Shazier Injury News

MOSteelers56

8 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think its too early to say when or if he'll come back

seen people in the medical field tweet he could be back in 4-6 months

I couldn't make out who they were quoting but it seemed as if it was someone within the Steeler organization or someone in the know. 

*Watched it a few more times and couldn't make out what/who he said . 

I dont want to come across as insensitive, because his health and well being are of the utmost importance, but the team will still go on and I had a question and a comment about this...

First off, if he is already deemed out for next year and is potentially done, how does that work for his contract going forward?   We picked up his 5th year option, but Im wondering how that works if he is perhaps retired.    Does that become a dead money hit for 2018?    Or is there an injury settlement?    Its a confusing situation.

Secondly, and I know this comment may not sit well with some fans, but I was never big on giving him a huge long term deal.   I thought he was inconsistent and more of an occasional splash guy.    I would still prefer he be healthy and give him that contract than what ended up happening, but from a pure football perspective, I was on board with perhaps letting him go after his contract was up.

The entire situation is just heartbreaking and I wish him nothing but the absolute best, but we have no control over it, so we have to look at how it impacts as a team going forward.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont want to come across as insensitive, because his health and well being are of the utmost importance, but the team will still go on and I had a question and a comment about this...

First off, if he is already deemed out for next year and is potentially done, how does that work for his contract going forward?   We picked up his 5th year option, but Im wondering how that works if he is perhaps retired.    Does that become a dead money hit for 2018?    Or is there an injury settlement?    Its a confusing situation.

Secondly, and I know this comment may not sit well with some fans, but I was never big on giving him a huge long term deal.   I thought he was inconsistent and more of an occasional splash guy.    I would still prefer he be healthy and give him that contract than what ended up happening, but from a pure football perspective, I was on board with perhaps letting him go after his contract was up.

The entire situation is just heartbreaking and I wish him nothing but the absolute best, but we have no control over it, so we have to look at how it impacts as a team going forward.

Looking at his contract situation sucks because next year he was slated to double his lifetime earnings. Hopefully there is a way for him to get paid something that doesn't hurt our salary cap because I truly feel sorry for him if his career is over right before he got a chance at a big pay day. 

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I'm not a cap/contract guy, so I don't know the details of how that affects the team.  But I want to say that the idea of him being out next year, while probably likely, is not a foregone conclusion.  There has been a lot of speculation and not much of it based on facts from what I've seen.  While, I admit, it is a slim probability of him returning to football next year, I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Have to disagree that he was someone we should let walk after his first contract.  (if this hadn't happened)  I do agree that he has been inconsistent at times and a bit too much boom or bust for my tastes, but he is /was one hell of a dynamic player.  (a difference maker)  And he seemed to play more disciplined as time went on. (more so this year) Can't see any way he was not headed for a second contract.

That does make me wonder about his contract.  Will there be a huge amount of cap space wasted on his contract if he's done?  I hope not.  He's made 9.5 mill so far (of which he probably saw 2 or 3 if you count agents' cut and taxation), so that's a lot of money if he didn't blow it all.  He's only 25.  He was set to make 8.7 mill next year.  For him, it would've been nice if he'd have seen that money at least.  I'm sure he'll get some of it, if not all.  Not sure how that works.  

As far as retaining him goes, I think he was what made our entire defense go.  He wasn't perfect, but he was so dynamic with such great range.  He was my favorite player on D, by a mile, until we got TJ Watt (whom I was a big fan of in college).  But even this year, Shazier was still my favorite player to watch on the D.....TJ just made more competition for the top spot.  I also think he was arguably the best player on the D and the #1 or #2 ILB in the entire NFL.  Just look at those games he had late last year, was it against Cinci, where he pretty much single handedly won us the game?  Dude can be a monster.

3 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

As far as retaining him goes, I think he was what made our entire defense go

Bingo.  He loved football and loved (and was well-loved by) his teammates by all accounts.  You need guys like that for a championship football team.  To say nothing of his talent and IQ.

Does anybody think that, with the optics on this injury and the state of the NFL in 2017, combined with the fact that information trickling out about this injury is very slow and nothing is confirmed really, its possible the NFL has told the Steelers to be very slow about releasing information in order to dampen the impact if/when it comes out that Shazier's career is over?

My thought is, after that hit and the game/week surrounding it, if the news came out at once on ESPN and stuff like 2 days later that Shazier's career is over, the public outcry would be huge. But by waiting to slowly disseminate information about it, the hit and injury become sort of old news, and by the time it eventually comes out, the public is all caring about something else already.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Does anybody think that, with the optics on this injury and the state of the NFL in 2017, combined with the fact that information trickling out about this injury is very slow and nothing is confirmed really, its possible the NFL has told the Steelers to be very slow about releasing information in order to dampen the impact if/when it comes out that Shazier's career is over?

My thought is, after that hit and the game/week surrounding it, if the news came out at once on ESPN and stuff like 2 days later that Shazier's career is over, the public outcry would be huge. But by waiting to slowly disseminate information about it, the hit and injury become sort of old news, and by the time it eventually comes out, the public is all caring about something else already.

While I wouldn't put it past the NFL to try some shenanigans like that these days, I think the Steelers would shut that talk down right away.  We are talking about a man's life and livelihood here, I think they are just being cautious and calculated.  I think it honestly come down to the fact that they really didn't and still don't know the severity.  I'm no doctor but the line of thought that they needed the swelling to go down before they could fully know the severity makes sense.  They are probably trying to get multiple opinions like most do with these types of medical situations.  And at the end of the day I'm sure Ryan and the Steelers want to handle this in a way thats in the best interest of Ryan and his family without crumbling to the media and giving half baked updates just for the sake of giving updates.

Like it or not, they don't owe the fans any more transparency with the situation than they have given, and there's no reason for them to try to jump to conclusions just to satisfy the social media world.

Archived