Training Camp 2017: Goodbye Mankato

Heimdallr

7 hours ago, TENINCH said:

What do you guys think about training camp being moved to Eagan next year?

Having gone to college in Mankato, and attending camp there for years, it is a bittersweet move. There is always that kitschy feel with camp down there, but in the end it makes all the sense in the world to transition closer to the cities and to be located at an actual team facility/ complex. Not only does it keep players and coaches closer to their families (most likely), but it also provides easier access to more state of the art facilities, allows for an easier use of nutritional programs, will have better equipment due to the native location, and probably opens up camp to a larger (and more profitable) crowd.

9 hours ago, Klomp said:

Am I the only one who doesn't feel like it should be training camp yet?

I agree, it seems too early, but then I remember, they start pretty early in August playing pre-season games so it has to start now, and then I remember August is getting close, and I don't like that because that means fall is getting close.

19 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The center position is up for grabs, right?

Easton vs Elfein

Floyd vs Treadwell vs Wright (the 3rd receiver could be looked at as a starter given that we may not carry a FB this year)

Stephen vs T. Johnson vs J. Johnson vs Datone Jones (Is he playing UT for us?)

Edit: I think something may have gone wrong. I tried to edit my post and then the screen on my phone twitched out.

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, I expect that we'll see RB by committee to start the season, but as Cook shows he's the best, which I expect him to do, he'll probably take over the RB position by the end of the year.

I'd say closer to midseason he separates himself from the bunch. He's going to be very good!

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, I expect that we'll see RB by committee to start the season, but as Cook shows he's the best, which I expect him to do, he'll probably take over the RB position by the end of the year.

I may be too optimistic, but I think this kid is going to be special. I think he plays a significant role in game 1. The only question is pass protection. If he doesn't pick up the offense and his blocking responsibilities, that will hold him back. His running ability is very good and quite possibly borderline elite...time and our revamped OL will tell. 

5 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I may be too optimistic, but I think this kid is going to be special. I think he plays a significant role in game 1. The only question is pass protection. If he doesn't pick up the offense and his blocking responsibilities, that will hold him back. His running ability is very good and quite possibly borderline elite...time and our revamped OL will tell. 

As an FSU fan he's one of the most special players we've ever had. I think his ceiling is as a Marshal Faulk or LaDanian Tomlinson type player. He's got that kind of talent. I hope the Vikings can build around his ability to run and catch. Our running game certainly won't be as predictable. I still pinch myself when I think about the Vikings drafting him. Never in any scenario did I imagine the Vikings being in a scenario to draft him.

11 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

I agree, I don't really see there being a competition. Cook will be the starter, and Murray will be the 3rd down / blocking guy. I don't really see much of a place for McKinnon (who never lived up to expectations). Hopefully he catches on as a KR/PR because he is one of the most athletic players in the league.

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I disagree that McKinnon hasn't worked out. He's not a starter by any means, but he showed that he can be a valuable backup and rotational guy in 2015. 

For a 3rd round pick with his potential I was just expecting more. A lot of it might just be the OL struggles over the last 3 years though.

I don't look at players based on their draft position, that's a factor 100% out of their control. I look at McKinnon as a converted QB, which is what he played in college. Yes, he ran the ball nearly 80% of the time, but his reads, sight lines, and responsibilities were entirely different than your typical running back. All things that he's been learning in the NFL. 

Archived