Week 14 - Rams vs Eagles

RamRod

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

A little write up on Goff and Wentz. It's about how to properly develop a QB. However, Andy Benoit does feel that Wentz is the better QB right now. Me personally, I like both QBs. And I will always remember when jrrys had that draft breakdown of both back in the old site.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/07/jared-goff-carson-wentz-los-angeles-rams-philadelphia-eagles-coaching-breakout-seasons

Gotta agree with the others, that's a horrible piece. Benoit has been back and forth on Goff from his Cal days until now. Thanks for posting though, just another article to recall down the road.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's kind of BS how little credit Cooper Kupp is getting right now. There's one dude on NFLN who loves him, but he doesn't get near the credit that Juju gets despite the fact that Kupp is outproducing him. 

I know Peter Schrager loves him and boldly predicted he'd catch 100 passes before the season. The whole lost bike thing kinda catapulted Juju to some kind of internet celebrity status plus he plays for the Steelers who are on primetime like every other week.

Just now, RamRod said:

I know Peter Schrager loves him and boldly predicted he'd catch 100 passes before the season. The whole lost bike thing kinda catapulted Juju to some kind of internet celebrity status plus he plays for the Steelers who are on primetime like every other week.

I was surprised at Kupp's production. While it's unlikely he does so, if he averages 90ish yards per game over the final four games, he'll post a 1000+ yard receiving season. Still, even as it stands now, it seems likely that he'll eclipse 800 receiving yards.

On 12/5/2017 at 7:50 PM, RamRod said:

I'm worried the Eagles loss to the Seahawks will be motivation for them to come out here and take care of business against us.

That's what's going to happen!  The Eagles were really flat vs the Seahawks, for whatever reason.  I can't envision them being that way vs the Rams.  With that said, the Rams are obviously a good team, so they have the tools to beat the Eagles. 

Jared Goff can't move around like Russell Wilson, so the Eagles defense should have a much easier time keeping tabs on him and running/playing a more traditional style of defense vs the sandlot style Russell Wilson forces defenses to play.

10 minutes ago, showtime said:

That's what's going to happen!  The Eagles were really flat vs the Seahawks, for whatever reason.  I can't envision them being that way vs the Rams.  With that said, the Rams are obviously a good team, so they have the tools to beat the Eagles. 

Jared Goff can't move around like Russell Wilson, so the Eagles defense should have a much easier time keeping tabs on him and running/playing a more traditional style of defense vs the sandlot style Russell Wilson forces defenses to play.

The Rams also have a functional offensive line, so Goff doesn't have to play backyard football.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

The Eagles feast on functional offensive lines!!!!!

=)

That's quite debatable. The Rams currently rank 7th in the NFL in sacks allowed. The Eagles have only played two teams in the top 10 in sacks allowed this year, San Diego and Dallas. Dallas was missing LT Tyron Smith, so they clearly did not have their functional OL. Meanwhile, Philip Rivers lit up Philly.

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's quite debatable. The Rams currently rank 7th in the NFL in sacks allowed. The Eagles have only played two teams in the top 10 in sacks allowed this year, San Diego and Dallas. Dallas was missing LT Tyron Smith, so they clearly did not have their functional OL. Meanwhile, Philip Rivers lit up Philly.

Lets not confuse the poor Seahawks fan with discussions of quality OLine play.

On 12/7/2017 at 5:30 PM, NVRamsFan said:

Gotta agree with the others, that's a horrible piece. Benoit has been back and forth on Goff from his Cal days until now. Thanks for posting though, just another article to recall down the road.

I didn't know about Benoit's history with Goff until you posted this. It would explain certain things. Like for example this old article from before Jared was drafted. Benoit does mention all the great qualities that Jared possessed. So it's a little weird that Benoit doesn't bring it up now.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/12/jared-goff-california-film-study-nfl-draft

What sets Goff apart is his handle on the crucial nuances of quarterbacking: moving gracefully and incrementally within the pocket; keeping eyes downfield when pressure bears down; and making throws with bodies around him. This, along with NFL-caliber arm strength and accuracy, was on full display in Cal’s game at Stanford last November. It was a loss for the Bears but a well-quarterbacked game that offered several scenarios Goff will encounter this fall and for the rest of his football life.

Part of me wonders if his analysis was colored from how both QBs performed last year. The other part may be because Benoit just loves Sean McVay so much (he was one of the first to explain why McVay was going to be the youngest HC back in Summer 2016), and now thinks a large part of Goff's success is due to McVay. All of his recent Ram's articles have been about McVay and his offensive scheme.

