If Fox Stays

chisoxguy7

The general consensus on this forum is that John Fox will be fired, and that Ryan Pace will stay, which I agree is likely. But allow me to play devil's advocate and propose the following scenarios:

-Both John Fox and Ryan Pace stay

-Both John Fox and Ryan Pace go

I anticipate that the general opinion will be that the first scenario is far more disastrous, but there are some scenarios that could play out in this event:

1. Fox stays, but hires new OC, DC, STC. It's entirely possible. And at the same time, it probably doesn't solve the problem. But if the McCaskeys are tired of paying people to not coach, this could happen.

2. Fox stays, making minimal changes to the coaching staff, perhaps hiring one new coordinator. Pace goes out and makes a splash or two in free agency. If this happens, the two are officially joined at the hip.

3. Some other scenario, you decide

On the other hand, Pace and Fox could both be fired, which, in all honesty, is preferable to me compared to firing Fox and keeping Pace. Sure, we already have a QB, and whoever we hired would have to think he could be our franchise going forward. But this option makes the head coaching vacancy much more appealing, arguably even more appealing than that of the Giants. And this is also the one that nobody is talking about, because nobody knows what the McCaskeys are thinking. People can speculate all they want about Pace scouting head coaching candidates, but nobody knows what the McCaskeys are doing behind the scenes.

What are some ramifications you see in the event that either both Fox and Pace stay, or they both go?

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If Fox stays I am done. Come see me in the Rams forum.

If Pace and Fox both get fired, so he it. 36 loses, a ton of embarrassing loses and that is what you get.

You can’t be a Cub fan, right? You woulda been calling for Theo and Jed’s heads in 2014. Maybe sooner. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

You can’t be a Cub fan, right? You woulda been calling for Theo and Jed’s heads in 2014. Maybe sooner. 

I am a Cubs fan.

You saw signs of life in the rebuild. 

Theo has a resume. Pace has nothing.

Should I have been upset when Quade and Sweum got canned?

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am a Cubs fan.

You saw signs of life in the rebuild. 

Theo has a resume. Pace has nothing.

Should I have been upset when Quade and Sweum got canned?

Epstein was also just a guy with a Harvard pedigree and an unconventional plan in Boston until he was given the shot to do it his way and the organizational patience to see it all the way through. I suppose the Epstein parallel more closely mirrors what he did with the Red Sox than Cubs but you obviously understood where I was going with it, and if you can’t see the young talent in the building here that’s still largely in its budding stages here then you’re trying not to see it. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Epstein was also just a guy with a Harvard pedigree and an unconventional plan in Boston until he was given the shot to do it his way and the organizational patience to see it all the way through. I suppose the Epstein parallel more closely mirrors what he did with the Red Sox than Cubs but you obviously understood where I was going with it, and if you can’t see the young talent in the building here that’s still largely in its budding stages here then you’re trying not to see it. 

I see some young talent. I also see a lot of misses.

As I have said, don't want him fired. I want him to take an appropriate amount of **** for 36 loses.

Fox/Gase/Fangio was the initial staff and they got a career year out of Jay Cutler.

I can't fault Pace for Gase getting poached and Fox promoting Dowell Loggains.

I CAN blame him for Glennon, but I understand what Pace was trying to do... he had some $$$ to burn and liked Glennon so he signed him and drafted his QB of the future. Took two bites at the apple, I can respect that. He whiffed on Glennon and he'll cut him with little recourse.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Fox/Gase/Fangio was the initial staff and they got a career year out of Jay Cutler.

I can't fault Pace for Gase getting poached and Fox promoting Dowell Loggains.

I CAN blame him for Glennon, but I understand what Pace was trying to do... he had some $$$ to burn and liked Glennon so he signed him and drafted his QB of the future. Took two bites at the apple, I can respect that. He whiffed on Glennon and he'll cut him with little recourse.

I cannot respect an evaluation that was that bad.

The idea was sound, the player evaluation was all time shockingly bad.

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Epstein also won right away in Boston when he took over.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I cannot respect an evaluation that was that bad.

The idea was sound, the player evaluation was all time shockingly bad.

Was it, though? Dude had an 83.9 rating as a rookie, which is better than our very own Mitchell Trubisky, better than Carson Wentz, Derek Carr etc.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Was it, though? Dude had an 83.9 rating as a rookie, which is better than our very own Mitchell Trubisky, better than Carson Wentz, Derek Carr etc.

It was.

He isn't even a backup QB and doesn't have the physical skill set to play in the NFL.

I am begging you not to defend the Glennon signing, please don't do that.

Archived