If Fox Stays

chisoxguy7

6 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

The reality is Mitch is and was not ready for a year 1 start. 

Truth.

I will say, if you look at this cutup, his mechanics were the best that they've been all season.

23 minutes ago, G08 said:

Truth.

I will say, if you look at this cutup, his mechanics were the best that they've been all season.

I take from this that it's amazing that he's completing any passes at all, as the windows are miniscule. 

2 minutes ago, yomyyo said:

I take from this that it's amazing that he's completing any passes at all, as the windows are miniscule. 

Ridiculous, isn't it?

That throw at 27 seconds was a freaking DIME. Beautiful NFL throw... gives me hope.

Wow, that's actually a lot better than I remember although there was a big tail off in the second half.

Things that jump out: 

you guys are almost understating how little separation his receivers had. Most times the pass is heading for them they're already being tackled.

There is something unintentionally hilarious about his scrambles.  Can't explain it but it makes me chuckle every time. He makes good decisions mostly, but something about the looking around and the direction changes.

The tailing off in the second half seems more to do with plays not working (especially the fancy stuff) and the O line giving up pressure.

I remain optimistic about him, as at least he hasn't been confirmed to be hopeless.  

3 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I don't hate the money, I hate the money, by comparison

I’m sure all the Seattle fans are still SUPER pissed the Seahawks gave big one year money to Matt Flynn and then sat him in favor of Russell Wilson though... 

If Trubisky is legit long term then the Glennon signing is nothing more than a footnote to what was probably always going to be a lost season, and if Trubisky is a bust then everyone involved gave it a full measure shot at finding a franchise QB and got fired for their failure. 

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Wow, that's actually a lot better than I remember although there was a big tail off in the second half.

Things that jump out: 

you guys are almost understating how little separation his receivers had. Most times the pass is heading for them they're already being tackled.

There is something unintentionally hilarious about his scrambles.  Can't explain it but it makes me chuckle every time. He makes good decisions mostly, but something about the looking around and the direction changes.

The tailing off in the second half seems more to do with plays not working (especially the fancy stuff) and the O line giving up pressure.

I remain optimistic about him, as at least he hasn't been confirmed to be hopeless.  

Also how often we are throwing out of shotgun. He refuses to throw picks which I really like compared to what we've had in the past. We need him to dial in the aggression just a touch more but the reality may be we have no offensive weapons.

19 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It was.

He isn't even a backup QB and doesn't have the physical skill set to play in the NFL.

I am begging you not to defend the Glennon signing, please don't do that.

I'll defend it. Tampa really wanted Glennon back. Others beside Pace were also confident of Glennon's ability to be a productive player. All Glennon really had to do was to be a decent backup caliber quarterback, while Trubisky watched and learned. Instead, Glennon mentally imploded and played some of the worst football we've seen him play. If any blame needs to be doled out for the Glennon fiasco, the bulk of it should go to the coaches. Hard to believe they saw promise in his play at any stage. 

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If Pace and Fox both get fired, so he it. 36 loses, a ton of embarrassing loses and that is what you get.

If it's a question of choosing between both or neither, I'm definitely going for both. Having both spots vacant could well attract some HC candidates we might not otherwise get. And Fox has simply made too many mistakes to consider keeping him around. 

20 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'll defend it. Tampa really wanted Glennon back. Others beside Pace were also confident of Glennon's ability to be a productive player. All Glennon really had to do was to be a decent backup caliber quarterback, while Trubisky watched and learned. Instead, Glennon mentally imploded and played some of the worst football we've seen him play. If any blame needs to be doled out for the Glennon fiasco, the bulk of it should go to the coaches. Hard to believe they saw promise in his play at any stage. 

If it's a question of choosing between both or neither, I'm definitely going for both. Having both spots vacant could well attract some HC candidates we might not otherwise get. And Fox has simply made too many mistakes to consider keeping him around. 

I would agree, I think Glennon played worse than in Tampa. Look at Mitch they both have the same problem no real WRs they can throw to. We blamed it on Glennons arm but tbh Mitch has a great arm and refuses to throw it deep. 

