BDL 2023 Week 2 - Camden Hood Rats @ Cancun Kaiju

RedGold

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Camden Hood Rats
    • Cancun Kaiju

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/21/2023 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2023 Week 2

Match:  Camden Hood Rats @ Cancun Kaiju

Away Owner:  @TedLavie

Home Owner:    @Blue @MWil23

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Edited by RedGold
  • Like 1

Camden

QB Justin Fields
RB Khalil Herbert
WR AJ Brown
WR Nico Collins
WR Rashid Shaheed
TE Kyle Pitts
LT Dion Dawkins
LG Quentin Nelson
C Bradley Bozeman
RG Cody Whitehair
RT Lane Johnson

Bench
RB Josh Kelley
RB Jerrick McKinnon
WR Gabe Davis
WR Trey Palmer
TE Tyler Higbee
TE Gerald Everett
T Zach Tom
G Cesar Ruiz

RE Josh Allen
DT Aaron Donald
NT Harrison Phillips
LE Montez Sweat
LB Frankie Luvu
LB Lavonte David
CB L’Jarius Sneed
CB Rasul Douglas
CB Michael Davis
S Jacquan Brisker
S Eddie Jackson

Bench
Edge Josh Uche
Edge Carl Granderson
Edge Yannick Ngakoue
INT Osa Odighizuwa
INT A’Shawn Robinson
LB Divine Deablo
CB Darious Williams
CB Asante Samuel Jr.

Cancun

QB Patrick Mahomes
RB Rhamondre Stevenson
H-Back Kyle Juszczyk
X WR Mike Williams
Z WR Chris Olave
TE Foster Moreau
LT Yosh Nijman
LG Cordell Volson
C Ryan Kelly
RG Zion Johnson
RT Calvin Anderson

RB Devin Singletary
WR DJ Chark
WR Elijah Moore
TE2 Michael Mayer
WR/TE Mike Gesicki
OL6 Broderick Jones
OL7 Nick Gates
OL8 Ricky Stromberg I guess

DE Greg Rousseau
DT Jonathan Allen
DT Travis Jones
DE Cameron Jordan
LB Pete Werner
LB Ernest Jones
CB Tre’davious White
CB Cam Sutton
Spur Jalen Pitre
FS Kevin Byard
SS Darnell Savage

Edge/LB Kayvon Thibodeaux
Edge Dorance Armstrong
DT Lawrence Guy
DT Shy Tuttle
LB Zaire Franklin
CB Steven Nelson
CB Carrington Valentine
S Geno Stone

Edited by RedGold

Camden

Offense

Ease it up for Fields – After a tough week 1, we want to set Fields up for success here. Cancun boasts an impressive defensive line and we respect that, but they are weaker on the backend. So we want to implement a quick passing game to get Fields in rhythm and negate Cancun pass rush. AJ Brown will be heavily targeted here. We’ll move him around the formation and try to give him the ball in space to negate any potential double coverage Cancun will throw at us. We'll also use some screens (RB or WR with AJ Brown) on our base 3WR sets to counter potential blitzes and release the ball quickly.

Test Cancun DB depth – Cancun has three corners that actually play in the NFL – none of which are particularly scary. Last week they started in the slot Jalen Pitre who plays less than 10% of his snaps in the slot IRL – and he’s out this week. While we will use a 3WR formation as base (50% of the snaps), expect plenty (around 40% of snaps) of 4WR sets as well. Gabe Davis and Nico Collins outside are 4 and 5 inches taller than whichever Cancun corner covers them, and we will target them with high balls expecting them to make the contested catches they need to keep the chains moving. Rashid Shaheed will mostly line up in the slot and will have a similar role as AJ Brown. Kyle Pitts will mostly be used on mostly decoy deep routes, and will be targeted only if he’s covered man to man by a linebacker. On 4WR sets, expect to see us line up with a ton of bunch formations with Collins/Davis outside and Brown and Shaheed inside to pick on what we assume will be zone coverage.

Don’t forget the running game – Running the ball won’t be as critical as last week for us, but we still need to make Cancun respect it. Fields of course will take a lot of those responsibilities himself, with scrambles, RPOs or designated runs. We expect Ekeler to be out this case so Khalil Herbert and Josh Kelley will share the load with McKinnon getting so passing down snaps.

Defense

Take advantage of Cancun injuries – Both Cancun starting tackles are out this week, and Cancun interior OL isn’t good to begin with. Meanwhile, our pass rush combined for 13 sacks last week. We’ll keep it simple here and mainly rush four, expecting our pass rushers to beat Cancun OLinemen. Remember that Superbowl against Tampa where Mahomes had to run for his life after losing both starting tackles? That’s the kind of pressure we want to put here. We’ll heavily rotate our edge rushers. In obvious passing down, Osa Odighizuwa or even Montez Sweat will sub in for Philips. If we see Cancun starting to leave a tight end or running back in pass protection on every down, we’ll add in another blitzer.

