Ryan Shazier suffers has limited use of legs, undergoes surgery

Dome

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

As a former rugby player I think helmets may increase concussion due to the perceived feeling of safety. I think if NFL players learned to tackle properly rather than going for king hits the game would be a lot safer 

FTW.  The problem is that education alone rarely works.  It has to be embedded in the culture, and ideally there are system interventions that reinforce this principle.  Right now, there isn't much.  

The fact that the NFL uses this guy as. Symbol is quite disgusting. I cringed watching him in the draft this is not okay and far worse than any CTE Case. The dude might be crippled for life and they’re promoting this “comeback” disgusting. 

31 minutes ago, El ramster said:

The fact that the NFL uses this guy as. Symbol is quite disgusting. I cringed watching him in the draft this is not okay and far worse than any CTE Case. The dude might be crippled for life and they’re promoting this “comeback” disgusting. 

Shazier is a willing player in this dog and pony show, though. You see the Steelers' altered his contract this year so he gets most of his cash up front?

And frankly, if Shazier considers his/their position morally justifiable (accepting the risks of football alongside the potential rewards), power to him/them.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Shazier is a willing player in this dog and pony show, though. You see the Steelers' altered his contract this year so he gets most of his cash up front?

And frankly, if Shazier considers his/their position morally justifiable (accepting the risks of football alongside the potential rewards), power to him/them.

This is far different than a broken

leg or foot. Someone tell him to get football out of his mind for at least 2-3 Years.

the dude is crippled. And he’ll most likely never play again. Yet they’re making this a redemption story. 

Just now, El ramster said:

This is far different than a broken

leg or foot. Someone tell him to get football out of his mind for at least 2-3 Years.

the dude is crippled. And he’ll most likely never play again. Yet they’re making this a redemption story. 

To walk again is enough redemption.   His chances to lead a normal life are excellent.   His career is done though. 

Just now, El ramster said:

Yet they’re making this a redemption story. 

If that's what Shazier wants to do, why not? Like I said, the risk is acceptable for many if not most. Shazier seems to be one of those people. It's not up to you or me what constitutes acceptable risk for others.

37 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

If that's what Shazier wants to do, why not? Like I said, the risk is acceptable for many if not most. Shazier seems to be one of those people. It's not up to you or me what constitutes acceptable risk for others.

The NFL is taking this black eye and making it seem like it’s okay. When this should be alarming. It’s far different from a i know what I signed up for.

7 minutes ago, El ramster said:

The NFL is taking this black eye and making it seem like it’s okay. When this should be alarming.

What is "it/this"? The fact that Shazier suffered the injury? It's not about whether it's okay or not.. it's an unfortunate consequence. The possibility of extreme injury is alarming to any rational football player. They are simply weighing the potential negatives against the potential consequences and making the choice they feel is best for them.

It’s far different from a i know what I signed up for.

How? NFL players have died on the field. They've suffered paralysis. Shazier's injury is objectively "better" than either of those outcomes. Players know extreme injuries are a part of the risk and take it on willingly.

Furthermore, what is it you think the NFL/Shazier should be doing, exactly?

43 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

What is "it/this"? The fact that Shazier suffered the injury? It's not about whether it's okay or not.. it's an unfortunate consequence. The possibility of extreme injury is alarming to any rational football player. They are simply weighing the potential negatives against the potential consequences and making the choice they feel is best for them.

How? NFL players have died on the field. They've suffered paralysis. Shazier's injury is objectively "better" than either of those outcomes. Players know extreme injuries are a part of the risk and take it on willingly.

Furthermore, what is it you think the NFL/Shazier should be doing, exactly?

Don’t know bro. It’s not okay. But I guess. 

On 5/7/2018 at 11:01 AM, Kiwibrown said:

A guy has designed some small air bags that go around the neck which trigger via momentum.  Reducing the speed of the rotation of the head.

I'm really no expert but rotational velocity or momentum has nothing to do with concussions in football, this will just help prevent neck injuries afaik.

You have players running up to 25 miles per hour at each other and then one of them (practically) instantly goes from 25 mph forward to moving backwards and there is nothing that can be done with a helmet to fix that. Players either need some kind of crazy surgery to put pads inside their skulls, which would cause it's own problems, or they need to go slower.

And don't linemen get a lot of CTE? They don't get the huge concussions as much as faster players afaik but they constantly take small blows to the head which apparently builds up. That's a huge area where the research can help and probably is related to force which helmets can reduce.

53 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I'm really no expert but rotational velocity or momentum has nothing to do with concussions in football, this will just help prevent neck injuries afaik.

You have players running up to 25 miles per hour at each other and then one of them (practically) instantly goes from 25 mph forward to moving backwards and there is nothing that can be done with a helmet to fix that. Players either need some kind of crazy surgery to put pads inside their skulls, which would cause it's own problems, or they need to go slower.

And don't linemen get a lot of CTE? They don't get the huge concussions as much as faster players afaik but they constantly take small blows to the head which apparently builds up. That's a huge area where the research can help and probably is related to force which helmets can reduce.

Plus, a lot of concussions happen when a players head hits the ground, rather than the initial contact from the other player. Getting rid of helmets wouldn't do anything to prevent this.

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Plus, a lot of concussions happen when a players head hits the ground, rather than the initial contact from the other player. Getting rid of helmets wouldn't do anything to prevent this.

No, but adding flags could solve that problem.

Archived