Postseason Plundering of the Coaching Staff

swede700

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Age, I believe, I working against the coaches on our staff. 

The NFL is a copycat league and teams are going to be looking for the young buck who can reach these young players, a la Sean McVay. 

Agree...but, I'm fine with that.  But the smarter teams will just simply pick the best candidate, regardless of age.  Most of the top-tier coaches on our team are in their 50s and they don't seem to have a huge issue with reaching the young players.  McVay (as was Tomlin) is more of an exception, and I think teams will find that out.  

21 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Paton, Shurmur, Edwards and Woods all in jeopardy.... 

Any chance Sparano could get OC/HC looks again?

I’d say no, he has had enough opportunities throughout his years. I’d guess he is going to be in Minnesota for a while unless he would leave with Shurmur. 

Before the Giants hire a coach, they’ll most likely hire a General Manager. And with former Giants G.M. Ernie Accorsi serving as a consultant, one name is already making the rounds in some league circles as the most likely candidate for the job: Former Panthers G.M. Dave Gettleman.

The 66-year-old Gettleman, who spent more than a decade with the Giants before being hired by the Panthers (at Accorsi’s recommendation), was abruptly fired late in the offseason. Because he’s currently not connected to any team, he could be hired right now. (And if he’s initially hired on an interim basis, the Giants could hire him without complying with the Rooney Rule.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/dave-gettleman-could-resurface-as-next-giants-g-m/

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Age, I believe, I working against the coaches on our staff. 

The NFL is a copycat league and teams are going to be looking for the young buck who can reach these young players, a la Sean McVay. 

I doubt it, because how many OCs have that type of successful tenure at a young age? McVay was an OC (and a good one) for three years before getting hired. Teams probably aren't going to skip over guys who've proven themselves as OCs in order to hire the young hotshot unless he already has a solid tenure. The only guy who I can even think of who'd be in a similar situation is Jim Bob Cooter, but I can't see him getting a HC job this year.

28 minutes ago, Klomp said:

The only guy who I can even think of who'd be in a similar situation is Jim Bob Cooter, but I can't see him getting a HC job this year.

Jim Bob will be the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns, after they clean house again this year.  The plan is coming together...the Tennessee alumnus booster owner hires a former Tennessee QB to be his President/GM (Peyton Manning) who hires a former Tennessee QB (Erik Ainge's backup) to be the head coach (Cooter).  Brilliant!

What are you doing, Spiels' bro?

Chris Spielman, former NFL player and current analyst, joined the "Bull and Fox" show on 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland earlier this week and said that "it would be cool" to see his brother come to Ohio as the Browns' team president.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Rick-Spielman-of-Minnesota-Vikings-discussed-as-potential-fit-for-Cleveland-Browns-111880401

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Why would Spielman leave Minnesota for the Browns? He is already the top dog here.

NOBODY wants to to be part of that mess.

The only thing would be the "hometown" aspect...and the ego boost of being considered the franchise saviour.  

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He's [Spielman] got a big family here though. Would be tough to uproot that I'm sure.

Joe Berger and his wife, Abby, have adopted two of their four children, and Berger has been a regular participant in the Vikings Adoption Fun Fest. The annual event, hosted by Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman and Executive Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski, was held in the field house at Winter Park. More than 500 people attended the evening that offered fun for the whole family.

“It’s just a fun event, you know? This is an event that Rick and Rob put together to just get families together and enjoy being in the atmosphere – just hanging out together, it’s almost like a family picnic in the summer,” Berger said. “You’re just here to have fun. It’s a wonderful event.”

Youth of all ages ran through the field house, dodging around brightly colored cones and tossing miniature Vikings footballs. They were able to play in large, football-themed inflatables, stop at a face-painting or balloon-animal station, and dress up with an assortment of props at a photo booth. Organized locker-room tours also were given to groups throughout the night.

Partway through the evening, guests gathered on the field for a brief message from Spielman and Brzezinski, who have adopted six and five children, respectively. Spielman introduced his second-oldest son, Luis, who was adopted into the Spielman family at age 15. Luis, who now has children of his own, shared the way that his life was changed through the Spielmans’ decision to grow their family through adoption.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Players-Executives-Welcome-Families-to-Annual-Adoption-Fun-Fest/01b0bab1-baf9-4857-8471-b8cfa6620448?sf175545618=1#start

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sashi Brown was fired in Cleveland. I for one wouldn’t mind seeing him brought about our front office in some capacity. His ability to get solid trades, especially during the draft, were better than Rick’s. 

That's got to be the first in the line of successive moves for that franchise...I see that they may already have their eyes on John Dorsey though...who was a terrible drafter here in KC.  But, I wouldn't want anything to do with Brown, unless it's as a staff attorney, because he doesn't have talent evaluation skills.  

Archived