Depth Chart Head Scratchers

CBrownsman

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I have zero clue what our secondary is trying to do. I know McCourty is good, but other than that I have zero clue what they're trying to do.

Limit big plays and keep everything in front of them is the obvious answer, but I'd imagine that could be done without taking an elite athlete out of a majority of plays entirely.

Peppers is so far back he has no shot at making a play on anything except deep sideline throws.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Limit big plays and keep everything in front of them is the obvious answer, but I'd imagine that could be done without taking an elite athlete out of a majority of plays entirely.

Right, I guess that's what I'm saying. Especially considering McCourty is good and Jamar Taylor will always be horrendous. I guess it's hard to argue with considering our Rush D is legitimately decent with this approach, and after watching the San Diego game, if we didn't play "bend but don't break" San Diego's 19 could have/should have been closer to 39.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Peppers is so far back he has no shot at making a play on anything except deep sideline throws.

That's the part I don't understand. We draft a guy in the first round who is considered an athletic hybrid box guy "Is he a linebacker or a SS" type and we have him playing centerfield, which he didn't do/couldn't do in college...1 career pick, coming off of a terrible throw from JT Barrett off of a deflection...hardly making a play on the ball. If we aren't going to utilize him properly, we should have stayed put at 12 and just drafted Watson/Hooker and forfeited the Texans 1st this year. We could get about anyone to do what Peppers is doing right now, and that's hardly worth a 1st round investment.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's the part I don't understand. We draft a guy in the first round who is considered an athletic hybrid box guy "Is he a linebacker or a SS" type and we have him playing centerfield, which he didn't do/couldn't do in college...1 career pick, coming off of a terrible throw from JT Barrett off of a deflection...hardly making a play on the ball. If we aren't going to utilize him properly, we should have stayed put at 12 and just drafted Watson/Hooker and forfeited the Texans 1st this year. We could get about anyone to do what Peppers is doing right now, and that's hardly worth a 1st round investment.

My thoughts as well.Why spend a premium pick on a guy who has so little impact?  

As the OP also noted, where's the offensive snaps? Dude was electric with the ball in his hands in college and hits like a truck and all he's asked to do is return punts on all 4 downs.

7 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Unless throwing him out there is helping his long term growth as a player and will lead to him being better down the road?

This is the only possible rational reason for it.

Could be a sub-part of Tank 2.0?

11 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

So one thing has continued to annoy me throughout this season, and that's constantly playing guys out of place.

The big offender is Jabrill Peppers.  We said we would mix him in on offense, were not.  He is more of a SS who plays some LB, we have him 15-20 yards off the ball taking bad angles and waiting for the play to come to him.  I think he could be a really good player but I always assumed it would be as more of a tackler than a coverage guy.  Hell when Jamie Collins got hurt I was hoping that we would finally put Kia Nacua back there at FS, and move peppers up to cover as a linebacker...I know its short notice but he would be better doing that than playing FS would he not?!?!?

I agree, so far Jabril has been a disappointment. Generally speaking you shouldn't draft a SS in the first round unless they are very very good. You shouldn't draft a SS and play him at FS. We could have other good FS options especially 4-3 sets. We would likely be better off with either BBC or McCourty there. Hell even Taylor maight play ok there. 

Why is Trevon Coley still starting over Larry Ogunjobi?  I'll be honest, we have needed more pass rush presence from someone not named Myles Garrett and I thought Ogunjobi was going to be that guy, and quite frankly every time I see him in the game he looks like he is both a good run defender and a good pass rusher from the defensive tackle spot.  I can't help but watching that team and seeing that our best lineup is Garrett, Sheldon, Ogunjobi, and Ogbah but we never seem to play those 4 together.  (Side note I have liked what I've seen from Caleb Brantley lately too, I'm excited about this D-Line).

Coley has been decent but Larry O has been beastly at times. 

This is the one that annoys me the most, and I'm assuming it annoys everyone else on here too, why the BLEEEEEP ins't Duke Johnson our featured back.  At the very worst he should be getting the same number of touches as Crowell.  I know Crowell is a few pounds heavier but if Leshawn McCoy can take that kind of work load, he can too!  Duke is CLEARLY one of the best offensive players we have, we should be getting the ball in his hands MUCH more than we are now.  Quite frankly I don't think we need a feature back in the draft next year, I think we need someone for short yardage that will compliment Duke well, because I would like to see him have a shot to be our guy, he has deserved it!

Especially true when Crow was on his down streak. 

Also why is Matt Dayes returning kicks.  When he catches the ball in the end zone he doesn't seem to have any chance to blow by people, or have any chance to get past the 25 where he would be if he just took a knee anyway.  I thought we would see someone more illusive like Peppers or Duke or someone take this responsibility.  Even someone faster would be nice like Coats or Louis or something, It just seems we have even less advantage in the kick return game than every other team has (though I know these days that's not a ton anyway).

Dayes has been our best kick returner in a long time. Duke wuld be a waste there. too important for our offense. I would like to see CC a  PR once in a while. 

I know I'm not the greatest football mind out there, so if there are legitimate reasons for these moves I would honestly like to hear them.  Posting this is more a question of if this is something that's driving everyone insane or if there's just something I don't see that give these merit...

6 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

Hows Mike Jordan been playing when given time?  Dude's 6-1, good size and he seemed to make some plays a few weeks ago (been traveling, been doing the highlights only thing)  

He played one play last week for McCourty. CB from the blindside. 

He gavwe away his hand to early, the QB audibled they picked it up passed it ot the zone or man he vaccated. 

bad play call.

19 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I honestly think this is an ode to his defensive backs, he doesn't trust them in press man, that's why we are in this pre-determined defense so that we can just keep everything in front of us and wait for them to make a mistake. I guarantee if we had a better group of DBs he would be playing way more man, plus Peppers playing so far back could be a statement by Williams and him not being a fan of the selection of Peppers (Not for sure, just saying).

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I honestly think this is an ode to his defensive backs, he doesn't trust them in press man, that's why we are in this pre-determined defense so that we can just keep everything in front of us and wait for them to make a mistake. I guarantee if we had a better group of DBs he would be playing way more man, plus Peppers playing so far back could be a statement by Williams and him not being a fan of the selection of Peppers (Not for sure, just saying).

It's definitely a way to CYA when it comes to sketchy corners.

And to Williams credit, McCourty looks great, Taylor passable and BBC very good.

On the surface it's an awful concept, but the improvement in the defense has been substantial, so it's hard to argue.

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It's definitely a way to CYA when it comes to sketchy corners.

And to Williams credit, McCourty looks great, Taylor passable and BBC very good.

On the surface it's an awful concept, but the improvement in the defense has been substantial, so it's hard to argue.

My question is how much better would the defense be if we had even an average offense and not be on the field so much

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

My question is how much better would the defense be if we had even an average offense and not be on the field so much

@mistakey and I have been saying the same thing for YEARS. It's beyond embarrassing, and it's pretty simple:

Fewer possessions defended=Fewer points allowed.

We've led the league in 3 and outs for THREE STRAIGHT YEARS now.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, MWil23 said:

@mistakey and I have been saying the same thing for YEARS. It's beyond embarrassing, and it's pretty simple:

Fewer possessions defended=Fewer points allowed.

We've led the league in 3 and outs for THREE STRAIGHT YEARS now.

Not going to lie, I would be frustrated as hell if I were on that defense. To Hue and G.Williams's credit, they have been in good spirits up until this point in the season.

Archived