2023 GDT 0-1 Steelers vs. 1-0 Da Browns

Steeler Hitman

Do the Steelers Bounce Back with a win versus Da Browns?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Steelers Bounce Back with a win versus Da Browns?

• Yeah, they bounce back!
    • You're a homer and you're dreaming!
    • They tie. Like kissing your great aunt and she slips you the tongue. Yuck!!!

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

https://x.com/bepryor/status/1702398014768201892?s=46&t=42tUkm2Yd7KQT50AO-ppJQ

Did Jones take ANY reps at RT during camp? I don’t remember it happening, but could be wrong. But if he hasn’t, our coaching staff isn’t the sharpest crayon in the box. 

He’s worked both sides of the line. He did some at mini camp if I remember. Story on him out of Georgia was he’d practice on the right, play on the left. 

There’s not much to be optimistic about this week, but I’ll say…this is exactly the type of game Tomlin has historically pulled out of his you know what. 

I could see us winning an ugly one 20-16. Defense shows up in a big way after getting embarrassed last week and the running game  shows a bit of life.

• Like 2

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/09/watch-the-steelers-offense-is-so-boring/

Video here from Alex breaking down how boring our offense is. It's triggering for me as nothing has changed since year 1 with Canada. 

But couple things I noticed watching this:

- I'm not gonna blame Kenny (though it could be), but it really just feels like they call a concept, watch it back, and react to throwing what they missed regardless of what the coverage dictates. The first video shows Pickens open on the post...the second play is the same call, but Pickens is much better covered and we throw it regardless. Again, could be Kenny...but I kinda think that's Canada saying "we go here". 

- Pickens ain't gonna do a damn thing this year if they don't give him more variety. Look at the way the corner opens and bails early just to stay on top through this whole video. Saw a stat that he was involved in 40% go/post/corner. Between his usage, effort, and attitude, I'm losing some faith that he won't just be feast or famine. 

- Maybe someone can tell me more about the 49ers and if this is normal...but they didn't disguise anything. 

48 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Video here from Alex breaking down how boring our offense is. It's triggering for me as nothing has changed since year 1 with Canada. 

- I'm not gonna blame Kenny (though it could be), but it really just feels like they call a concept, watch it back, and react to throwing what they missed regardless of what the coverage dictates. The first video shows Pickens open on the post...the second play is the same call, but Pickens is much better covered and we throw it regardless. Again, could be Kenny...but I kinda think that's Canada saying "we go here". 

- Pickens ain't gonna do a damn thing this year if they don't give him more variety. Look at the way the corner opens and bails early just to stay on top through this whole video. Saw a stat that he was involved in 40% go/post/corner. Between his usage, effort, and attitude, I'm losing some faith that he won't just be feast or famine. 

- Maybe someone can tell me more about the 49ers and if this is normal...but they didn't disguise anything. 

It's one thing when Kenny says it, but in year 1 under Canada Ben had a mind numbing bad read and he made comment that "the play was supposed to go there".  Like...that's Ben saying that, the master of busting plays to make them, he needed to go where the play took him.  I can't add much more than what I've said in the past about this but Canada's offense seems to be designed about where he wants the ball to go and getting it to someone, rather then deciding a concept that gives the WR/QB ability take what defenses give them.

As for the bolded - straight from my buddy who covers the Niners on a podcast:

We don't really realize we need to disguise our defense a whole lot, because they don't really line up everyone at the same spot on every down.  Our DB's are expected to play inside and out, FS and SS are supposed to know how to play each position, all 3 LBers need to play all 3 spots, and DE's need to be able to flip onto each side.  The Niners rely on the fact that their offense is so explosive it forces opposing offenses to press, so their defense is built on you not realizing someone is playing LCB instead of RCB and the like.  They don't try to suddenly shift anyone or cycle through because they feel they have enough playmakers that it's hard enough to just find them all.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

- I'm not gonna blame Kenny (though it could be), but it really just feels like they call a concept, watch it back, and react to throwing what they missed regardless of what the coverage dictates.

I am a Kenny Pickett fan and supporter and he played a horrible game. I am not a Matt Canada fan and he didn't call as horrible a game if the offense can move a DL, open a hole, and throw consistently with accuracy. Matt Canada looked a lot smarter at the end of last year when the Steelers could run the ball and pass with better accuracy and proficiency. 

The first video shows Pickens open on the post...the second play is the same call, but Pickens is much better covered and we throw it regardless. Again, could be Kenny...but I kinda think that's Canada saying "we go here"

Plays are designed a particular way. However, if the results are there they look different.  It doesn't look so bad if Kenny connects with Pickens.  You ar ethe QB and general of the field, if you don't see something, then you talk about it. I wouldn't force a ball consistently in triple coverage. Maybe success blinds us of flaws. Difference between this game and the preseason series is that Kenny connected on those pass routes consistently. He and the OL had a bad game. As the leader of the offense, so did Matt Canada. I don't believe he was the root cause. I am jut being objective. I don't like what he is doing or has done. I believe their were better options at OC out there. But yet understand why the Steelers wanted to keep stability with a second year QB not having to learn another system year two. 

That part is completely on Matt Canada. He has a weapon that he is going to have to more consistently and better utilize. DJ is gone and he needs to be the focal point of the receiving game. 

They played a good game and we played a bad one. They are a darn good football team. They took advantage of every opportunity and created breaks from our mistakes. That's what good teams do. I don't believe the Steelers are 23 points inferior to San Francisco. They certainly did not prove to be the better team but also played nowhere near their capabilities. The Steelers got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball, field position, and even lost the special teams battle.  (punting) battle. Give the 49ers and Brock their respect and due, but also know that you are capable of playing better. You now have to prove it in week two.  The Browns won't just roll over and quit. They are coming to punch the Steelers in the mouth too. Put some ice on your lip and eye and get ready to fight again. 

th?id=OIP.GmNXvsy_UHxIXbX2hBtqNwHaHa&pid