Key on the running back and Mahomes –Rhamondre Stevenson is very capable on the ground but also as a pass catcher and we know that. Even Devin Singletary is respectable as a pass catching RB. So we’ll have Lavonte David keying on whoever running back plays. His great run/pass recognition and overall ability as a cover LB should be enough to stop that aspect of Cancun game. Should the RB stay in pass protection, David will switch assignments and go on a delayed blitz. Frankie Luvu will spy on Mahomes to avoid him escaping left and right under pressure.

Press man coverage – With the pressure generated by our DL we expect Cancun to try to force quick passes to Olave or high balls to Chark/Williams. We’ll counter that by having a cover-1 press man coverage scheme where our corners will match Chark/Williams size and Olave quickness. Here are the coverage responsibilities. 
Chris Olave – L’Jarius Sneed
Mike Williams – Michael Davis
DJ Chark – Rasul Douglas
Nick Westbrook (or WR4) – Darious Williams
Elijah Moore (or WR5) – Asante Samuel
-- If DJ Chark is out, Douglas gets WR3 and Williams gets in for dime packages

Mike Gesicki (or other TE1) – Jacquan Brisker (or Frankie Luvu in 2 RB sets)
Tight End #2 or Juszczyk – Divine Deablo
RB 2 (in 2 RB sets) – Jacquan Brisker

Cancun

Offense

We welcome the Hood Rats to the Beach today, a game we’re looking forward to. This is a monstrous pass rush group the late JLash put together, so our gameplan for today is to punch the ball straight down their throats to create space in the passing game and let us take advantage of a weak and beat up secondary. We will operate primarily out of 12 and 21 personnel this game, with Kyle Juszczyk splitting time between the backfield and on the line as a true H-Back. We’ll also get Mayer on the field as our second TE for 15-20 snaps, particularly in the redzone for a bigger receiving target.

Rhamondre Stevenson should get 25-30 carries today as we lean on him as our bellcow, rushing primarily between the tackles. Devin Singletary will pick up snaps in the two-minute offense and third down work to keep Stevenson fresh.

Our line is on the lookout for stunts and twists up the middle to attack our interior linemen, but our focus is on Aaron Donald. We want to get at least two interior linemen on Donald all game long, whether it’s a run or a pass play, and on run plays we’ll try to bring Juszczyk up to triple him at times. Donald has a transformative effect on the entire defense, so we want to wear him down early to force Camden to start rotating him out and bring much less effective interior rushers on to the field, giving Mahomes more room to work the pocket and pass downfield. To help us out here, we’ll be starting our best blocking TE in Foster Moreau to help out against Camden’s blitz happy front.

Like last week, Olave will be used on pre-snap motion to help identify the coverage, but we don’t expect much man or press coverage in this game. He draws more post and corner routes today as we take advantage of his playmaking ability to drag the safety back deep and away from the line of scrimmage. We’ll also play Elijah Moore and Mike Gesicki at this spot on the same routes to bring different skill sets to play, Moore being more of a speed merchant while Gesicki uses his size to box out Snead on jump balls. DJ Chark and Mike Williams will rotate at the other receiver position, and we want Mahomes to go to the X receiver frequently and often over the middle on slants and drags. Since we expect Camden to come after us with extra rushers, Mahomes will be looking for the soft spots in the coverage, particularly the area where the linebacker is rushing from. The running back will give us a checkdown or sideline option if the top two receivers are covered, with the tight end or H-back running a curl or slant as a final option in his typical progression.

tl;dr Lean heavily on running the ball up the middle, get multiple hats on Aaron Donald all game long, use motion and hit the big receivers in the zone soft spots, use Y receiver to force safeties out of the box

Defense

Defensively this week, we get Camden. With Kupp hurt and Fields struggling to find a rhythm, we anticipate them using a lot of heavier personnel packages, trying to establish the run using Fields, Ekeler, and others, and leaning on a playaction passing game and some screens when they do throw the ball.

As a result, when they come out in a 2 TE look on early downs, we will go to a 5 man Bear front on the DL with Thibs on and Savage off, giving a classic 50 look. Jordan will kick inside as the third DT with Jones as a nose. Pitre will move from Spur to S.

Alignment:

01-BS-vs-12p-ND.png?resize=840,628&ssl=1

The interior gaps will be completely closed and with the EDGES both in JAM/7 techniques, we are going to force them to run it through the A gap to an unblocked Jones or have Fields keep it and run into an unblocked Werner with a safety (Byard) as an alley fitter.

