Jets 2017 Training Camp Thread

NewAge

Depth chart for first preseason game was issued.  Interestingly Sheldon is listed as 1st string DL/OLB, Hackenberg is 3rd QB, Forte is ahead of Powell, Jalin Marshall is 1st string, and Shell is listed behind Ijalama at RT. I'd guess things will change over the next few weeks.

https://thejetpress.com/2017/08/08/new-york-jets-release-official-depth-chart-preseason-week-1/

That is a little weird, but he'll probably will change it up by week 2. Giving Hack a chance to look good against back ups or build confidence if I had to guess. My only concern with that is that he'll be throwing to and being protect by our 3rd string group. That's scary, especially if he's still holding the ball too long.

From NJ.Com on yesterday's practice.

"Receiving his most action in 11-on-11 drills to date, Petty completed 9 of 12 passes, highlighted by two long touchdowns to Robby Anderson and Frankie Hammond. He had command in the huddle, poise at the line, and made several impressive throws in addition to his scoring strikes. It was easily the best the third-year quarterback has looked in camp."

although a week ago I wasn't even considering him, I wouldn't be upset if he won the job. I liked Petty in college but with his lack luster performance last year and limited use this preseason, I really thought there was a chance we cut him. My guess is that he's still a long shot to win the starting job, but if he continues to play like he did yesterday he might be a pleasant surprise.

I was thinking about Petty yesterday and realized he was getting the least amount of snaps and working with 3rd string talent for the most part. Maybe the experience from last season helped him out and his bad days at camp so far was because he's surrounded by new players while trying to learn a new system.

I have to admit, Anderson making big plays puts a smile on my face. He's beating everyone with all the QBs. Anderson, Shell, and ASJ performing well would be pretty nice.

I haven't heard much about Gabe Marks. How has he been doing?

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I was thinking about Petty yesterday and realized he was getting the least amount of snaps and working with 3rd string talent for the most part. Maybe the experience from last season helped him out and his bad days at camp so far was because he's surrounded by new players while trying to learn a new system.

I have to admit, Anderson making big plays puts a smile on my face. He's beating everyone with all the QBs. Anderson, Shell, and ASJ performing well would be pretty nice.

I haven't heard much about Gabe Marks. How has he been doing?

I think he's missed a few recent practices but it sounds like he was doing well. Besides the below article, Steve Smith Sr also mentioned that he liked what he saw from him.

http://scout.com/college/washington-state/Article/Former-WSU-Cougar-Gabe-Marks-is-turning-heads-in-early-going-wit-105781446

11 hours ago, Rich51 said:

From NJ.Com on yesterday's practice.

"Receiving his most action in 11-on-11 drills to date, Petty completed 9 of 12 passes, highlighted by two long touchdowns to Robby Anderson and Frankie Hammond. He had command in the huddle, poise at the line, and made several impressive throws in addition to his scoring strikes. It was easily the best the third-year quarterback has looked in camp."

although a week ago I wasn't even considering him, I wouldn't be upset if he won the job. I liked Petty in college but with his lack luster performance last year and limited use this preseason, I really thought there was a chance we cut him. My guess is that he's still a long shot to win the starting job, but if he continues to play like he did yesterday he might be a pleasant surprise.

I wouldn't mind this at all. I like Petty a bunch. If he could start and do well that's great, and if he starts and does only OK then Hack can step in. 

40 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Yeah it looks like another run away year for New England.

It's killing me how we let them own the division over the years and about to let them do it again.  If we're really going to tank, who ever we draft next year better be Drew Brees 2.0 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I wonder how long we keep some of our "starters" in for, since most of them are young. I do want to get a good look at te WRs and Secondary for us as well as the TEs. Obviously I hope Hack looks great.

I could see 1/2 the game for fringe starters and guys who are competing and then maybe one 1/4 for the likes of Leo, Sheldon, Wilk. I could definitely see McCown for a 1/2 and then Petty and Hack each getting a 1/4 although I think it will be more based on how drives end. If it's too positive or too negative they'll be pulled.

Archived