Commissioner you.

Kiwibrown

7 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Public officials are paid for BY the public to represent the public. There are decision makers out there that have experience in a non public fashion that imo, would be far more tuned to the needs of a private entity than a public official. I guess....what really scares me about this line of thinking, goes along with the current degradation of this sport. Fans, through social media, are beginning to exert influence on decision making by the NFL...and as evidenced by the wacky ideas in this thread....including my own...that public opinion is all over the ******* map, is emotionally based, and would destroy this sport if given enough control. 

I've been arguing this same point since 2007 when Goodell started suspending Bengals. The NFL decision makers decided to adopt processes that left them with...ahem...autonomy. It almost instantly started to come at the expense of fairness and coherency. This, especially in an age of instant media, only invites controversy.

Other leagues don't suffer from a lack of issues. They simply deal with them in a more boring pattern than top men issuing decrees that resemble a drunk chimp throwing darts at a board. The dam simply broke with the Ray Rice tape.

There's a reason due process is a thing. And it's not because people have always liked the results it has produced.

3 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

But long term, it's watering down its product further. There's no actual risk in not adding more playoff teams. Doing so just shows a complete lack of foresight and appreciation for the product you sell.

Thats exactly my issue.    It doesnt help the game at all.  It might help fatten some wallets, but it doesnt improve the actual product whatsoever.   If they want to address the "issue" of deserving teams missing the playoffs, there are better routes they could go to fix that...but I personally dont think its really an issue at all.      Id rather one deserving team get left out than let 2 or 3 less deserving teams get in to accommodate that good team getting in.   Thats part of the game.  Some years, certain divisions/conferences are stronger than others.   If a good team misses out because of that...oh well.  Part of the game.

More games in a season and expanding the playoffs are two things I am VEHEMENTLY opposed to.    They are good from a GREED standpoint, but not from a IMPROVING THE PRODUCT standpoint, and the product doesnt need to be watered down any more than it already has been.   

Adopt the College Targeting rule.  It gives clear directions on what is penalized and what the penalty is.  Removes arbitrary punishments for a bunch of on the field hits.

Give players in the HOF a vote as to who gets in ( beyond the veteran committee). 

7 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I can't even tell if this is serious or not. I'd hope not as its the worst suggestion I've seen in this thread yet and I can't even get into the various why's without breaking numerous forum rules.

Why is this suggestion the worst?  Franchises can model themselves after the Packers.  Sell limited shares of stock and then elect a BOD.  This board then runs the business end of the franchise and elects one person to represent the team at annual "owners" meetings.  One good thing about having this kind of ownership is it takes a vote by the shareholders to move the team away from the fan base.  Some fans of other teams tease us about our worthless stock but it is far from worthless if it means we as fans keep the team in Green Bay.  I have a lot of shares because I was bequeathed my grandfather's share years ago and it is now worth more votes since the recent stock sales.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/3/29/15098690/the-packers-will-never-move-because-of-worthless-pieces-of-paper-owners-stock-certificates

Players only participate in the National Anthem on special occasions.

I contract the Green Bay Packers franchise and mix them in with the Cleveland Browns. They have no real owner so they can't stop me.

Only Thursday games are on Thanksgiving

Prime Time games start 2 hours earlier to accommodate the East Coast. Shouldn't have to stay up until Midnight to watch a game.

More Cheerleaders on TV

1)  Definitively define what a catch is and isn't

2)  Incorporate more technology and video in reffing the game

3)  Allow challenges to everything, 3 per team.  Lose your first 2 you lose the 3rd.

4)  Players in the locker room for the Anthem.  

5)  Develop a structured, clear framework for discipline so far less is left to interpretation or bias.  

edit:

STOP SLOWING THE GAME DOWN.

• Include an extra bye week on schedules, and make sure all teams get a good distance between them, and the start of the season. Even if that means a fallow week for the league
  • International series is no more
  • Cut down on PT games - it's too much football. TNF gone, or alternates with MNF - I'd put that to a public vote (probably end up with no TNF)
  • Bring more public votes in in general - what games to flex, whether to keep the celebration rules, game balls etc 
  • Split up ref crews a bit more, vary it up
  • Zero tolerance to illegal/domestic stuff. Enough is enough
  • Sort out these PT games - option to flex with 4 weeks in advance. Again, put it to the vote which games get PT
  • Take a huge pay cut and fund grass roots football - I don't need multiple multiple millions.

:) 

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Players only participate in the National Anthem on special occasions.

I contract the Green Bay Packers franchise and mix them in with the Cleveland Browns. They have no real owner so they can't stop me.

Only Thursday games are on Thanksgiving

Prime Time games start 2 hours earlier to accommodate the East Coast. Shouldn't have to stay up until Midnight to watch a game.

More Cheerleaders on TV

This reminded to edit my post to eliminate cheerleaders. Absolutely useless.

I went back through the thread and here is what I found in the order posted:

(my opinion of course and left out my own brilliant suggestions B|)

THE BEST...

1)  Teams/Players no longer need to be on the field for the National Anthem.

2)  There would be 2 bye weeks.

5)  Thursday Night Football is reserved for Thanksgiving and if both teams are coming off a bye week prior to the game.

1) First move would be to move the draft back to the old format of having rounds 1-3 on Saturday and rounds 4-7 on Sunday. There's nothing like a good long weekend of the draft to plan around and enjoy instead of having this primetime Thursday night, Friday night crap, with weekend leftovers. I would however continue with the draft rotation for eligible cities.

3) Thursday games would be reserved for the opener and Thanksgiving only.

7) Return to sudden death overtime. You've got 60 minutes to win a ball game, once that time is up, next score wins. This also addresses a player safety issue of prolonging the action and putting players at further risk due to over-fatigue.

10) Eliminate cheerleaders.

* ) Split up ref crews a bit more, vary it up

Archived