2023 College Football Thread

Norm

15 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

so, WHY do you despise both teams ? Dislike I understand, but despise suggests something more going on.

I mean, I dislike the Pats Cowboys and Seahawks, mostly for various reasons from the past (plus I don't like open-mouthed gum chewers).

I live in Michigan and their fans are the most arrogant people on earth. Alabama is more because of the SEC bias. Just not a fan of Saban whatsoever. He's from the Hoody coaching tree. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

I’m too lazy, can someone compile the number of posts @Old Guy made that assured us with absolute certainty that Michigan would be destroyed?

It was several. What a shock a guy on an internet board got something wrong. LOL. 

Just shows Alabama had no business being in the playoffs. The committee got it wrong, bigtime. 

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Just shows Alabama had no business being in the playoffs. The committee got it wrong, bigtime. 

The only thing it showed is that a 4 team system was always doomed to be a failure. There will pretty much always be more than 4 teams that are valid contenders.  This year was just a more extreme example.

The 4-team playoff they chose this year really clearly showed the inadequacy of a 4-team playoff system.

Like in the old BCS system as well as the pre-BCS system we would have gotten Michigan vs. Washington as 1 vs. 2 or just in the Rose Bowl.  It really wasn't necessary to go through additional theatrics to get there; we knew who the two best teams were.

Now there's certainly an argument for "we should include as many of the teams that have a credible case for being the best team, since sometimes the ball bounces funny" which is why Alabama and Texas got invited to the thing, but it's weird to invite those teams (who had a case, but were clearly not as worthy as the Wolverines/Huskies) but leave out teams like FSU, UGA, Ohio State, and Oregon.

If they were asking for a quartet that would make people welcome the 12 team playoff next year, they couldn't have done better.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Is Michigan's RB Edwards also expected to declare?

I think it's 50/50 at this point.  I'd imagine that Harbaugh might be the reason players return or declare.  If he's gone, the players leave with him.  If he returns, a chunk of them probably return.

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Does anybody understand the Big Ten's "I want to live forever, I don't care" ad?  They've been running it for like 10 years and it has never made sense to me.

The commerical itself or the song attached to it? Because it looks pretty straightforward, just a display of the teams in the conference on a stylized map and some easter eggs for each team. Quick, simple, stylish, no preaching whatsoever. Good cotton candy for thirty seconds.

The song itself isn't a representation of Sports in the Big Ten, but rather a representation of the life and ambitious future of midwestern values. It's upbeat and inspiring, and if anything, it's more a slight tool for enrollment than perhaps anything else.

Edited by Zycho32