Week 1 GDT: MNF Bills @ Jets

NJC33

8 hours ago, drew39k said:

Flacco is super trash. Hard pass. Plus he doesn't even have any sort of advantage when it comes to working with the receivers or oc since they are all new. 

The only real options in play are guys like Wentz, Ryan and maybe Rivers. None of them would be ready for at least a month. Even then I'm not convinced that they would be an improvement. 

The season is going to hinge of what kind of impact Rodgers has and will have on the development of ZW.

Flacco is trash but I can't see Ryan or Rivers coming out of retirement for this, especially the latter. We can't continue with Zach Wilson and Tim Boyle or Chris Streveler as those backing him up. 

I find it funny how people think the Vikings will trade Cousins Why? Your not trading for a starting QB on a team after week 1. That never happens. Then you add the fact they have no idea on the play book unless they played for Hackett in the past. I also don't want to trade a draft pick for a back up QB. This is why I say ever other year you should draft a QB late no matter what. Heck even every year would be fine too. Keep the competition up for the QB 2 and 3 spots. The only ones that make sense to me is Rivers, Ryan and Wentz. I would take Wentz over the other becasue Rivers has been out of football for awhile and Ryan looked like he has no power left in his throws. Wilson should be the starter no matter what. Until we hit a massive losing streak he is the QB 1. If you do hit a massive losing streak this will give wentz plenty of time to learn the playbook and could pull a Nick Foles for the jets. I just hope Wilson turns it around big time and is the QB of the future. I know this will not happen and I hate Wilson but maybe just maybe ARod helped him out and the new OC is a lot better than the old one. 

• Like 1

I think Wentz is the most cost effective option then. Commanders were a pretty bad football team. The '21 year with the Colts just came down to a bad final couple of weeks. As a backup, he's the best option. And he doesn't have to be the leader given they have Dalvin Cook and Lazard/Cobb in there. I still think they need to trade for OL at the deadline. One way or another, a trade has to be made this year, unless they are a bad 2-4 or 1-5. I would trade for Stafford as well, but that's only if Rogers is retiring, otherwise I don't know the cap situation. Would the Rams eat his remaining salary for a 1st round pick? 

Edit: Just realized Rams won, so Stafford trade very unlikely.

Edited by WheatieMan

Don’t think there are any upgrades at QB out there over Zach … nick foles may be serviceable … but for better or worse this is Zachs team … know Aaron’s gonna have a ton to deal with but hope he’s here on the sidelines once he’s taken care of his Achilles 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ukjets21 said:

Flacco is trash but I can't see Ryan or Rivers coming out of retirement for this, especially the latter. We can't continue with Zach Wilson and Tim Boyle or Chris Streveler as those backing him up. 

Flacco was legitimately as bad as Wilson was last year. Despite being a veteran with lots of experience. He had no pocket awareness, arm punted the ball all over the place and was just plan trash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

I think Wentz is the most cost effective option then. Commanders were a pretty bad football team. The '21 year with the Colts just came down to a bad final couple of weeks. As a backup, he's the best option. And he doesn't have to be the leader given they have Dalvin Cook and Lazard/Cobb in there. I still think they need to trade for OL at the deadline. One way or another, a trade has to be made this year, unless they are a bad 2-4 or 1-5. I would trade for Stafford as well, but that's only if Rogers is retiring, otherwise I don't know the cap situation. Would the Rams eat his remaining salary for a 1st round pick? 

Edit: Just realized Rams won, so Stafford trade very unlikely.

We can't afford having Stafford aboard with Rodgers' dead cap being on the hook.

First off, didn't want to come in here immediately after the game and the results of the MRI.  But that Rodgers' injury sucks for everyone.  The Jets, the Packers, and the fans of the NFL.  It would have been fun watching Aaron Rodgers play with an elite defense and some damn good offensive weapons.  And at 39 years old, who knows how much longer he's got in the NFL.  If we're being honest, I think the competitive side of Rodgers brings him back in 2024 and I know I'll be rooting for him to return back to health.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I find it funny how people think the Vikings will trade Cousins Why? Your not trading for a starting QB on a team after week 1. That never happens. Then you add the fact they have no idea on the play book unless they played for Hackett in the past. I also don't want to trade a draft pick for a back up QB. This is why I say ever other year you should draft a QB late no matter what. Heck even every year would be fine too. Keep the competition up for the QB 2 and 3 spots. The only ones that make sense to me is Rivers, Ryan and Wentz. I would take Wentz over the other becasue Rivers has been out of football for awhile and Ryan looked like he has no power left in his throws. Wilson should be the starter no matter what. Until we hit a massive losing streak he is the QB 1. If you do hit a massive losing streak this will give wentz plenty of time to learn the playbook and could pull a Nick Foles for the jets. I just hope Wilson turns it around big time and is the QB of the future. I know this will not happen and I hate Wilson but maybe just maybe ARod helped him out and the new OC is a lot better than the old one. 

