Duck's Mock Draft 1.0

Da_Ducktator

On 12/7/2017 at 6:15 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

You can save this quote; Derwin James will never, ever be anywhere near close to what Sean Taylor was.

Taylor had 14 INT's in his last two seasons. Derwin has three in his career. James' doesn't have anywhere near the ball skills and coverage prowess that Taylor had. Only one of James' INT's even came on a good coverage play. Other two were tipped to him.

People see great athlete and assume coverage skills. James is lacking in that area, and severely for a guy people want to peg as an elite prospect. I like his ability to tackle and play sideline-to-sideline in the box. I think he has the makings of a quality box safety, but you're going to be drastically mistaken if you try to draft him as a ball-hawking free safety. You're going to feel even worse if you think this guy is the second coming of the greatest safety prospect who ever lived...

I don't even think James ends up being used in the manner that Taylor was.  His appeal is going to be more as a guy who can come down into the box and quick-drop or be manned up on slot receivers and TE's.  Kam Chancellor is a bad prospect comparison, but I won't be shocked to see James used similarly depending on what team drafts him.  James' instincts and ability to read/diagnose on the fly is going to be valued more closer to the LOS.  Think Eric Weddle.

All that said, in this scenario, knowing what I do of Telesco, I'd be more of the belief he'd take Wilkins over James.  2018 is the easy-out year on Corey Liuget's overpriced contract and Brandon Mebane has only one year left on his deal and is likely looking at retirement following that.

On 08/12/2017 at 12:44 AM, Forge said:

Barkley could make sense, but I have a hard time seeing Shanny pulling the trigger on that one. All things considered, if we really are going offense heavy in this one (which is just a rumor), Nelson makes the most amount of sense to me.

1- Barkley. He is a RB right. So yes im not sure Shany would like a RB that high considering a- what he had in Atlanta (Freeman in the 4th, Coleman in the 3rd) b- Hyde playing fairly well and theres honest rotation behind c- Success of his father with late rounds RBs. But Barkley is special and not only on the field. Solomon Thomas was good on the field but im sure his off field character is something which made him the selection too for ShanaLynch. And Barkley has it in term of work ethic, coachable, good teammate, potential to lead by exemple both on and off the field. Thats why that selection would make sense to me.

2- Nelson. Great player and would fill a big need. But at #3 ? A bit weak of a move in term of positionnal value. Dream scenario would be Darnold and Rosen going 1 and 2 and so then some teams (Jets ? Cards ? Broncos ?) willing to trade to take either Lamar or Baker and so the team would add extra picks and down to lets say 7-10 range and take Nelson.

3- Alternative : Derwin James. Eric Reid is free-agent to be and he could be upgraded right ? Add an athlete like James to Buckner/Thomas/Foster would be nice for that D. Then you go offense with others picks...

6 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

1- Barkley. He is a RB right. So yes im not sure Shany would like a RB that high considering a- what he had in Atlanta (Freeman in the 4th, Coleman in the 3rd) b- Hyde playing fairly well and theres honest rotation behind c- Success of his father with late rounds RBs. But Barkley is special and not only on the field. Solomon Thomas was good on the field but im sure his off field character is something which made him the selection too for ShanaLynch. And Barkley has it in term of work ethic, coachable, good teammate, potential to lead by exemple both on and off the field. Thats why that selection would make sense to me.

2- Nelson. Great player and would fill a big need. But at #3 ? A bit weak of a move in term of positionnal value. Dream scenario would be Darnold and Rosen going 1 and 2 and so then some teams (Jets ? Cards ? Broncos ?) willing to trade to take either Lamar or Baker and so the team would add extra picks and down to lets say 7-10 range and take Nelson.

3- Alternative : Derwin James. Eric Reid is free-agent to be and he could be upgraded right ? Add an athlete like James to Buckner/Thomas/Foster would be nice for that D. Then you go offense with others picks...