Both points above, yes.  Glennon's previous tape was no where near as bad as he was with the Bears.  The positive from this is that MT is playing with same limitations and has actually lost a few pieces from Glennon's time.

The problem with cutting Pace and Fox is that your new GM and coach tandem must be keen on Trubisky.  I think we're better off keeping Pace so he can explain his roster to a new coach and see what he thinks.  The Bears can offer a new coach the following:  young roster, good cap, fresh young QB with potential but needing help, a few nice pieces. They have to accept: a GM with one year before he gets extended, duck'd or cut, an unproven QB, no superstars on roster. 

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

The problem with cutting Pace and Fox is that your new GM and coach tandem must be keen on Trubisky.  I think we're better off keeping Pace so he can explain his roster to a new coach and see what he thinks.  The Bears can offer a new coach the following:  young roster, good cap, fresh young QB with potential but needing help, a few nice pieces. They have to accept: a GM with one year before he gets extended, duck'd or cut, an unproven QB, no superstars on roster. 

The best case scenario is keeping Pace, for sure. And I wouldn't think it would be hard to sell coaches of Trubisky's potential as while the jury's still out as to whether he can be a franchise guy, he has tremendous talent, and is  pretty clearly not a bust. It's true the previous first round picks are iffy as White is an almost certain bust, and Floyd seems to be too fragile and undersized to truly excel in the role the Bears have envisioned for him. Pace has done well outside of the first, though, and has managed the cap incredibly well. So, I wouldn't think keeping Pace would be a detriment to any potential HC outside of someone like McDaniels, who would crave his own GM, and/or great control. 

If we miss on McDaniels because of that, that's just fine by me. He has unique risks compared to all the other candidates and I would rather have ownership and Pace try and win their way than let everything rest on McD's shoulders.  I just don't like him.

How many coaches have total control of the roster? Shannahan, Belichick...? Not leading, I don't honestly know. 

9 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

If we miss on McDaniels because of that, that's just fine by me. He has unique risks compared to all the other candidates and I would rather have ownership and Pace try and win their way than let everything rest on McD's shoulders.  I just don't like him.

How many coaches have total control of the roster? Shannahan, Belichick...? Not leading, I don't honestly know. 

McDaniels scares the hell out of me, I was just using him as an example. :)  And I think Belichick is the only real GM/coach out there now, although Reid and Tomlin come close. I would much rather have DeFilipo or Nagy, with Pace staying as GM. Harbaugh? He might want his hand-picked guy...but that's still an out-there option, as of now. 

Here's a question: can you see the Bears ownership being the ones to embrace an unconventional GM/Coach combo with McDaniels? I sure cant. Not saying it's a good thing, but this franchise is pretty risk averse, and it would surprise me if they decided to try the Belichick model before it was really established. 

My own opinion is that Belichick is such a unique specimen as to represent an outlier, and that attempts to model a team on what he does are likely to fail.  The GM+Coach arrangement is probably a fair better sharing of duties, and it wouldn't surprise me if teams in the near future actually become more specialized and granulated and we end up with new coordinator and team management personnel. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a draft GM and an FA GM? Kidding, but I hope I'm making my point.  

To reiterate my opinion; i would love for the Bears to try a roll of the dice on Lafleur, Nagy, Defillippo, etc. Someone unproven but talented that has a chance of innovating.  Watching the Fox model fail and fail has made me hungry to see something new, and I would be less upset to try something wild and fail than to try something expected and be mediocre.  I actually really enjoyed the Chip Kelly days in PHI, as at least it was fun to watch. The NFL is so conservative that even when it doesn't work out it's a lot of fun to see something different.  Bring on the weirdoes... (so long as they're not Canadian)

17 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Bring on the weirdoes... (so long as they're not Canadian)

Hey what's wrong with Canadians?  Both Windy and myself hail from the Great White North.

You know who doesn't though?  Marc Trestman.  That guy is as American as Apple Pie.  

But yes, I agree Bears should not hire a Canadian coach because there are no good Canadian candidates out there.

Archived