Postseason Plundering of the Coaching Staff

swede700

16 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Black Monday will be interesting to see how many more coaches get the pink slip. Can someone remind how interviewing coaches on playoff teams works? 

Coaches that are on a bye can have initial interview during that week.  Coaches that win the WC card game can interview after that game, but team must give permission.  No interviews take place after divisional round.  Assistant coaches on SB teams can have second interview in the bye week leading up to the SB, but team will have to give permission.  

I think we can survive losing Shurmur by just plugging Sparano in and Edwards is Defensive Coordinator in name only under Zim. So I think we should be fine even if we lose both coordinators with Zim at the helm. I would love to keep this coaching staff in place for at least another year but with success come higher salaries for players and losing your assistant coaches.

8 minutes ago, Duff34man said:

I think we can survive losing Shurmur by just plugging Sparano in

No.. no no no no no... please no o.O

There is a reason he only spent one season as an OC and offensive play caller with the Jets. It was miserable.

Just a plain-jane smashmouth offense that will stick to Run-Run-Pass unless its 3 yards or less and he will run the dang ball again.

Sparano while being a position coach seems to be fine, but has struggled as an OC and a HC for a reason.

14 minutes ago, Duff34man said:

I think we can survive losing Shurmur by just plugging Sparano in and Edwards is Defensive Coordinator in name only under Zim. So I think we should be fine even if we lose both coordinators with Zim at the helm. I would love to keep this coaching staff in place for at least another year but with success come higher salaries for players and losing your assistant coaches.

Gimme Stefanski over Sparano.

To be honest, I still don't see any team hiring Shurmur. I am sure he will take a couple interviews, but usually you don't see many coaches with a head coaching record of 10-23 get another shot. It would be one thing if he was 52 years old and never was a head coach, someone may take a chance on him, but after this season and how Sean McVay did it may start a trend for this year's hirings.

Coach's like Mike Vrabel, Jim-Bob Cooter, Teryl Austin, Pete Carmichael, Matt Nagy, Joe DeFlippo, and Matt Lafleur are all younger and would be first time head coaches. I see a lot of people like this get their shot.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

To be honest, I still don't see any team hiring Shurmur. I am sure he will take a couple interviews, but usually you don't see many coaches with a head coaching record of 10-23 get another shot. It would be one thing if he was 52 years old and never was a head coach, someone may take a chance on him, but after this season and how Sean McVay did it may start a trend for this year's hirings.

Coach's like Mike Vrabel, Jim-Bob Cooter, Teryl Austin, Pete Carmichael, Matt Nagy, Joe DeFlippo, and Matt Lafleur are all younger and would be first time head coaches. I see a lot of people like this get their shot.

I hope you're right. 

If we were to lose Shurmur, and we went for an outside hire, I would keep an eye on Hue Jackson (if he gets fired as well). This could be a year down the line if Shurmur stays put next year. Jackson worked with Zim in Cincy, I think he might have tried to get Hue in as our OC when Zim got the HC job, and he has had nothing but good things to say about him.

6 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

If we were to lose Shurmur, and we went for an outside hire, I would keep an eye on Hue Jackson (if he gets fired as well). This could be a year down the line if Shurmur stays put next year. Jackson worked with Zim in Cincy, I think he might have tried to get Hue in as our OC when Zim got the HC job, and he has had nothing but good things to say about him.

He sure does well with making nothing into something at the RB position and utilizing his WR's and usually isn't bad with QB's

He has always been a pretty solid OC other than this little stent where he is being the HC and OC in Cleveland.

I wouldn't hate it doing a quick read on his Wiki. Put Dalton in the Pro Bowl (Same tier as Case/Teddy as of now), trained Flacco while Flacco was actually good, made something out of Stephen Davis and McFadden.

His offensive style is actually pretty similar to what Shurmur does, it is a lot of getting the ball into the playmakers hands. Hard to see in in Cleveland because he literally has had no weapons on that offense but he is actually using Duke a little more, and basically doing with Gordon what we are doing with Thielen.

Would be interesting for sure. We know Zimmer like hiring people with HC experience on the roster. Also has a little bit of experience with Sparano when Sparano was the TE coach with the Redskins and Jackson was the RB coach.

Even if we were to raise Kevin Stefanski to our OC and use Hue Jackson as a QB coach.

58 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Heck yes, that'd be my #1 guy. And, nobody is going to hire him as a HC after he just won 1 game in 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

9-23 is only one game worse than his predecessor and his successor with the Browns, as well as the first 2 years of Romeo Crennel's tenure.  Considering how that organization is run, I still believe he will largely be given a pass.  That was a no-win situation.  

He also managed to get the most out of Josh Cribbs as a receiver, Trent Richardson as a runner, and Brandon Weeden as a QB than they ever did in their career.  

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

How does the rules work with being able to block a team from interviewing as a coach? Not familiar with that situation, I have seen it done before.

Outside of the rules I mentioned, a team can't block an assistant from interviewing for the HC job.  They can, however, block any lower level assistant from interviewing for a coordinator job.  

Archived