Should Camden choose to take off the 2nd TE, we will keep base personnel on early downs, using Rousseau as the TE side DE and Pitre as the spur will line up as such:

Bear_front.PNG

We also like our ability to send some varied man and zone looks out of these base fronts, sending pressure and also confusing Fields, while being able to run Cover 3 (rotating safety look from 2 high), Cover 4 (no rotation), and man/man free with a robber, letting Byard eat up intermediate routes and perhaps force a turnover or two.

xScreen,P20Shot,P202014-09-07,P20at,P209

(Pitre is your UFO defender here).

Ultimately, we feel it’s best to mix and vary coverages, while accounting for Ekeler and Pitts in the passing game, jamming Pitts off the line or making him flex out to the slot with Pitre in the apex.

We respect Brown on the outside and anticipate getting some shots to him and perhaps Collins, so White will be matched exclusively against Brown in one of the above coverage looks.

When we do send pressure, it will be up the middle with ends playing heavy contain against Fields or from his throwing side (right) from the apex.

This week our philosophy is to be gap sound and make Fields beat us from the pocket throwing to someone not named Brown, having to take shorter options on early downs by taking away the run, which we don’t feel like he can do right now.

DT next to Allen will continue to rotate heavily with Rousseau, Jones, Guy, and Tuttle all playing snaps there.

Edited by RedGold

Give me the Cancun Coconuts. I’ve seen Mahomes make mince meat out of defenses with some suspect tackle play and I don’t trust Fields against this defense and scheme. I don’t think it’s a blow out and Camden will get some pressure and sacks to keep it close but I expect a Mahomes strike to Olave for the game winning score. 

You have the ******* gall to call out Andrus Peat when Nijman literally played 12 snaps on offense and Anderson is a ******* turnstile in pass protection.  You auto lose because you can't protrct your QB.

Edited by PR

49 minutes ago, PR said:

You have the ******* gall to call out Andrus Peat when Nijman literally played 12 snaps on offense and Anderson is a ******* turnstile in pass protection.  You auto lose because you can't protrct your QB.

I'm not choosing to start either of them, my starting tackles were both out after being listed as questionable.

7 hours ago, Blue said:

I'm not choosing to start either of them, my starting tackles were both out after being listed as questionable.

And Peat is starting because Christensen is out, but you are baffled. 

We are literally in the same boat.

The Cancun offensive line is one of the worst I've seen in my BDL years.  Obviously due more to injuries but I think Mahomes gets slaughtered here.  Conversely, Camden wants to hit the short stuff which is exactly what Cancun wants to let them do.  Will Fields be able to do that consistently?  Probbaly not but I just think they have far fewer negative plays

Camden 14-10

So yes I definitely remember the Bucs v Chiefs Super Bowl. You want to know what the ultimate factor in that game was? It wasn’t Mahomes running for his life. It was the fact that it was the most biased officiating I’ve seen in my adult life and I haven’t been nearly as interested in watching scripted games since. Bringing up the fact that Mahomes would have eviscerated the Tom Brady and the Buccaneers despite missing two tackles is a negative towards Camden and honestly makes me want to vote against them simply for bringing up the game that made me quit football. 

Justin Fields is the worst QB not only in BDL but in the NFL. I am generally against just voting QB but this isn’t #3 QB v #14 QB which I consider competitive. This is the actual best QB in my lifetime vs some guy that would maybe be a backup in a 32 team league. Cancun’s O line may be the worst you’ve ever seen in BDL but Justin Fields is probably the worst QB who’s ever started a game in BDL too. Cancun can lose next week if they don’t have their tackles 

6 minutes ago, Whicker said:

So yes I definitely remember the Bucs v Chiefs Super Bowl. You want to know what the ultimate factor in that game was? It wasn’t Mahomes running for his life. It was the fact that it was the most biased officiating I’ve seen in my adult life and I haven’t been nearly as interested in watching scripted games since. Bringing up the fact that Mahomes would have eviscerated the Tom Brady and the Buccaneers despite missing two tackles is a negative towards Camden and honestly makes me want to vote against them simply for bringing up the game that made me quit football. 

Justin Fields is the worst QB not only in BDL but in the NFL. I am generally against just voting QB but this isn’t #3 QB v #14 QB which I consider competitive. This is the actual best QB in my lifetime vs some guy that would maybe be a backup in a 32 team league. Cancun’s O line may be the worst you’ve ever seen in BDL but Justin Fields is probably the worst QB who’s ever started a game in BDL too. Cancun can lose next week if they don’t have their tackles 

That's a pretty high bar to climb over Josh Rosen and Tyrod Taylor