Week 1 GDT: MNF Bills @ Jets

NJC33

Monday Night Football: Buffalo Bills at New York Jets

Fellas.... The last decade of Jets football has been a perpetual rebuilding cycle; each year focused on the next... rinse & repeat. And, as much as I enjoy reading mocks in mid-October, it'd be nice to watch a game without thinking about draft implications for once.

On paper, this team should compete for a Super Bowl - whether that happens, who knows, but the roster stacks up against any team in the league. 

Quick thoughts/key matchups:

• Trench warfare: Two great defensive lines, two offensive lines with a ton of question marks. Rousseau v. Becton, Q v. O'Cyrus Torrence.. lot of intrigue here.
  • Run game: What are we getting out of Breece? Establishing the run could go a long way in creating opportunities downfield for Rodgers/Wilson
  • Game management: A lot of criticism around here for Saleh. I'm more concerned with Hackett's play-calling ability
  • Sauce vs. Digs: 🍿

Not much more you can ask for than a MNF season opener on 9/11 vs. a division rival. Atmosphere in the stadium should be wild.

Ultimate Jets fan 'Fireman Ed' ready for Aaron Rodgers                   A heartache finish for fans after raucous tailgating in Kansas City

This game is big for week 1. The jets pull this off it is a great start to the season. 

This is what I think happens.

Cook carries the ball a lot. i think Hall only gets about 5 carries to cook 15-18 carries. 

Rodgers throws for 3 TD's and about 350 yards. I'm not a fan off Bills CB. White is not the same after his injuries. 

Rodgers is sacked twice to start the game but the OL adjust. 

Allen will continue where he left off last year with some ball placement issues. I think Allen throws 2 picks in this game. 

Allen is under pressure all game with little to no run game to help him. 

McD gets his first sack of his career.

Wilson gets over 100 yards with a TD. 

Half time score is 14-7 Jets

Final score 35-21 Jets.

The shift has started. 

Offense: 

I'm expecting OL challenges with chemistry. Tomlinson and AVT haven't spent a lot of time on the field and we rotated a lot. Eventually, we'll get going and be fine. 

Defense: 

I think James Cook will be a problem for us. I feel good about the other matchups. 

It's going to be a good game. Buffalo should expose any flaws we may have so we can work on them sooner rather than later. 

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

This game is big for week 1. The jets pull this off it is a great start to the season. 

This is what I think happens.

Cook carries the ball a lot. i think Hall only gets about 5 carries to cook 15-18 carries. 

Rodgers throws for 3 TD's and about 350 yards. I'm not a fan off Bills CB. White is not the same after his injuries. 

Rodgers is sacked twice to start the game but the OL adjust. 

Allen will continue where he left off last year with some ball placement issues. I think Allen throws 2 picks in this game. 

Allen is under pressure all game with little to no run game to help him. 

McD gets his first sack of his career.

Wilson gets over 100 yards with a TD. 

Half time score is 14-7 Jets

Final score 35-21 Jets.

The shift has started. 

Kinda a bold prediction dont ya think. Last year Bills lost all 3 of their games by a total of 8 points. We didnt lose a game by more than a FG... wont saying that wont happen but 14 points seems to be a lot. 

As for Tredavious White... his knee took longer to to get back to normal than anticipated. He was still a very good corner but wasnt his elite self. He should be back at full strength now however.

And many of Allens turnover issues at the end of the year was because of his elbow issue took a lot off his velocity. Thats 100% now so i dont expect to see nearly as many turnovers as he had last year. Jordan Palmer said in a recent interview that this injury to his elbow was worse than the one he suffered his rookie year that cost him multiple games. The only difference being that now he throws more with his waist instead of arm so he was able to play through it.

Should be a solid matchup tonight. I have a feeling Nate Hackett will be the issue with the Jets this year and potentially hold this team back. And i do believe at this point in his career Rodgers is overrated. He wasnt that great last year for Green Bay. I think the Jets defense will be dominant and will be carrying them again this year.

Good luck and hopefully we have an injury free game.

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

I have a feeling Nate Hackett will be the issue with the Jets this year and potentially hold this team back

Maybe, but this is Rodgers offense.  If he does not like what is called, he will change it.  I do not think Hackett will have a huge impact one way or the other.  If Rodgers goes down, then it is a different ballgame.

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

And i do believe at this point in his career Rodgers is overrated. He wasnt that great last year for Green Bay.

Perhaps, but for a Jets team that has not had even a competent QB for such a long time, he will make this team better.  Keep in mind, the Jets were 7-4 heading into December with the garbage QB's we had.  They completely **** the bed after the Minny loss.  I imagine Rodgers would not have let the 2022 Jets tank like that.  If Rodgers was on the 2022 Jets, we most likely have double digit wins.

A side note. I would have liked to have seen Hamlin play.  Perhaps it is better for him to make his debut in Buffalo but he is an inspiration and it would have been nice to see if Jets fans gave him any type of ovation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

A side note. I would have liked to have seen Hamlin play.  Perhaps it is better for him to make his debut in Buffalo but he is an inspiration and it would have been nice to see if Jets fans gave him any type of ovation.

Looking at from a pure football stand point I am not that surprised. Cam Lewis offers more versatility as a back up nickel CB and back up S. Siran Neal is the teams top gunner and a 4 core special teamer. Just a bit of a numbers game for Hamlin tonight. (I also suspect the Bills go heavy with active DL). 

7 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Kinda a bold prediction dont ya think. Last year Bills lost all 3 of their games by a total of 8 points. We didnt lose a game by more than a FG... wont saying that wont happen but 14 points seems to be a lot. 

As for Tredavious White... his knee took longer to to get back to normal than anticipated. He was still a very good corner but wasnt his elite self. He should be back at full strength now however.

And many of Allens turnover issues at the end of the year was because of his elbow issue took a lot off his velocity. Thats 100% now so i dont expect to see nearly as many turnovers as he had last year. Jordan Palmer said in a recent interview that this injury to his elbow was worse than the one he suffered his rookie year that cost him multiple games. The only difference being that now he throws more with his waist instead of arm so he was able to play through it.

Should be a solid matchup tonight. I have a feeling Nate Hackett will be the issue with the Jets this year and potentially hold this team back. And i do believe at this point in his career Rodgers is overrated. He wasnt that great last year for Green Bay. I think the Jets defense will be dominant and will be carrying them again this year.

Good luck and hopefully we have an injury free game.

If Rodgers wasn't the QB, I'd be more concern with Hackett as OC. 

Carl Lawson is inactive. 

Think we start out rough and make it work down the home stretch .... 24-27 Jets ... Opening stretch is rough and we can be sure we're gonna get everyones best shot ... and in division the dolphins will be legit for as long as tua is healthy