Shazier Injury News

MOSteelers56

46 minutes ago, grubs10 said:

While I wouldn't put it past the NFL to try some shenanigans like that these days, I think the Steelers would shut that talk down right away.  We are talking about a man's life and livelihood here, I think they are just being cautious and calculated.  I think it honestly come down to the fact that they really didn't and still don't know the severity.  I'm no doctor but the line of thought that they needed the swelling to go down before they could fully know the severity makes sense.  They are probably trying to get multiple opinions like most do with these types of medical situations.  And at the end of the day I'm sure Ryan and the Steelers want to handle this in a way thats in the best interest of Ryan and his family without crumbling to the media and giving half baked updates just for the sake of giving updates.

Like it or not, they don't owe the fans any more transparency with the situation than they have given, and there's no reason for them to try to jump to conclusions just to satisfy the social media world.

they may not owe the "fans" any transparency, but they 'owe' taxpayers transparency.

14 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I'm not a cap/contract guy, so I don't know the details of how that affects the team.  But I want to say that the idea of him being out next year, while probably likely, is not a foregone conclusion.  There has been a lot of speculation and not much of it based on facts from what I've seen.  While, I admit, it is a slim probability of him returning to football next year, I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Have to disagree that he was someone we should let walk after his first contract.  (if this hadn't happened)  I do agree that he has been inconsistent at times and a bit too much boom or bust for my tastes, but he is /was one hell of a dynamic player.  (a difference maker)  And he seemed to play more disciplined as time went on. (more so this year) Can't see any way he was not headed for a second contract.

I agree he WOULD have gotten it, and he is definitely a dynamic player, but before this year he always seemed to be banged up and he has always been pretty inconsistent, even this year.     

And let me just say that its not so much that I was against retaining him....I just think he wouldve been paid more than his play on the field justified.    But, AGAIN....Id rather have seen him get $20m a year than what happened to him.    :(

While he remains hospitalized in Pittsburgh, Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier continues to show gradual improvement from his back injury, people familiar with his condition told ESPN.

Doctors are controlling and limiting his movement as they wait for the swelling and bruising in his back to subside, sources said.

It is premature to say whether Shazier will play football again, but the focus right now is not on his playing career but on trying to facilitate his recovery.

The injury has weighed heavily on the minds of his teammates, the organization and city. For Sunday night's game against the Baltimore Ravens, at least 15 players will be wearing cleats honoring Shazier and his expression, "Shalieve."

Corey Pane, a Hartford, Connecticut-based artist who paints cleats, reached out to Steelers linebacker Bud Dupree shortly after Shazier suffered the injury, and has painted cleats for several Pittsburgh players. Antonio Brown, Stephon Tuitt, Cam Heyward, T.J. Watt and Dupree said they plan to honor Shazier with cleats that bear his name or likeness.

"I just wanted to do something for Shazier to show him some support and send some good energy his way," Pane said this weekend.

Shalieve, ****...

“Doctors will not be able to make a more exact determination of the extent of his injuries until after swelling dissipates, sources said, but there remains every expectation Shazier will be able to walk and lead a normal life, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports wrote Sunday morning. “The surgery he underwent back in Pittsburgh was a procedure doctors initially thought might be required on Monday night, when he was rushed to the hospital from the stadium. He remains in good spirits.”

That is great news.

10 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

“Doctors will not be able to make a more exact determination of the extent of his injuries until after swelling dissipates, sources said, but there remains every expectation Shazier will be able to walk and lead a normal life, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports wrote Sunday morning. “The surgery he underwent back in Pittsburgh was a procedure doctors initially thought might be required on Monday night, when he was rushed to the hospital from the stadium. He remains in good spirits.”

That is great news.

Yes... thank you. 

I wonder if Shazier, when healthy, could come back as an assistant coach or something....maybe learn from Porter and other coaches?

Seems like a guy we should keep around the team, even if his career is over.

15 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wonder if Shazier, when healthy, could come back as an assistant coach or something....maybe learn from Porter and other coaches?

As long as he is not teaching tackling teachnique

22 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I have too thought about this... his leadership qualities are extremely important. 

Archived