Week 1 GDT: MNF Bills @ Jets

NJC33

There is also a psychological component to professional sports that management seems to be ignoring here. 

This team was excited to a man because, finally, ownership, management and the coaching staff were ready to make a QB change. They made a commitment to win. Winning did NOT equal having Zach Wilson under center. That is why Saleh seemed positively giddy at the thought of the very mediocre Derek Carr coming to town. 

The mental deflation of losing Rodgers is probably even greater than the physical drop-off that we now have under center. They will lose the room if they continue to back one of the worst starting QBs in the history of football.

I have been arguing since last year that Wilson should not even have been brought back. You can't demote a guy, keep him around to work the clipboard and then seriously look in the eyes of the rest of the team when you bring that guy back as the starter. The players on this team know what's what. They know why Rodgers was courted. They know why they were going to leave no stone unturned to find an upgrade.

This was never a situation where everybody in the organization was happy with Wilson, but Rodgers became available so why not go for him. This was a situation where the rest of the team was ready to win, except the QB (who should be on the practice squad at this time). So a new QB was coming in regardless. Where they failed was in not getting an insurance policy in case their new 39-year-old QB could not survive the entire season. They invested a ton in Rodgers and in building this team. But ignoring the backup QB position is unforgiveable.

This offense was already flawed. Rodgers was supposed to hide some of the weaknesses. Now? They will be more exposed than Ginger Lynn in one of her videos.

We need a new QB under center. If this GM and coach refuse to pull the trigger on their failed project, then bring people in who will properly and objectively evaluate our next QB. 

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If we had an offensive minded head coach this is what would happen but Saleh wants safe mistake free football. 

Sure but how many coaches out there actually do that?

Even Rex Ryan the defensive genius made guys like Sheldon and Coples adapt and fit what he wants instead of playing to their strengths so they can flourish. That to me is an ego thing of either “I’m so good anyone can succeed.” Or “I’m so good you better change and do it my way.”

2 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Putting myself in Zachs shoes….

It must feel really discouraging and patronising to be constantly told not to **** up rather than going out there and making plays.

I don’t think handcuffing him in the hopes he can do just about enough to stay in games is the way forward.

We need to heavily rely on the run game but this playing not to lose mentality has shown doesn’t work. Maybe for a game or two but no chance for a full season. 

Agreed, if he's playing not to make a mistake then he'll never consistently make plays. I dont think anyone wants him playing reckless but there's a fine balance of attacking while being smart. 

• Like 1

Rewatched highlights, we should be doing 3 TE sets and running down Highway 77 and Ruckert.  Have both Breece and Cook in the backfield, use them heavily with screens and check downs.  This is doable, take advantage of an aggressive defense.  Use Lazard and GW for "jump balls" and for GD sake let Zach air one or two out to Mecole.  

13 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Rewatched highlights, we should be doing 3 TE sets and running down Highway 77 and Ruckert.  Have both Breece and Cook in the backfield, use them heavily with screens and check downs.  This is doable, take advantage of an aggressive defense.  Use Lazard and GW for "jump balls" and for GD sake let Zach air one or two out to Mecole.  

I'm on board with almost everything here. Not interested in having breece and cook in the background at the same time. I don't think the minimal confusion it might cause is better than he having an extra blocker to open the run game or an extra wr to give off the appearance of a pass. .

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Zach is going to have to take some shots deep. You cannot play consistently not moving the ball downfield. The Bills were stacking 8-9 in the box at times. 

Ruckert has looked like an absolute stud blocking at TE. Such a good football player and he puts in effort. He has to be used more and more, he blows away Uzomah as a blocker. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Zach is going to have to take some shots deep. You cannot play consistently not moving the ball downfield. The Bills were stacking 8-9 in the box at times. 

Ruckert has looked like an absolute stud blocking at TE. Such a good football player and he puts in effort. He has to be used more and more, he blows away Uzomah as a blocker. 

Ruckert was great in the run game but if memory recalls CJ did have two big blocks on two of breeces big plays. Just need to establish the run early and let Zach air it out at times. 

Like others have mentioned; we have a stud in Garrett Wilson who can constantly win in 1v1 situations and a giant in Lazard who will win most jump ball situations.

Just can’t have many 7 step or long winded plays against the cowboys as they will cause so much pressure. Needs to be quick easy throws to start the game and let Zach gain confidence.

If Hackett can’t script the fist two drives to allow Zach some easy plays then he’s in the wrong job. Hell even Gase was a genius in the first drive of games (just after that when it all went to ****) Sorry @KingOfNewYork

• Like 1

i DON'T CARE WHO WE BRING IN FOR A BACKUP FOR A BACKUP. IF WE DON'T FIX THAT HORRENDOUS O LINE THE 2023 SEASON WILL BE OVER EARLY. OUR DEFENSIVE CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH TO KEEP GAMES CLOSE. WE HAVE OUTSTANDING RUNNERS & TOP RECEIVERS, BUT THIS O LINE CAN'T RUN BOCK OR PASS BLOCK.

SIDE NOTE i SURE HOPE BOBBY 816 IS OK HAVEN'T HEARD FROM HIM.

20 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Yeah, I don't think the solution here is to have #2 "make more plays". I am sure Bill Belichick would LOVE that.

It's if he's not doing that, we aren't winning anyways. If Zach plays safe, we are going to lose games. If Zach makes mistakes we are going to lose. If Zach can make plays and not make as many mistakes - that's likely our best chance at winning games.

So many are overlooking the obvious in regards to deep pass plays.  The OL does not allow it.  If the ball is not out in 3 seconds or less, the QB is swamped.  Until the OL consistently shows that it can pass block effectively, the best game pass game plan is short quick hits.

• Like 1