Jets QB Aaron Rodgers tears Achilles; Out for season

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

He was pressured literally every drop back on what is described as designed quickread dropbacks.

He was pressured because he held onto the ball longer than he should have. His OT's did their jobs and executed cut blocks, but if the QB holds onto the ball that's not on them, that's on the QB...the play where Rodgers got hurt he literally had a wide open slant route and just chose not to throw it, then took the sack. That's not on the OL.

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

You say the Jets have invested heavily in OL. No. They have spent two 1sts on this current OL - that’s not more than other teams. Their LT is one of the smallest investments in a LT league wide. They knew they had Rodgers during this draft, but instead of grabbing an OT (1st round talents were still available, despite the Pitt/Jones jump), they go with a rotational player.

2 1st round picks on the OL and very capable players elsewhere is somehow now not investing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Let's give Aaron some responsibility here as well. His play style resulted in an unnecessary hit that caused the injury unfortunately. He couldn't allow his game to progress how he needed to in order to stay healthy for the Jets. 

Eventually the NY fans will get over the shock and sadness and realize Aaron kinda screwed them over himself.

If there is a way for you to bag on Rodgers you will certainly find it.

Regardless this was very likely to happen at some point this season. Not because of his play or the Jets OL, but these Achilles injuries are often just someone's body breaking down. The calf issues he was dealing with were very likely not just calf issues and his lower leg was probably a ticking time bomb. Could Rodgers have protected himself better? Sure. Could the Jets OL have blocked better? Sure. Framing Rodgers getting injured being his fault though is pretty nuts. These are humans with delicate bodies taking beatings for 20+ years. No one is at fault it is just football.

5 hours ago, G said:

I understand what you're saying and as a Raider fan I'd personally have a QB with that gunslinger mentality than a system follower. Both can win games and it's hard for a gunslinger to play 'small ball' and take the quick throws. You are probably right about winning more games if he could have 'flipped a switch' and did that more often but the gunslinger is what made him and Brett so great and why so many non Packer fans love them as players. Mahommes is a gunslinger but his coach is able to get him to play within the system too. Probably because Andy had so much respect from players with the success in Philly (but not win the big one) that a rookie QB sitting behind a vet who was a system QB (Smith) had to realize that he can be himself once he fits into the system. Know the rules before you break the rules. Aaron had so much success after replacing Brett and that he replaced Brett that any coach after that first one was under him in his mind. Aaron needed a coach he respected or that he could tell how it's going to go. So I understand what you're saying...

I don't know if I'd call Rodgers a gunslinger.  Farve was a gunslinger.  AR was almost too careful with the ball and was averse to throwing INTs his entire career.   The last few seasons in GB he would often pass throwing to an underneath open guy and try to make the bigger play.  It drove me crazy when he wouldn't take what the defense gave him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Tough one for Jets fan, they look legit and with Rodgers could’ve been special. 

Granted it was a 4 snap sample size, this is debatable. He looked lost, rusty and hesitant on the quick hitters that were called. One which resulted in the injury. The other, he had to roll out to the right to throw away which gave me "old man coming out of retirement" vibes. To me, it was just a continuation of the signs he already showed at the end of last season. Decline.

Edited by Nex_Gen
Their defense is definitely legit

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If there is a way for you to bag on Rodgers you will certainly find it.

Regardless this was very likely to happen at some point this season. Not because of his play or the Jets OL, but these Achilles injuries are often just someone's body breaking down. The calf issues he was dealing with were very likely not just calf issues and his lower leg was probably a ticking time bomb. Could Rodgers have protected himself better? Sure. Could the Jets OL have blocked better? Sure. Framing Rodgers getting injured being his fault though is pretty nuts. These are humans with delicate bodies taking beatings for 20+ years. No one is at fault it is just football.

Re-read what I wrote.

Focus on the word "some"

Rodgers took heavy pressure and so did Wilson. I don't know how much the Jets invested in their line but they certainly did not play well in pass pro yesterday. Jets were also quite conservative so I don't know how many coverages the Bills were running.

Edited by nagahide13

5 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I can't understand why anyone is crying about 8 years of Aaron Rodgers. Whatever criticism you have, he still brought home the Lombardi and routinely went to the playoffs.

Through the lens of a Jets fan, you just come off as a spoiled brat with these remarks.

Yes, he routinely went to the playoffs but on more than one occasion non-Packers fans posters here would wonder why a QB of his caliber didn't have more postseason success since 2010.  Some of us are just pointing out reasons why we believe his aversion to taking what a defense gave him sabotaged his chances at returning to the SB.  No Packers fan is happy about his injury.