Duck's Mock Draft 1.0

Da_Ducktator

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

You are saying he didn't have a great year? Because that would be false. Direct me to some bad game tapes of his. They don't exist.

As a FSU fan who seen him daily i would say he had a pretty good year overall.  But also will say he won't fit in everyones scheme as his deep coverage leaves alot to be desired and although he has great athleticism he can lose track of the ball in coverage a bit.    I think he would be great as a in the box safety with above avg coverage skills in limited space.  Something like we do with Neal would be really nice for him.    That way he can still blitz at times and he would do well against the run as well as be able to handle TE's coming out of the backfield.     If we were to draft him on the Falcons for a deep centerfield safety like Allen does im not so sure he would flourish with what he brings right now.  He would have to be coached up alot for that type of safety and hope his brains and reaction skills catches up with his athleticism.

37 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

As a FSU fan who seen him daily i would say he had a pretty good year overall.  But also will say he won't fit in everyones scheme as his deep coverage leaves alot to be desired and although he has great athleticism he can lose track of the ball in coverage a bit.    I think he would be great as a in the box safety with above avg coverage skills in limited space.  Something like we do with Neal would be really nice for him.    That way he can still blitz at times and he would do well against the run as well as be able to handle TE's coming out of the backfield.     If we were to draft him on the Falcons for a deep centerfield safety like Allen does im not so sure he would flourish with what he brings right now.  He would have to be coached up alot for that type of safety and hope his brains and reaction skills catches up with his athleticism.

I agree that he needs work on tracking the ball and recognizing route concepts as a deep safety, but I think he can learn those things. He's not asked to do that much at FSU. I really do think he can play FS. Is it ideal for his skill set? Probably not, but he is not limited to being an in the box S like some of the recent 1st round SS types. He can move all over a defense. He was basically a nickel linebacker at FSU, but I don't have any doubts he could be a Sean Taylor type of dude that lines up high and as a LB'er. It will take some time, but the dude is more than athletic enough to do it.

The Bengals need offensive linemen in the worst way.  If we don't take Nelson at #9, we need to trade down and gather picks in the area where the OTs and top OCs are lurking and come away with 2-3 of them in the early rounds.  I know you aren't doing trades, so I'd take nelson there at #9, and pray Orlando Brown slips to us in the second.  If we traded back, i''d also target Billy Price.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers - QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville

• Josh Dobbs is not going to be the answer and Big Ben retiring is a real issue for this team to be concerned about. Jackson's infusion of athleticism to go along with this talented offense could be exciting.

Though I like Jackson, I think LB Roquan Smith might be the pick if he is there.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I agree that he needs work on tracking the ball and recognizing route concepts as a deep safety, but I think he can learn those things. He's not asked to do that much at FSU. I really do think he can play FS. Is it ideal for his skill set? Probably not, but he is not limited to being an in the box S like some of the recent 1st round SS types. He can move all over a defense. He was basically a nickel linebacker at FSU, but I don't have any doubts he could be a Sean Taylor type of dude that lines up high and as a LB'er. It will take some time, but the dude is more than athletic enough to do it.

You can save this quote; Derwin James will never, ever be anywhere near close to what Sean Taylor was.

Taylor had 14 INT's in his last two seasons. Derwin has three in his career. James' doesn't have anywhere near the ball skills and coverage prowess that Taylor had. Only one of James' INT's even came on a good coverage play. Other two were tipped to him.

People see great athlete and assume coverage skills. James is lacking in that area, and severely for a guy people want to peg as an elite prospect. I like his ability to tackle and play sideline-to-sideline in the box. I think he has the makings of a quality box safety, but you're going to be drastically mistaken if you try to draft him as a ball-hawking free safety. You're going to feel even worse if you think this guy is the second coming of the greatest safety prospect who ever lived...

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah we think of him about the same way actually i still think he is a stud of a player i just don't think i want him as a center field type FS anytime soon plus as said we think it wastes his best talents if someone were to do that.   Kam and neal are not terrible in coverage by no means even though they are in the box safety's they can both do well in coverage when called upon.  I seem him as a more athletic version of that which is a huge win for someone if they can play him like that.

5 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

You can save this quote; Derwin James will never, ever be anywhere near close to what Sean Taylor was.

Taylor had 14 INT's in his last two seasons. Derwin has three in his career. James' doesn't have anywhere near the ball skills and coverage prowess that Taylor had. Only one of James' INT's even came on a good coverage play. Other two were tipped to him.

People see great athlete and assume coverage skills. James is lacking in that area, and severely for a guy people want to peg as an elite prospect. I like his ability to tackle and play sideline-to-sideline in the box. I think he has the makings of a quality box safety, but you're going to be drastically mistaken if you try to draft him as a ball-hawking free safety. You're going to feel even worse if you think this guy is the second coming of the greatest safety prospect who ever lived...

Sean Taylor is my all-time favorite player. I know exactly what he was. I don't care about INT numbers. Sean Taylor played as a high safety more than he played as a box safety and had more opportunities to make splash plays. James played hardly any high safety at FSU. I think James could, in time, develop those instincts. He's a superb athlete. Is it a bit of a projection? Sure. Is it something I feel he can do? Absolutely.

The Sean Taylor comparison is given for athletic reasons. He still needs to flesh himself out as a coverage person, but the raw talent is at the front of the list when looking at past safety prospects. He's an A+ box safety with B- coverage skills. Over time and with reps as a high safety, I believe that B- can become an A. This isn't Mark Barron we're talking about here. He's a superstar in the making and will not slide into the teens on draft day.

This draft is supposed to be all about the offense for the 49ers after going defense heavy last year. Much prefer Nelson to Chubb, who I'm not even sure fills what we need on defense. Is he going to play LEO at 275-280 pounds? I don' think that's a great fit. I really want to see him at the combine to verify. I want to see his weight, 3 cone, things like that. I have no issues with him as a player and I think that he will be a legit pass rusher in the NFL in the right situation, I just don't know if his fit is our fit.. We already have too many people that play the big DE spot and interior UT role. Barkley could make sense, but I have a hard time seeing Shanny pulling the trigger on that one. All things considered, if we really are going offense heavy in this one (which is just a rumor), Nelson makes the most amount of sense to me. 

On 12/6/2017 at 8:40 PM, patsfaninpa said:

I love Roquan Smith. But, Belichick likes those lb's with some junk in the trunk. Mayo and Hightower. Can I have

Mo Hurst Jr(Pops was a good cb for Pats back in the day) and Harold Landry Edge - BC at 34??

I suppose it really depends on how much weight folks expect Smith to put on in his first year-plus in the league.  7-10 lbs is probably reasonable, but it will really depend on how much lighter than his present listed weight (225) he is.  Mayo played as a pro at somewhere between 237 and 242, IIRC so if Smith's weight is true I don't know that it's going to be so much of a difference teams are really going to bat an eye at it if they love his tape.  Roquan does a fantastic job shedding blocks and his tackling is technically sound, so i don't really know that the weight is as much of an issue as fans will want to make it out to be.

Archived