Week 14 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Houston Texans

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Should have called timeout earlier. That way we could have gotten off one more play before the field goal.

Still, 244 yards by the offense in the first half is pretty damn good. Just need to convert more in the red zone or in the Texans territory. 

I really wonder if we don't make a hard play for someone like Jimmy Graham in the offeseason. Given Shanny's propensity to run multiple TE sets, and the unbelievably woeful red zone execution, he makes so much sense. 

Just now, Forge said:

I really wonder if we don't make a hard play for someone like Jimmy Graham in the offeseason. Given Shanny's propensity to run multiple TE sets, and the unbelievably woeful red zone execution, he makes so much sense. 

That would be awesome. I wonder what is holding Kittle back from being a bigger factor in the red zone. Just his hands?

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Think so? Made us use a timeout there for a three or four yard gain. Thought maybe he should have thrown it away.

I think he didn't have a route to escape the pocket other than straight up the middle. I'll have to see it again. But he didn't force the ball, just took a quick burst up the middle and created a small positive play. If he had an escape route and wouldn't have gotten called for intentional grounding, than I agree with you. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I think he didn't have a route to escape the pocket other than straight up the middle. I'll have to see it again. But he didn't force the ball, just took a quick burst up the middle and created a small positive play. If he had an escape route and wouldn't have gotten called for intentional grounding, than I agree with you. 

Fair enough.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

That would be awesome. I wonder what is holding Kittle back from being a bigger factor in the red zone. Just his hands?

I think its just him being a rookie right now. I think that he'll progress. The hands thing is a bit surprising - he was known for having pretty good hands in college. Maybe improved route running. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've been  saying for a few weeks now that I just don't see the same potential in Kittle that others do. Even if he develops Celek is just a warm body holding down a spot. I want us to add a TE.  We've got money so go ahead and sign a good vet, or take another shot at one in the draft, I don't care which.  But we need to try to upgrade from Celek and Kittle.

Just now, big9erfan said:

I've been  saying for a few weeks now that I just don't see the same potential in Kittle that others do. Even if he develops Celek is just a warm body holding down a spot. I want us to add a TE.  We've got money so go ahead and sign a good vet, or take another shot at one in the draft, I don't care which.  But we need to try to upgrade from Celek and Kittle.

I see potential in Kittle as a 2nd TE doing the things that he does well. But I agree - a better starter would be a big help, especially in the red zone. I like the Jimmy Graham idea. Kittle would be a good #2 TE behind Graham. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I see potential in Kittle as a 2nd TE doing the things that he does well. But I agree - a better starter would be a big help, especially in the red zone. I like the Jimmy Graham idea. Kittle would be a good #2 TE behind Graham. 

I definitely think that Kittle has TE 1 potential, but more like an average tight end. Kyle rudolph like, maybe? For whatever reason, he doens't play as fast as his timing. But I still think that Graham would make a lot of sense, and he may be looking for a final payday as opposed to discounted contender. He's already got a super bowl ring, and given his health issues in the past, he may be looking for the last big one to finish his career. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Agreed.  He certainlly could be a good second TE.  I mean he could surprise and develop more than that.  But right now I don't see approaching the ranks of top TEs in the league, or even the upper half of them

Archived