The Road to 53: The Birds cut the dead weight

EaglesPeteC

I skimmed that Morrow thread. There was a couple guys sayin it was an under the radar signing. A couple guys wait and see comment and a couple outsiders saying he was going to be good for us. Yet, nothing from the guy rounding third, blowing kisses. We got a straw man here? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

The jersey comment was clearly a joke. I went back and checked and ACO, ninjapirate, and Eaglesbluedon were the frontrunners. 

Idk exactly what I said (and frankly this is a little distasteful) but I'm gonna guess it was something along the lines of him looking like a solid addition. Which I don't think is/was some take to be embarrassed about feeling.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Remember Eagles are 31st in the waiver order, so a higher profile guy likely is getting picked up before the Eagles get a chance 

The reason I said it’s weird is because of all the positions I thought howie might make a last second trade for, I didn’t envision it being tight end. And then keeping 4 TEs on the roster. Now if it was for a safety, or linebacker, or even a WR I’d understand.

But this is also why I’m not a GM.lol this might be that one move that we look back on in a year or two and think “wow classic howie thinking outside the box type move”.

Edited by Jays3

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

The Eagles have been nationally praised 2 years in a row as having one of, if not the best, constructed rosters in the league. 

Howie haters: “tOlD YoU aBoUt MoRrOw!”

lol Cmon guys, what does the guy have to do. Clearly you know he undervalues some positions. We can’t have guys absolutely everywhere. 

I'm Howie's biggest fan and I definitely feel TOLD YOU ABOUT MORROW myself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

The reason I said it’s weird is because of all the positions I thought howie might make a last second trade for, I didn’t envision it being tight end. And then keeping 4 TEs on the roster. Now if it was for a safety, or linebacker, or even a WR I’d understand.

But this is also why I’m not a GM.lol this might be that one move that we look back on in a year or two and think “wow classic howie thinking outside the box type move”.

I'm not sure I buy that.  There's a couple ways to look at this trade.  Either Calcaterra is on the chopping block, or the Eagles simply chose to replace the Pascal role with an extra TE.  Remains to be seen how the game day roster shakes out.  I don't love Covey getting cut because we don't have a legitimate punt returner currently on the roster.  That said, I think a few more roster moves are coming.

3 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I'm not sure I buy that.  There's a couple ways to look at this trade.  Either Calcaterra is on the chopping block, or the Eagles simply chose to replace the Pascal role with an extra TE.  Remains to be seen how the game day roster shakes out.  I don't love Covey getting cut because we don't have a legitimate punt returner currently on the roster.  That said, I think a few more roster moves are coming.

Yeah, I’m assuming more moves are coming and this will make more sense eventually.

Here's what was said:

n EagleBlueDon
Seems like a solid signing.

Not gonna just assume that when he played with that trash defense around him.
Willing to give him a chance before I write him off

I mean this is definitely, in my opinion, the correct take.
He had from what I'm seeing, a solid year in 2022.
Absolutely zero reason to just write the dude off lol that's so overreacrionary.

- Jeezla
Our defense might suck

I don't know if you play fantasy football, but like 2 or 3 years ago you basically started any tight end that played against the Raiders, and Nick Morrow was the reason why.

- downundermike
Not sure what to think at this point.

Lions were the worst pass defense in the NFL last year.
Alex Anzalone played the most snaps of any Lions LBer.
His passer rating against was 79.8.  
22 points better than Morrow.

If he starts, we have problems.

+ EaglesFlySBChampsHigh
Another great low key move.
Keep it going Howie!
I assume he was with Desai at one point?

Was looking at some stats it said he played 100% of snaps the entire year!?
That had to be a typo or he's a robot lol

+ NYRaider
Morrow is good.
A lot of the Raiders section was hoping we'd bring him back.

- Danger
I'm just not feeling Morrow at this time.
Cunningham's been making some plays in coverage in TC from what I've heard.

At this point in time I think that training camp means more than pre season when it comes to who makes the team.
Maybe morrow makes the team but his job starting is certainly up in the air.
He's been a massive disappointment in camp
To be fair I think I’ve heard he started doing better since we brought Cunningham and Jack in.
Maybe that lit a fire under him. With that said, I don’t know if he’s the best compliment to start next to Dean.
I think I’d rather have Ellis with his athleticism and length, but he has to continue to impress and have some good joint practices and games to be that 2nd LB.
We could still trade for another LB later on before the season like we did with CGJ.

n TheRealMcCoy
Morrow has played well in preseason.
I'd lean towards him making the team.
Seems like a lot have left him off in their predicitions.

n Jroc04
Quality backup just in case.

Note:  I didn't include every comment, but gave the leit motif of each poster

Jeezla and Danger just panned him throughout.

downundermike spoke nicely and then did his research, never committing until he was sure it was in the negative

EagleBlueDon started off hot, then changed the subject.

EaglesFlySBChampsHigh made a very early positive comment and basically redacted it.

Jcroc04 and TheRealMcCoy gave tepid, positive responses.

NYRaider* could not say enough nice things about him ... as if he was courting him

*Who is that?

Note:  I've said the wrong thing in about 20% of my posts.
Also, I've been borderline genius 20% of the time.
Another 59.9% is forgettable.

Also, I drink and post and am looking for a fight sometimes.
I only posted all of this because of the aforementioned reason.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Very interesting that they kept 7 dt and 7 CB and 6 edge guys.  Lots of capital in those positions.

Makes sense with the defense. If they are going to consistently have 3 DT bodies out there a lot of the time. I think the uniqueness of the CB situation dictated just that many. Maddox can’t stay healthy, Zech got hurt and those young guys looked good. You also have your top two guys being old for the position. Going heavy to try and see if any can slide into a starting role maybe in the future makes sense.

The future at CB for the Eagles looks bright with Jobe, Ricks, and Goodrich making the team. Obviously they need to continue to improve but that is three UDFA corners that all made the team and impressed while doing it. Crazy stuff. I am just glad Josiah Scott isn't going to be out there if Maddox gets hurt.

• Like 1

4 TEs is stupid. I don’t love the room but someone’s gotta go. I imagine a lot of Swift split out, so maybe that’s the reason for the limited WRs. A little worried we don’t have a RB that can eat carries that has some durability. The defense is mostly ok. I think it’s smart of Howie to cut Siposs so we can keep a fringe guy for the time being. There’s always 2-3 guys laying around that can punt as good as Siposs. No harm really cutting him. I expect some movement in the next week. Trade or signings. Nothing big though. That’s my two cents. You guys can breath now.