The "closest" comparison I could come up with was the Sam Bradford trade.  He was traded on September 3rd, and he suited up for the Vikings on September 18th.  He didn't play Week 1 against the Titans.  But I'd agree, I'd put a Kirk Cousins trade as the longest of long shots.  For the Vikings, they'd need to be overwhelmed and from my understanding the Jets can't trade their FRP or SPR because of the conditions of the Rodgers' trade even though it's 100% going to be a SRP going to Green Bay.  They'd have to amend the original trade, and Green Bay probably doesn't have any motivation to do so since allowing the Jets to potentially trade their FRP this year could improve their standing and devalue that SRP the Packers are getting.  Honestly, Jameis Winston is probably your "best" option moving forward.  I'd have to imagine that New Orleans would be willing to move him given that Carr is their starter.  Beyond Winston, I'd say that Gardner Mishnew or Nick Foles would be the best bets, and probably a tad safer than Winston but probably not nearly as much upside.

Would be nice if the coaching staff could put their nuts on the table and design an offense around Zach. Unfortunately too many guys are ego driven or don’t have the ability to adapt their systems to the players. 

IDC if you only give him two reads then he has to run or throw it away. Make it work. I’ll never understand how coaches have such steep learning curves for their offenses where it takes Aaron Rodgers a few years to understand. 

Edited by jetsfan4life51
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

We can't afford having Stafford aboard with Rodgers' dead cap being on the hook.

My point was, when the Rams gave up all those picks, the Lions were putting Stafford's salary under their cap for the '21 year in exchange for multiple 1sts. I did not even know this was possible before this trade. So, in theory, Stafford can come to the Jets with no cap hit whatsoever against the Jets if the Rams are still paying him 0-100% of his base salary (plus the mandatory dead money cap hit). It kind of makes sense as a loophole to cap issues, and we see it in other sports like MLB for sure and NBA (I believe, but less familiar). 

Anyhow, had the Rams lost, I'd seriously consider this, but they are probably contending this year so scrap it.

Edited by WheatieMan

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The "closest" comparison I could come up with was the Sam Bradford trade.  He was traded on September 3rd, and he suited up for the Vikings on September 18th.  He didn't play Week 1 against the Titans.  But I'd agree, I'd put a Kirk Cousins trade as the longest of long shots.  For the Vikings, they'd need to be overwhelmed and from my understanding the Jets can't trade their FRP or SPR because of the conditions of the Rodgers' trade even though it's 100% going to be a SRP going to Green Bay.  They'd have to amend the original trade, and Green Bay probably doesn't have any motivation to do so since allowing the Jets to potentially trade their FRP this year could improve their standing and devalue that SRP the Packers are getting.  Honestly, Jameis Winston is probably your "best" option moving forward.  I'd have to imagine that New Orleans would be willing to move him given that Carr is their starter.  Beyond Winston, I'd say that Gardner Mishnew or Nick Foles would be the best bets, and probably a tad safer than Winston but probably not nearly as much upside.

While intuitively, you are probably right about the 1st round pick next year, I find it hard to believe if Rogers goes on the full season IR (which may have already happened), that 1st round pick gets activated again. If the IR is only 8 weeks now max with the recent updates to the rule, then the Jets will just exercise it closer to the deadline to ensure 60% of snaps cannot be reached. If something like this holds up the Jets from making a deal for XXX player, it is safe to say teams will never do business with GB again... unless it is a deal that is absolutely necessitated (ie. Love becoming another Rogers/Farve on a horrible Packer team towards the end of his tenure, and a contending team trading yet again for a future HoF QB type of situation).

Edited by WheatieMan

14 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

My point was, when the Rams gave up all those picks, the Lions were putting Stafford's salary under their cap for the '21 year in exchange for multiple 1sts. I did not even know this was possible before this trade. So, in theory, Stafford can come to the Jets with no cap hit whatsoever against the Jets if the Rams are still paying him 0-100% of his base salary (plus the mandatory dead money cap hit). It kind of makes sense as a loophole to cap issues, and we see it in other sports like MLB for sure and NBA (I believe, but less familiar). 

Anyhow, had the Rams lost, I'd seriously consider this, but they are probably contending this year so scrap it.

Rodgers' GTD is too heavy to cover.

It may be only way to work out for Jets is to acquire Stafford for 2023 season only and then trade him away after the season is concluded.  lol.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Would be nice if the coaching staff could put their nuts on the table and design an offense around Zach. Unfortunately too many guys are ego driven or don’t have the ability to adapt their systems to the players. 

IDC if you only give him two reads then he has to run or throw it away. Make it work. I’ll never understand how coaches have such steep learning curves for their offenses where it takes Aaron Rodgers a few years to understand. 

If we had an offensive minded head coach this is what would happen but Saleh wants safe mistake free football. 

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If we had an offensive minded head coach this is what would happen but Saleh wants safe mistake free football. 

Putting myself in Zachs shoes….

It must feel really discouraging and patronising to be constantly told not to **** up rather than going out there and making plays.

I don’t think handcuffing him in the hopes he can do just about enough to stay in games is the way forward.

We need to heavily rely on the run game but this playing not to lose mentality has shown doesn’t work. Maybe for a game or two but no chance for a full season. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Rodgers' GTD is too heavy to cover.

It may be only way to work out for Jets is to acquire Stafford for 2023 season only and then trade him away after the season is concluded.  lol.

I don’t think LA will trade Stafford after the game against the Seahawks. They won’t throw the season away unless they lose the next six. Same goes with Minny and cousins. 

Our best bet is trading for a backup guy with upside that we could catch lightning in a bottle. My guy would be Jameis Winston.