Week 14:Broncos Jets GDT

thebestever6

47 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So Leary's good season ends prematurely.

Thing is that he's been very good, clearly our best FA acquisition (Whitworth still a huge miss, but can't complain about Leary at G).   But the back issue is also a warning - Leary's got a ton of mileage on him from his DAL days, and this about when issues can mount.   Elway's deal is really only for next season, then there's a very reasonably small cap hit to parting ways, if Leary's back issue keeps popping up next year.  It's definitely a huge opportunity for McGovern to show us what he can do - it's conceivable though that Leary & DEN part ways after 2018, so we shouldn't be passing up interior OL in this upcoming draft (along with RT).

Do we know if he had any MRI's to his back? I wonder how serious this back injury is? I believe we were all worried about his knee issues but to see him have back issue is alarming. I wonder if we are shutting him down because of the lost season and to get that long hard look at Mcgoven? 

1 hour ago, iLikeDefense said:

Do we know if he had any MRI's to his back? I wonder how serious this back injury is? I believe we were all worried about his knee issues but to see him have back issue is alarming. I wonder if we are shutting him down because of the lost season and to get that long hard look at Mcgoven? 

No need to risk Leary suffering further injury - give his back as much time as possible to heal.

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Left Tackle: Garrett Bolles

Left Guard: Ronald Leary

Center: Matt Paradis

Right Guard: Connor McGovern

Right Tackle: Greg Robinson (Free agent from the Lions)

Wouldn't mind seeing that in 2018.

Robinson is no good. Get a rookie in the early second if we go QB in the first 

3 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

Thing is if it was just to get a look at McGovern we could bench Garcia.   So the Leary IR is likely precautionary but the back issue is also likely to be legit.   Elway gets full credit for ensuring this was essentially a 2-year commitment if there is a long term issue.   Either way extended rest is the best plan in a lost season regardless.  

15 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Left Tackle: Garrett Bolles

Left Guard: Ronald Leary

Center: Matt Paradis

Right Guard: Connor McGovern

Right Tackle: Greg Robinson (Free agent from the Lions)

Wouldn't mind seeing that in 2018.

I wonder if Paradis is done though...he had that hip surgery, which does nobody any good.  In which case, McGOvern captaining the line would be cool...as strong as he is in the middle, I wonder if that improves things along the line?  

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I wonder if Paradis is done though...he had that hip surgery, which does nobody any good.  In which case, McGOvern captaining the line would be cool...as strong as he is in the middle, I wonder if that improves things along the line?  

To be fair Paradis spent all offseason rehabbing from the hip surgeries.  A loss in strength would be expected and in him that’s his Achilles.

Let’s see how Paradis fares with an off-season of conditoning and power training to see if he returns to form.  McGovern’s versatility though makes for a good backup plan if he continues to play well next 3 games at least we know we have 1 G in place who’s cheap and can kick inside if Paradis can’t get back to his late 2015-6 form. 

Either way though both interior OL and T should be addressed in the draft.   Depth matters almost every team needs to play 7+ OL for meaningful snaps in a season and Leary’s injury is a reminder we need to always be planning long term and not just 2018.  

On 12/10/2017 at 9:24 PM, The Helicopter said:

Losing to the Colts has to help our draft position, or will they own the tie breaker?

Hmmm, after all this QBOTF talk, it would be amusing if Elway passes up two franchise QB’s to roll into 2018 w/Lynch...lol

Right now, Indy is 3-10 with a .490 SoS. We're 4-9 with a .486 SoS. If they beat us on Thursday night then we would have the same records and what happens in the other 15 games will obviously impact the SoS for both teams. 

The Niners (currently 3-10) have a chance to get one more win (this week at home vs. TN) but will almost assuredly lose their last two (vs, JAX, at LAR). That has them finishing 4-12 but their current SoS is .509 and they play in a strong division. 

Even if we lose out I think the highest we can get is third overall as I don't see either the Giants (2-11, vs PHI, at ARZ, vs WSH) or Browns (0-13, vs BAL, at CHI, at PIT) winning another game. Those two appear destined for the first and second overall picks, respectively, and both will be in the market for a QB. 

On 12/11/2017 at 5:38 AM, jolly red giant said:

I will outline my view - I want the Broncos to win every game they play - I go around with a grin on my face every time they win - I sulk for a week when they lose.

I don't care about the draft order - it is Elway's job to draft players, sign free agents and hire coaches - if he can do that then the Broncos win - if he can't then the Broncos need to find someone up to the job. 

I think Elway got a swelled head after the SB win and maybe this season (as a result of all the mistakes he made) will be a humbling experience for him - and will make him better at his (very well paid) job. We will find out before too long.

I have heard, and I cannot remember where so forgive me, that Elway has been seeking outside advice about what has gone wrong the last 18 or so months. I honestly think he thought he had a good plan. I don't think anyone expected Okung, Stephenson, Watson, Garcia and Lynch, among others, to flame out as badly as they did. I do think there is going to be some house-cleaning in the FO this offseason. Getting some new voices in the room, as I said the other day, is imperative. 

On 12/10/2017 at 10:19 PM, Counselor said:

We aren't getting a shot at Rosen or Darnold without trading up.

I have that feeling too. 

As I said in my prior post, the Giants and Browns seem destined for the first and second picks and both will be in the market for a QB. However, there is Kirk Cousins hanging out there and the Browns certainly have the money to sign him and the draft capital to offer Washington should they try to franchise him a third time. Would Cousins, who will likely have his pick of the lot sans Luck becoming available (and maybe even with Luck available, given his shoulder), want to go to the dumpster fire of a franchise that is the Cleveland Browns? 

Our hope has to be that Cousins goes to one of those two and Luck stays put in Indy. That should allow us to get whichever QB falls in the top 5. Indy, San Fran, Chicago and Tampa, other teams that have a chance to get a high-ish pick, won't be in the market for a QB. We might need to worry about Cincy, the Jets or even Washington if Cousins leaves, trading up, say with Indy or San Fran who at least have a chance to be ahead of us, to snag a QB. 

The next few months are going to be interesting. 

22 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I have heard, and I cannot remember where so forgive me, that Elway has been seeking outside advice about what has gone wrong the last 18 or so months. I honestly think he thought he had a good plan. I don't think anyone expected Okung, Stephenson, Watson, Garcia and Lynch, among others, to flame out as badly as they did. I do think there is going to be some house-cleaning in the FO this offseason. Getting some new voices in the room, as I said the other day, is imperative. 

I am gonna guess Kubiak will be one of those old...yet, newer voices in terms of personnel and talent selections.  Funny...as much as the Broncos have relied on John Elway through the years, I think Kubiak seems to be just as important of a figure for keeping the organization as one of the best.  Maybe they need to create a statue for him outside Papa Johns at Mile High? 

Archived