Saints biggest needs moving forward

Dome

IMO

LB, TE, CB, OT,  S/WR

We need a playmaker at OLB badly. Robertson is good and has earned his keep for sure, but there’s definitely room for improvement. Anzalone is a wildcard as far as I’m concerned.

We should invest in a quality blocking TE who catches passes as a secondary skill, any good prospects in the draft? Jeremey Shockey, Martellus Bennett, Delanie Walker type of player.

We need more CBs, specially a slot guy who can play the run.

I think we need to snag a LT to play backup to both Armstead (practically a full time job) and extra blocker as needed. Hopefully the guy can develop and we can move on from Armstead comfortably if need be down the road.

We’ll need a deep WR if Ginn leaves and we aren’t sure TLL can be that guy. We’ll need a safety if Vaccaro and or Bush aren’t around next year.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, JMG5 said:

How do you not mention DE or DT?

Outside of Jordan we really lack pass rush. Okafor was solid, but he is injured and there is no guarantee we even sign him back.

LB, DE/DT, CB, TE/WR, OL

My thoughts as well. Perhaps free agency with the defensive front 7.

Here's the cool thing. With the Saints current success on defense, it will be easier to attract good free agents.

I think either a DE or a DT fixes the problem, but I think Hughes and Oyementa have both played well enough that a DE would be a higher priority, though still a lower priority than a top flight LB prospect as I doubt we will get a top flight DE prospect at the same pick.

11 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think either a DE or a DT fixes the problem, but I think Hughes and Oyementa have both played well enough that a DE would be a higher priority, though still a lower priority than a top flight LB prospect as I doubt we will get a top flight DE prospect at the same pick.

This team would benifit more from a STUD nose guard that can demand consistant double teams than a 1st round DE. I believe Oakfor is solid and will be back. Hendrickson is developing nicely so im cool there for the most part and i still believe in Muhammad.

Plug a big nasty like Alabama's Da'Ron Payne at the back end of the 1st round in the middle of this d-line and you have clear up far more one on ones for guys like Jordan, Rankins and Oakfor which improves your pass rush immensely and therefor improves your backend coverage greatly not to mention shores up our run defense.

Tyeler Davison is a solid player but there is a reason opposing teams have doubked teamed Rankins all year... We need a guy on the inside that demands constant double teams in order to free up our pass rushers.

27 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

This team would benifit more from a STUD nose guard that can demand consistant double teams than a 1st round DE. I believe Oakfor is solid and will be back. Hendrickson is developing nicely so im cool there for the most part and i still believe in Muhammad.

Plug a big nasty like Alabama's Da'Ron Payne at the back end of the 1st round in the middle of this d-line and you have clear up far more one on ones for guys like Jordan, Rankins and Oakfor which improves your pass rush immensely and therefor improves your backend coverage greatly not to mention shores up our run defense.

Tyeler Davison is a solid player but there is a reason opposing teams have doubked teamed Rankins all year... We need a guy on the inside that demands constant double teams in order to free up our pass rushers.

So if you had a choice between Payne and Evans, who do you choose?

14 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

DT, DE, LB, TE, QB, OL, DB

Surprised DB is so far down your list... We have great young talent all over our secondary, but we’re as thin as anyone in the league when it comes to depth.

18 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

DT, DE, LB, TE, QB, OL, DB

I see it close to what you have here. 

I'd put DB higher, I'd like QB to be higher but I can see why defensive players are a must. 

Would love if Payne was the selection. 

I just really don’t see DL as big of a need as most of you I guess.

Im assuming Okafor is coming back, and Nick Fairley isn’t. Okafor, Hendrickson, Cam and Kikaha are fine for DE. Obviously a star pass rusher opposite Cam would be awesome, but we played fine with these four in rotation. If anything we can spend another pick on depth but I still think LB is a much bigger need that DE.

Rankins IS a tackle that’s taking on double teams, he’s also shown he ability to rush the passer. If he can keep doing what he’s doint and Ony and Davison (and Hendrickson) for depth was working fine for us this year. I see LBer as a bigger need than DT as well.

I definitely agree that DL depth is a need, but as far as starters go, gimme a linebacker.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I just really don’t see DL as big of a need as most of you I guess.

Im assuming Okafor is coming back, and Nick Fairley isn’t. Okafor, Hendrickson, Cam and Kikaha are fine for DE. Obviously a star pass rusher opposite Cam would be awesome, but we played fine with these four in rotation. If anything we can spend another pick on depth but I still think LB is a much bigger need that DE.

Rankins IS a tackle that’s taking on double teams, he’s also shown he ability to rush the passer. If he can keep doing what he’s doint and Ony and Davison (and Hendrickson) for depth was working fine for us this year. I see LBer as a bigger need than DT as well.

I definitely agree that DL depth is a need, but as far as starters go, gimme a linebacker.

I think LB is our biggest need as well, but getting a pass rusher who can either start or rotate across from Jordan would help our defense out a ton. Just look at Philidelphia and Seattle for a reason why depth and talent in the front 4 (And 7) is so important. I think our defense can really be great if we continue to add the right pieces to it. That includes more talent at the LB position and the defensive line. CB is a need too, but just not as high as LB/DE/DT.

15 hours ago, Raves said:

So if you had a choice between Payne and Evans, who do you choose?

Unfair question for this reason...

I have us selecting in the late 20's possibly 30's hopefully. I have Rashaan Evans graded as a top 15 prospect (I have a higher grade on him than i had on my top linebacker in 2016 Jarrad Davis who went 20th overall). I see Evans going top 20 to 25 so sure, clearlg Id take Evans as BPA but realistically I dont see him being available in the cloud of prospects were likley to choose from.

Archived