Training Camp 2017: Goodbye Mankato

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Sneaky take: Watch out for Clemmings to take the right guard spot. 

Was thinking this as well. I would love to see Isidora impress and take over the RG spot. I highly doubt it, but it would be cool for a rookie to win that spot. 

Jerick McKinnon is not a happy camper in more ways than one. According to multiple media members in attendance at Minnesota Vikings training camp in Mankato on Thursday, the running back left the field visibly frustrated and removed his shoulder pads. Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press described him as "not in a good mood."

No word has emerged yet as to if it was an injury or what took place, but with McKinnon leaving practice and Latavius Murray on the PUP list, Dalvin Cook came in to take the first-team snaps at running back.

http://min.247sports.com/Bolt/Jerick-McKinnon-storms-off-practice-field-on-Thursday-105548635

On July 26, 2017 at 8:01 AM, SemperFeist said:

I disagree that McKinnon hasn't worked out. He's not a starter by any means, but he showed that he can be a valuable backup and rotational guy in 2015. 

I don't think McKinnon has ever emerged as intended being that he still struggles in pass protection. He's gotten better but why would you not go with Murray as the third down RB, who's actually a very strong blocker.

i think Cook and Murray can be a good duo, I struggle to see many opportunities for McKinnon.

I think this is McKinnon's last season in MN.

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think this is McKinnon's last season in MN.

I tend to agree. It probably is his last year unless he proves to be more valuable than Murray. It is unlikely the team brings McKinnon back next year and keeps Murray. The only path I see to that would be a complete Cook bust or devastating Cook injury.

Another beginning of camp with high aspirations for me. 

Some position battles im looking forward to along with predictions:

RB will be interesting. I feel like (assuming Latavius starts practicing soon) that we will see more of a vet leaning rotation to start the year off, but it won't take long for Cook to get the lion's share of snaps.

WR is kind of open after Diggs and Thielen. I think (and hope) that Treadwell takes over the #3 spot, but it's no guarentee. I think Coley and Adams make the team, with Adams earning a returner spot, and once Floyd comes back I think Coley goes to the practice squad. 

3 tech DT should be fun. I don't have faith that Floyd comes back, and even if he does I'm not sure he isn't that great anymore. I expect Datone Jones to win the job with Jaleel close behind. While I like Tom Johnson, and think he is a good rotational guy, I could see him being cut due to his age.

I think Elflein will be starting the first game of the season so long as he gets everything down mentally, and that will be his only roadblock. 

I think there could be more competition at safety across from Harry than some beleive. Sendejo probably still keeps the starting job, but I expect to see other faces getting time with the 1's more often through camp.

i will be watching the nickel corner spot closely. I hope that Mack has developed and can grab that spot, but it will be interesting to see if Newman has the juice left to possibly edge him out.

Archived