Shazier Injury News

MOSteelers56

1 minute ago, Danand said:

Dammit, this went from a Tommy Maddox type of injury to something much worse. I am okay with him missing the game this sunday, but I hope he get well and get back on the field without further risks.

I am willing to bet he won't just be missing this week. Hopefully this will be like a @warfelg situation. I read that this surgery has been performed on 3 NFL players and all retired shortly after.

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

how long was your recovery?

3ish Years. 

Heres my story. Senior year of HS I was playing indoor lacrosse. Got crosschecked/speared in the head, went up in the air, landed on the crown of my helmet and cumbled just like Shazier. 

8 hours I couldn’t feel my feet, 36 hours to be out of the hospital. 

It was fine. 

After a year off I had to got the surgery. Felt good. Played for 3 years until I got hit again and the same two vertebrae had the same issue. Got the surgery again but this time couldn’t play anymore. 

Move been a lifelong golfer, and although that movement is technically more damaging, I’m able to play 18 in 4 days walking with little pain. 

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

3ish Years. 

Heres my story. Senior year of HS I was playing indoor lacrosse. Got crosschecked/speared in the head, went up in the air, landed on the crown of my helmet and cumbled just like Shazier. 

8 hours I couldn’t feel my feet, 36 hours to be out of the hospital. 

It was fine. 

After a year off I had to got the surgery. Felt good. Played for 3 years until I got hit again and the same two vertebrae had the same issue. Got the surgery again but this time couldn’t play anymore. 

Move been a lifelong golfer, and although that movement is technically more damaging, I’m able to play 18 in 4 days walking with little pain. 

Damn that must have been frightening.

2 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Damn that must have been frightening.

Yea and no.

And I know that's a loaded answer.  But I'm one of those people that believes that I can overcome anything and beat any odds stacked against me.  I think I see that in Shazier too.  So when I was laying in that bed, the fear for me wasn't the would or wouldn't I be able to walk again.  It wasn't would I be able to play any sports again.  It wasn't anything related to that at all.

The scariest part was....what's my future?

Would I be able to work in the field I wanted?  Would I be able to meet a girl who could love me despite not being able to do certain things?  Would I be able to stand on my wedding day, have kids, take them to the park?  

That's what scared me.

Archived