JuJu Smith-Schuster, George Illoka Suspended 1 game

TheVillain112

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21678678/juju-smith-schuster-pittsburgh-steelers-george-iloka-cincinnati-bengals-suspended-1-game

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and Cincinnati Bengals safety George Iloka were each suspended one game for hits in Monday night's game, the NFL announced Tuesday.

Don't really agree with either suspension but I get it.  The Bengal-Steeler games have gotten way past the point where it's enjoyable. I understand the league may come down heavier on players in this game.  For JuJu, I think the 'taunting' after played a part.  For Iloka, he's gotten a lot of unnecessary roughness penalties, granted I think it's tough playing safety and trying to cover a lot of ground to not hit guys 'illegally' sometimes.  Neither I thought were malicious and hopefully they both win on appeals, but honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal either way.  Hopefully next years games between the two teams are cleaner...

14 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21678678/juju-smith-schuster-pittsburgh-steelers-george-iloka-cincinnati-bengals-suspended-1-game

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and Cincinnati Bengals safety George Iloka were each suspended one game for hits in Monday night's game, the NFL announced Tuesday.

Don't really agree with either suspension but I get it.  The Bengal-Steeler games have gotten way past the point where it's enjoyable. I understand the league may come down heavier on players in this game.  For JuJu, I think the 'taunting' after played a part.  For Iloka, he's gotten a lot of unnecessary roughness penalties, granted I think it's tough playing safety and trying to cover a lot of ground to not hit guys 'illegally' sometimes.  Neither I thought were malicious and hopefully they both win on appeals, but honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal either way.  Hopefully next years games between the two teams are cleaner...

I definitely didn't like JuJu taunting.

11 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Gronks thing was way worse.

Jujus seemed bang-bang. I agree about the taunt. I think without the taunt, he doesn't get suspended. Which means he shouldn't get suspended.

Yeah I agree with this. JuJus hit was a football play. I dont agree with the taunt but if Gronkowski got one game for what he did then JuJu should just be fined.

Weak calls, IMO. A bunch of reasons why. I only saw Iloka’s once or twice and that one especially looked incidental based off what I remember. 

Thought they’d all be fined but I guess the NFL had to make a show after that blood bath. 

The NFL needs to add a targeting rule like in college.  Iloka was targeting as it is described in the college rules.

In college football, these things are targeting fouls, per the NCAA’s rulebook:

1. Making “forcible contact against an opponent with the helmet crown,” or the top of the tackler’s head.
  2. Making “forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.”

A targeting foul is an auto-ejection, and if it occurs in the second half, it includes a suspension for the first half of the following game.

For a play to be targeting, it also has to have at least one “indicator.”

• Launching, or “leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area”
  • A crouch and upward thrust to make head or neck contact, even if the hitter still has feet on the ground
  • Leading with the “helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area”
  • “Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet”

The targeting rule would have gotten Shazier ejected if he was not carted off  If the NFL really wants to take player safety seriously it needs the targeting rule.

Seeing the Schuster hit in real time I thought it was the Hines Ward rule spot on.  in slow motion it looks more of a clean hit with the helmets hitting as a result of the shoulder strike to the chest.  I totally understand why the flag was thrown ( that and the taunting). 

I personally agree with Steve Young in his comment that if the NFL wants to stop the hits like Gronk and Evans did they need to be 4 game suspensions.

Total BS, imo. Gronk absolutely deserved the suspension for his dirty hit AFTER the play. The hits last night were both in the flow of the game and just miscalculations that could have gone either way. Only reason either is getting suspended is because of the history between these two teams and the fact that this was on national television. Do not agree with this at all.

44 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

JuJus hit was a football play. I dont agree with the taunt but if Gronkowski got one game for what he did then JuJu should just be fined.

This; Gronk and JuJu's plays were equivalent in the eyes of the NFL..?

39 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Oh sweet summer child, you're expecting consistency from the NFL front office? xD

Oh yeah, you're right.

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

This; Gronk and JuJu's plays were equivalent in the eyes of the NFL..?

I don’t think it was the hit so much as the taunt. I don’t agree with the suspension but taunting over a potentially (seriously) concussed player on national television is not a good look. So I understand.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I don’t think it was the hit so much as the taunt. I don’t agree with the suspension but taunting over a potentially (seriously) concussed player on national television is not a good look. So I understand.

I suppose, don't want to beat a dead horse here but even with the taunting I don't see how they can be considered equivalent.

Probably an exercise in futility trying to figure it out, though.

Archived