Week #1 General Discussion - We back baby!

RaidersAreOne

I think a fair discussion of the "Do you play players in the pre-season or not" needs to happen again. I think the NFL has over-corrected by sitting out everyone for the entire pre-season.

I watched the Seahawks and Ravens (didn't watch Bengals but they also played no starters) and both of those teams sat all starters for the pre-season and both offenses looked AWFUL. Raven in particular had timing issues, OL looked like they hadn't seen a live rep in years, Lamar was completely off with timing and footwork - and we had 13 or so penalties. Not to mention we lost 3 key starters on offense to injury after none of them played in the preseason at all.

Do people really think you should still rest starters throughout the entire pre-season? I feel like you need to play at least 1-2 series just to get some rhythm and reps in before the actual season starts.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think a fair discussion of the "Do you play players in the pre-season or not" needs to happen again. I think the NFL has over-corrected by sitting out everyone for the entire pre-season.

I watched the Seahawks and Ravens (didn't watch Bengals but they also played no starters) and both of those teams sat all starters for the pre-season and both offenses looked AWFUL. Raven in particular had timing issues, OL looked like they hadn't seen a live rep in years, Lamar was completely off with timing and footwork - and we had 13 or so penalties. Not to mention we lost 3 key starters on offense to injury after none of them played in the preseason at all.

Do people really think you should still rest starters throughout the entire pre-season? I feel like you need to play at least 1-2 series just to get some rhythm and reps in before the actual season starts.

I think quarterbacks need some live reps and timing with live ammo situations with their WR.

I don’t think RB do at all. LT had like 1 career preseason carry, and Nick Chubb didn’t miss a beat yesterday, nor did their defensive line. I think positions and units matter…DL is fairly read and react as opposed to units predicated on timing and rhythm.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that Burrow is such a slow starter between the calf injury, appendectomy, or ACL recovery.

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

They were all hoping Fields "would" have a massive 3rd year jump in QB production/the ability to actually play the position like both Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts did in thier 3rd years.

Supporting casts and actual good coaches matter though.

Not saying he can't but Nagy is Horrible. 

The problem is even though Hurts & Allen made huge 3rd year leaps they showed at least average ability as passers before their 3rd year. I feel like I was taking crazy pills this year with people thinking Fields would be an MVP candidate. He was statistically both with regular and advanced metrics one of the worse QBs in the NFL last year throwing the football. He comped extremely close and sometimes worse then the Wilsons who were both atrocious last year. IMO they would be better off drafting a new QB and switching Fields position. Great and dynamic athlete but a terrible QB. His legs have really saved the fact that he can't read an NFL defense for crap nor that he is fast enough on the intake to make quick decisions passing the football. 

19 hours ago, kramxel said:

This is how bad the defensive performance actually was. One of the worst showings of any defense for the past 12 years.

Puzzling considering Tua had one of his worst games vs Chargers last year. No JC that game. No Derwin either!

Chargers took away middle of field that game, not sure exactly what all they did but clearly a lot of press to mess up the timing and zone to contain speed. Seemed they still went with a lot of press yesterday but played way too much man. Amount of times they left Hill in single man coverage was just asking to get burnt. What was biggest issue you saw?

Tua did play one of better games I’ve seen, just got better and better as game went on and capped it off with 2 3rd down DIMES to Hill on the GW drive. I forgot just how ridiculous his ball placement can be. There was no defense for some of those throws. Of course that’s why you need to make him uncomfortable.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Lamar was completely off with timing and footwork

If wasn't just his footwork, it was his throwing mechanics. He was dropping his elbow, which elongates his release and is less repeatable. He looked terrible. Really disappointed in him. It seems correctable, but he was the opposite of sharp in week 1. Idk what his deal is. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spartacus said:

The problem is even though Hurts & Allen made huge 3rd year leaps they showed at least average ability as passers before their 3rd year. I feel like I was taking crazy pills this year with people thinking Fields would be an MVP candidate. He was statistically both with regular and advanced metrics one of the worse QBs in the NFL last year throwing the football. He comped extremely close and sometimes worse then the Wilsons who were both atrocious last year. IMO they would be better off drafting a new QB and switching Fields position. Great and dynamic athlete but a terrible QB. His legs have really saved the fact that he can't read an NFL defense for crap nor that he is fast enough on the intake to make quick decisions passing the football. 

This is where fantasy football has rotted people's brains. Fields scored a lot of fantasy points last year, so people assumed he was playing great football, when that obviously wasn't the case. 

The bears front office and coaching staff seems very suspect. Fake sharps. Bears don't seem to have a clue.