2023 College Football Thread

Norm

4 hours ago, Norm said:

And they never will do that. There's no incentive other than helping people's sensibilities.

It's still the same. Undefeated small team still doesn't get to win the big one. They get the consolation title. Woohoo. 

It's just different.. It's like Americans not being to accept a game that ties. If you don't like it, it's not for you, and that's just fine. Doesn't mean everyone who likes it think it's perfect.

I know it won't ever happen but a man can dream. As a person who doesn't watch much college football I am very thankful FSU didn't make the playoffs. I watched that game against Louisville and was blown away at FSU being ranked 4. It was bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

They are better than the Big 10. Clemson has won the title twice since the playoffs began, Ohio State once. 

At the top, big 10 is better. clemson and fsu are not perennially good like ohio state. They have a good year or two every 4 years because of the cycling of students. 

Vt has not been a legitimate contender since vick. 

Edited by HokieHigh

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That's the only time it's ever happened and only time it ever will.

That it can happen at all, is the salient point. Not the opinions about its likelihood.

That it is a possibility this can happen at all makes it a goof sport. Sure it can be an exciting product with top athletes, but it's a club sport, not one with a "championship" game that is meaningful.

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes FSU got screwed. Screwing them was the right decision to put in 4 teams with a chance to win it all and provide their TV partners with the best and most marketable matchups.

They didn't put four teams in it who have a chance to win it all. Michigan has no chance. They do not have enough offensive fire power to compete with the other three teams. Their defense is good against the Big 10 and its horrific quarterbacking. They are going to get steamrolled against a team that can pass the ball. 

You admit they got screwed then go on to justify it. That has been my whole point. People twisting themselves in knots to justify cheating a team out of an opportunity. That is exactly what these dirtbags did to these kids. 

If they had picked the 4 teams that deserved it based on the season, there might be some bitching from the SEC, but their case would have no merit.

It's really sickening to me! 

If Alabama's quarterback (or any of the four teams) got hurt in practice and couldn't play that would be Karma. I would never root for this to happen, but Karma always wins. I used Alabama as an example because I despise them, and they benefitted from FSU getting screwed. 

I don't care if Alabama goes on to win the Championship, they still didn't deserve to be invited to the dance in the first place. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They didn't put four teams in it who have a chance to win it all. Michigan has no chance. They do not have enough offensive fire power to compete with the other three teams. Their defense is good against the Big 10 and its horrific quarterbacking. They are going to get steamrolled against a team that can pass the ball. 

You admit they got screwed then go on to justify it. That has been my whole point. People twisting themselves in knots to justify cheating a team out of an opportunity. That is exactly what these dirtbags did to these kids. 

If they had picked the 4 teams that deserved it based on the season, there might be some bitching from the SEC, but their case would have no merit.

It's really sickening to me! 

If Alabama's quarterback (or any of the four teams) got hurt in practice and couldn't play that would be Karma. I would never root for this to happen, but Karma always wins. I used Alabama as an example because I despise them, and they benefitted from FSU getting screwed. 

I don't care if Alabama goes on to win the Championship, they still didn't deserve to be invited to the dance in the first place. 

They picked 4 teams with a chance, irregardless of your opinion of them.

OSU lost their QB and then went on to beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the B1G Championship. FSU could barely beat Florida and then couldn't get to 60 pass yards vs Louisville. They weren't going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

They picked 4 teams with a chance, irregardless of your opinion of them.

OSU lost their QB and then went on to beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the B1G Championship. FSU could barely beat Florida and then couldn't get to 60 pass yards vs Louisville. They weren't going anywhere.

Thanks for making my point regarding how bad the B1G sucks. They have one team (Ohio State) who is occasionally really good. At least before Ryan Day. Another team, who wins a lot of games but is way overrated, (Michigan). They are also cheaters but are getting rewarded for that by the committee as well. 

Comparing Florida to Wisconsin is a joke. FSU was playing a freshman QB who was 3rd string against Louisville. Their second string QB had a concussion and would have played in the playoffs. Rodemaker left the Florida game for a while because of the cheap shot he took. He is better than the Ohio State quarterback. 

Alabama should have been beaten by Auburn the week prior as well. We can play this game all day long! 

You keep arguing a point when you've already ceded it by saying FSU got screwed. You are really saying, "I'm wrong, but I'm going to keep telling you why I'm right!" 

Edited by Old Guy

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Thanks for making my point regarding how bad the B1G sucks. They have one team (Ohio State) who is occasionally really good. At least before Ryan Day. Another team, who wins a lot of games but is way overrated, (Michigan). They are also cheaters but are getting rewarded for that by the committee as well. 

Comparing Florida to Wisconsin is a joke. FSU was playing a freshman QB who was 3rd string against Louisville. Their second string QB had a concussion and would have played in the playoffs. Rodemaker left the Florida game for a while because of the cheap shot he took. He is better than the Ohio State quarterback. 

Alabama should have been beaten by Auburn the week prior as well. We can play this game all day long! 

You keep arguing a point when you've already ceded it by saying FSU got screwed. You are really saying, "I'm wrong, but I'm going to keep telling you why I'm right!" 

The example I gave is back when Cardale Jones was at OSU? Nothing pertaining to this year. Have you watched college football this year?

None of you other 3 paragraphs make sense. You're yelling at the clouds at this point.

CFB is a business that gave the consumers what they want at the expense of one of their own. Happens all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The example I gave is back when Cardale Jones was at OSU? Nothing pertaining to this year. Have you watched college football this year?

None of you other 3 paragraphs make sense. You're yelling at the clouds at this point.

CFB is a business that gave the consumers what they want at the expense of one of their own. Happens all the time.

I'm aware of that. Not sure all of their, 'consumers,' are OK with it. I would guess many will not watch as a result of it. 

Yes, I've watched way too much of Michigan. Most unimpressive undefeated time I can remember. A lot of FSU and you can't avoid watching the SEC. 

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm aware of that. Not sure all of their, 'consumers,' are OK with it. I would guess many will not watch as a result of it. 

Yes, I've watched way too much of Michigan. Most unimpressive undefeated time I can remember. A lot of FSU and you can't avoid watching the SEC. 

I would be viewership will be a lot higher than a mediocre backup QB losing to Michigan. Michigan held off an OSU team with skill talent coming out their ***, I think they've earned the spot they have.

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That's the only time it's ever happened and only time it ever will.

It's always going to happen since you have 133 teams who play 12 games.  2017 UCF was undefeated and all the advanced analytics seemed to conclude that they were the best team but they didn't get invited to the playoff.  A 12 team playoff would probably have invited the Knights that year, but you're still going to get aberrations like Liberty University playing the 133rd toughest strength of schedule (out of 133) and thus not losing, who probably does not deserve a spot in a 12 team playoff because mid-tier major conference teams would wipe the floor with them.

This is always going to happen in college football until we get something like a 32 team superconference with all the best teams that has its own playoff.