Safety is actually not really an issue, but it also depends on what we do there. There are a lot of moving parts. Eric Reid is a free agent, but I also think that his activism will hurt him in the market. It's not out of the realm of possibility that we resign him on a bit of a sweetheart deal, and he's still a solid safety. We also have Jimmy Ward. He's on his fifth year option. Honestly, he hasn't been worth it thus far into his career (can't stay healthy, didn't play all that great at safety, but he played pretty well at corner and has some great versatility), and then we have Tartt, who played great this year and the staff is very high on. Add to that, Adrian Colbert has actually played very well since moving into the lineup due to injury. He's just a rookie 7th round pick, but the staff has to like what they have seen from him thus far. If we go secondary, I have to imagine it would be a corner rather than James, which may make Fitzpatrick more of a possibility as opposed to James. 

Depends on how you feel about the guard position. I think its rapidly being prioritized more and more. Look at the salaries they are being given now. Yes, salaries are on the rise for everyone, but it seems like guards have made a particularly large jump recently. Especially when you consider the bevy of interior rushing linemen who keep coming out. When you are in a division with Seattle, and have Aaron Donald on the Rams, interior line play is crucial. And to be honest, you could say the same thing about running back with regards to positional value. I'd rate guard higher on positional value than running back to be perfectly honest. 

Trade down would still be my favorite preferred situation. Grabbing an extra pick and then grabbing Nelson at a more palatable #6 or #7 or so, but honestly, I'm still not 100% positive that he's there. All depends. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Fitzpatrick more of a possibility

Sure, it would make sense. But i still think of James instead for two reasons : 1- He is a great athlete and considering their first moves they like guys to be athlètes, like Witherspoon and his size/speed, Thomas and Foster. I didn't Watch a 49ers full game since mid season, only 8 min highlights of their games since so i do not know that Colbert. Not sure he would prevent them to take James. 2- They'll have some money to spend and watching a list i see a guy like Trumaine Johnson who could be a target for Lynch. I think the front 7 is in good shape, an edge rusher would be a nice add but overall that front 7 work. So i imagine they'll focus on the secondary via a big free-agent and/or a high draft pick. James ? But Fitzpatrick too, right.

Nelson, i cant agree more in term of need and the quality player he is. Just #3 is very high. But i don't doubt there will be a battle for QBs after Browns and Giants picks and the Niners will be in a perfect position to trade down some. And take Nelson.

You will find Saints fans torn on Baker Mayfield.  Most agree if it was just his football ability alone, we would all be for him, but some of us, myself included, find his antics and immature attitude to be an issue and will likely continue into the NFL as it's not new mistakes he's making but a pattern of repeating the same mistakes.  Hopefully he will grow up and become the QB that he can be, but I would much prefer Lamar Jackson who might have even better tools but needs more development, though with Sean Payton I'm more than comfortable with him learning those skills.

On 12/6/2017 at 10:02 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

19. Green Bay Packers - OT Connor Williams, Texas

• The offensive tackles in Green Bay simply cannot stay healthy. Williams is a big risk for that same reason and inconsistencies on tape, but it's probably a chance worth taking for this squad.

Definitely an interesting pick here.  Bulaga went down with a torn ACL against the Lions, and odds are high he starts the year on the PUP list.  Initial reaction is they'll give Jason Spriggs every opportunity to win the spot opposite of David Bakhtiari, and even then they still have Kyle Murphy who looked like a serviceable RT before he also went down with injury.  Still, the upside with Connor Williams is there and could give the Packers pair of elite OTs.  And the Packers haven't been shy about investing 1st round picks into an OT.  Ideally, they'd have an EDGE in range of them that they could maneuver around to land them without giving up the farm.  They're probably not going to be anywhere near close enough to land Bradley Chubb or Arden Key.  They could opt to draft another CB early.

Personally, I dont see Guice making it passed Clevelands second pick. If they take a QB, they will want to get a good running game going to take pressure off their young QB. And with the recent successes of rookie RB's, I think they will be willing to take that chance.

Archived