completely at fault for the injury.   There was a rule created out a prior play he committed with Bernard.   He learned a dangerous technique no good D coach should encourage.   The knockout mentality is largely to blame as well.   But players and coaches have to change and it has to happen system wide and when they are kids.   

Its just that even if he’s at fault no one deserved that fate, even as the perpetrator (with no malice intended, either, but even then that’s a fate no one deserves).    Glad he won’t have to pay that price.  

On 5/5/2018 at 3:12 AM, TXsteeler said:

You need helmets that distribute force away from the skull 

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

That won't change the momentum problem.

A guy has designed some small air bags that go around the neck which trigger via momentum.  Reducing the speed of the rotation of the head. It would be interesting for further research. And like real airbags you would have to work out if it could cause other injury. 

As a former rugby player I think helmets may increase concussion due to the perceived feeling of safety. I think if NFL players learned to tackle properly rather than going for king hits the game would be a lot safer 

It should be Google able. The helmets that is. 

16 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

You need helmets that distribute force away from the skull 

7 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

That won't change the momentum problem.

Not at their current size.

There is a solution if you want it to be purely helmet-based.  I'm guessing no one will be in favor....

Bumperball-Plastic-Bubble-Suit-2.jpg

Archived