But anyways, I enjoy Benoit's analysis for the most part since he actually does review the Coach's tape. He just will make bold claims sometimes like he did with McVay earlier in the year (calling him the best offensive mind in the NFL). And like I mentioned earlier, I like both QBs. Though if given a choice, I would probably pick the guy who can move his feet well within the confines of a pocket like Goff.

I have to go to work in a few minutes, so I don't have time to really make my argument stronger than this, but I'll put this simply.

Wentz makes plays Goff could only dream of.

That isn't to say Goff isn't a good QB and you shouldn't be happy to have him as your QBOTF.

He does some things better than Wentz like I think he's a bit more accurate, but he also has McVay whose offense really helps him out. Not to say Pederson and company don't help out too cause they absolutely do, but the amount of easy reads and wide open throws Goff has available is pretty crazy. I forget the source, but I remember reading that Jared easily had the most wide open throws of any QB.

To me McVay is the star of that offense and Goff is clearly playing second fiddle, but having a brilliant offensive mind isn't the worst thing in the world.

Goff also moves his feet in the pocket better than Wentz, although I've seen improvement there from his rookie year.

Jared just never wows me the same way Carson does. Like he can't make plays like a Rodgers or Wilson the way that #11 can.

Also, as was pointed out on a recent podcast I listened to Jared and the Rams rush to the LOS so McVay can still talk to his young QB for as long as possible before the headset cuts out with 15 seconds left on the play clock which is kind of like how things are in college. Wentz has been making the calls on his own since college.

Jared also is the more experienced player as far as playing QB as he started 3 years in HS and 3 years in college whereas Carson started a little over 1 year in HS and a little over 1 year in college. So, the whole Goff being younger and having more room for growth is a bunch of malarkey to me, unless we are talking about filling out frames, where then I can see the point, but from a playing perspective I think Carson could do even more growing.

5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I have to go to work in a few minutes, so I don't have time to really make my argument stronger than this, but I'll put this simply.

Wentz makes plays Goff could only dream of.

That isn't to say Goff isn't a good QB and you shouldn't be happy to have him as your QBOTF.

He does some things better than Wentz like I think he's a bit more accurate, but he also has McVay whose offense really helps him out. Not to say Pederson and company don't help out too cause they absolutely do, but the amount of easy reads and wide open throws Goff has available is pretty crazy. I forget the source, but I remember reading that Jared easily had the most wide open throws of any QB.

To me McVay is the star of that offense and Goff is clearly playing second fiddle, but having a brilliant offensive mind isn't the worst thing in the world.

Goff also moves his feet in the pocket better than Wentz, although I've seen improvement there from his rookie year.

Jared just never wows me the same way Carson does. Like he can't make plays like a Rodgers or Wilson the way that #11 can.

Also, as was pointed out on a recent podcast I listened to Jared and the Rams rush to the LOS so McVay can still talk to his young QB for as long as possible before the headset cuts out with 15 seconds left on the play clock which is kind of like how things are in college. Wentz has been making the calls on his own since college.

Jared also is the more experienced player as far as playing QB as he started 3 years in HS and 3 years in college whereas Carson started a little over 1 year in HS and a little over 1 year in college. So, the whole Goff being younger and having more room for growth is a bunch of malarkey to me, unless we are talking about filling out frames, where then I can see the point, but from a playing perspective I think Carson could do even more growing.

Both guys do their own things. Like Goff is special because he can make throws like he did to Watkins down the sideline on TNF against the Niners. Wentz is special because he can magically get out of a sack like he did against the Redskins on MNF. 

It’s also worth noting that Goff is the 2nd youngest starting QB in the NFL only ahead of Kizer of the Browns. Wentz has more starts under his belt than Goff and has been in the same system for 2yrs. This is Goff first season in McVay system and for him to pick it up quickly is amazing. Especially if you go back to Washington when McVay took over as OC in 2014, Cousins and that offense struggled that season. It took them until 2015 to get that offense and start to play well. Not to mention I want to see Watkins having a full offseason to be able to truly get into the offense. Watkins is getting better as the season goes but it’s nothing like having an offseason within the offense like Alshon had with the Eagles. The sky is the limit for both QBs so it’s gonna be great to monitor their careers. I’m a Goff and Wentz supporter and been that way from day 1.

5 hours ago, Flounch said:

I didn't care about losing this game because the biggest game for us is next week. But when i read these kind of thing i just wanna see sack and INT on Wentz all day long. 

Don't worry. Goff will probably have his best game of the season since I said Wentz is better.

Archived