Shazier Injury News

MOSteelers56

I thought this might be a good idea, instead of everyone talking about Shazier in different topics. 

Apparently Shazier is not out of the woods yet and the optimism of last night might need to be tempered a bit.

Last night’s encouraging update from the Steelers omitted reference to the question of whether linebacker Ryan Shazier has movement or feeling in his legs. Apparently, he’s not yet where he needs to be regarding that critical aspect of his overall recovery.

Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Shaizer “has some movement in his lower extremities.” Per Rapoport, “the next 24-48 hours are key for increased improvement.”

This implies that there has indeed been some type of spinal-cord injury that has limited full use of his legs, at least for now. Here’s hoping that improvement will continue, and that Shazier will fully and completely recover.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/ryan-shazier-has-some-movement-in-lower-extremities/

30 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

I'm sorry, but I can't take medical updates from Crappaport.  The PFT article quotes him I think. 

Wait and see...  wait and see.  

According to Mike Mitchell, they talked on the phone and Shazier seemed to be in good spirits. I saw that on the depot.

I'm still kind of sick about this. I just hope he's ok. I've never really seen a life altering injury like this in my NFL viewing career. I mean concussions are horrible, but at least you don't see them affect someone immediately typically.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

According to Mike Mitchell, they talked on the phone and Shazier seemed to be in good spirits. I saw that on the depot.

I'm still kind of sick about this. I just hope he's ok. I've never really seen a life altering injury like this in my NFL viewing career. I mean concussions are horrible, but at least you don't see them affect someone immediately typically.

It seems like no one knows for sure what the status is other than it's not definitively bad news.   Glad he is in good spirits. 

Might be looking for 2 ILBs going forward since Shazier may never play again and Williams is just meh.  Really not sure why anyone is excited for Spence.  He is JAG.   

Not trying to sound insensitive, because his health is first and foremost, but the team will go on, even if he cant

Bear in mind that all of the following is with the highest of hopes Shaz can be back 100%...

Not the best draft for 3-4 ILB needs. To no one's surprise, there are no prospects that match Shazier's skill set. UGA Smith is prolly the closest thing in this year's draft but he's a top 10 pick and while fast for an ILB he's not where near Shaz's speed. FWIW: I don't think you need 4.32 speed from your ILB to get to the sidelines. 4.6 will do. If that player had more coverage responsibilities the speed would be beneficial. But they don't use Shaz like that. In the end, I'm hopeful Shazier makes a full recovery and the only ILB spots we need to fill are VWs and 2nd string. 

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Might be looking for 2 ILBs going forward since Shazier may never play again and Williams is just meh.  Really not sure why anyone is excited for Spence.  He is JAG.   

Not trying to sound insensitive, because his health is first and foremost, but the team will go on, even if he cant

Short answer: Not gonna happen.

Longer answer:  Replacing both ILB's in one offseason is a risky proposition.  That means not just finding 2 guys who can play, but also getting a guy who can pick up the defense, know the defense, know the adjustments, and make the calls both on the field and as they come in. The LB crop in both the draft a FA is dreadful.  So the best bet is a 2nd/3rd round pick, let Williams have the green sticker (if Shazier is done), and use the season to train the pick on how to call everything and let him learn on the job.  Then you could use 2019 draft to replace Williams, when his contract is up.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is talking about replacing Williams. He's been pretty solid for us. Obviously he's not Shazier but he gets his job done.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is talking about replacing Williams. He's been pretty solid for us. Obviously he's not Shazier but he gets his job done.

That's debatable but he's a 2 down thumper. Can you imagine him taking Shazier's spot? It wouldn't be pretty.

5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

That's debatable but he's a 2 down thumper. Can you imagine him taking Shazier's spot? It wouldn't be pretty.

He played Shazier's spot during his own rookie year. Granted it wasn't as good as Shazier but he held his own. Williams is solid enough for a starter. He makes plays and his attitude helps fire up the defense. I'm not debating the need for an ILB, I just think going after two is unrealistic and, honestly, not that smart of a decision. 

12 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Despite Shazier's exceptional speed, he's not the greatest guy in coverage.  Why he's not a safety.  VW has been solid and brought a lot to the table.  I'm not ready to ship him out just yet. 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree. He's made some mistakes but ranks second on the team in tackles and sacks plus he has a cheap contract. I gladly take that for the Steelers.

1 minute ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

I agree. He's made some mistakes but ranks second on the team in tackles and sacks plus he has a cheap contract. I gladly take that for the Steelers.

Plus he brings a brand of physicality that we need our defense to feed off of.  

Archived