A 2008-esque loss, Packers (1-1) fall to the Falcons (2-0) - Week 2 postgame thread

Striker

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The run defense has not earned this kind of defense. There is no grace period for the run defense like there is for our offense. Last year, they were one of the worst run defenses in NFL history as far as efficiency goes, and 2021 wasn't much better.

It's low hanging fruit because it's such a blatantly obvious flaw that even someone like my wife who doesn't give two ****s about football can watch the game with me and ask "why does the other team ever pass when you can just keep running for first downs." 

Yet we changed nothing. DC still in place, DL coach still in place, LB coach, still in place, scheme still in place. That signals, these guys are going to fix this. They did not, and it cost us another winnable football game. Making excuses for it is a losers mentality at this point as it will cost us more football games.

It's probably a little early to declare nothing has changed, if by midseason Atlanta is doing this on a weekly basis and the Packers go back to week one effort, does the Monday after opinion change. Too many people are losing their minds over something they should have known was a possibility. A country club training and players not in football shape will lead to hitting a 2nd half wall. 

39 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

If you're relying on flea flickers, that's a bit worrisome.

His play improved after the scripted plays which is good...then it fell off a cliff.  No running game hurt, but he had a couple very bad throws late.

I'm more surprised that the scripted plays have been this bad two weeks in a row.

Literally best outcome possible first drive, 2nd drive big negative on a run sets them back week 1 scripted plays. And then an explosive into penalties, which weren't on Love. And next drive was a big negative run and a broken protection this week...

Are we assuming they're staying on script when it's 3rd and long, off the back of -5 yard runs/penalties?

Yall really be talking out of school for no reason..

Edited by HighCalebR

35 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I think it's very clear Lafleur doesn't trust Love to run the full offense and the last two drives couldn't have illustrated it any better. He didn't look good in the two minute, that sneak was awful and he's lucky one of their DBs didn't take one to the house on him. I like to **** on Ridder as much as the next guy but he looked way more composed down the stretch then Love did.

Terrible, just terrible take! 

Riddler had his full complement of offensive players. Love was without Bak, Jenkins, Jones and Watson. He still threw 3 TD passes. 

If you think he was going to be comfortable with his blind side protectors being backups and one of them Newman, you just aren't that bright. 

The reality, not your take, was MLF didn't trust the other 10 guys out there to do their job so he could run the whole offense and not get his quarterback killed. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, R T said:

It's probably a little early to declare nothing has changed, if by midseason Atlanta is doing this on a weekly basis and the Packers go back to week one effort, does the Monday after opinion change. Too many people are losing their minds over something they should have known was a possibility. A country club training and players not in football shape will lead to hitting a 2nd half wall. 

More unmitigated bull****! They had two teams in to scrimmage against this preseason. The starters played some in each preseason game. The Packers worked harder than they have since MLF has been here. 

You are just throwing **** against the wall to see what will stick in defense of the run defense. 

Nobody, that I see on this sight is saying it was a lack of effort. It was a defensive coordinator who seems to be clueless as to what the other team is doing to his defense and incapable of adjusting accordingly. 

49 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Terrible, just terrible take! 

Riddler had his full complement of offensive players. Love was without Bak, Jenkins, Jones and Watson. He still threw 3 TD passes. 

If you think he was going to be comfortable with his blind side protectors being backups and one of them Newman, you just aren't that bright. 

The reality, not your take, was MLF didn't trust the other 10 guys out there to do their job so he could run the whole offense and not get his quarterback killed. 

Keeping huffing that copium. Love played like **** for the majority of that game. It's okay. There's still plenty of season left to see improvement. I don't want to hear anything about injuries, he isn't going to have everyone healthy the entire year, it's the nature of the league. He's been extremely average at best so far, yesterday was a chance for him to show he's got that "it" factor and he just didn't come through. 

8 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Keeping huffing that copium. Love played like **** for the majority of that game. It's okay. There's still plenty of season left to see improvement. I don't want to hear anything about injuries, he isn't going to have everyone healthy the entire year, it's the nature of the league. He's been extremely average at best so far, yesterday was a chance for him to show he's got that "it" factor and he just didn't come through. 

Played like **** for the majority of the game? Were you watching the same game? If that was playing like ****, I would love to hear your review of Rodgers last year and in the playoffs.

Confession, I love Barry, he was a lovely chap in London and I can never say a bad word against him. Anyway, I don't put this on Barry or the defence. To be a great defence you need a functioning offence, and when the offence functioned yesterday the defence also played really well. And when the offence stunk the bed the defence also stunk it up. 

My theory has always been that defence and offence are highly inter related, the only exception is when you have a worldly offence or a worldly defence, one then doesn't rely on the other but that is very rare. Check the Jets out, they have a brilliant D coordinator/HC and more talent than the Packers and yet they couldn't prevent the Cowboys putting up 30 points against them because their offence could do diddly squat.  What I feel makes the Niners so good is that they have a top tier defence but also a functional offence. They work in tandem together. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Played like **** for the majority of the game? Were you watching the same game? If that was playing like ****, I would love to hear your review of Rodgers last year and in the playoffs.

Who cares. He isn't on the team anymore. Let's focus on the guy who's playing right now and try not to compare him to a standard he's probably never going to live up to.

3 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

None of that was Rodgers' fault according to him. He prays at the altar of Aaron Rodgers. Every time I reply to his drivel, I regret it because he lives in an alternate universe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Literally best outcome possible first drive, 2nd drive big negative on a run sets them back week 1 scripted plays. And then an explosive into penalties, which weren't on Love. And next drive was a big negative run and a broken protection this week...

Are we assuming they're staying on script when it's 3rd and long, off the back of -5 yard runs/penalties?

Yall really be talking out of school for no reason..

If we didn't score til the second quarter...how did we have the best possible outcome on the first drive?

That makes no sense.

And it doesn't change the fact that Love's completion percentage early and late has been bad. Hopefully it's not a trend, but it's happened both games.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

If we didn't score til the second quarter...how did we have the best possible outcome on the first drive?

That makes no sense.

And it doesn't change the fact that Love's completion percentage early and late has been bad. Hopefully it's not a trend, but it's happened both games.

56% on 26 passes a game is good to these guys.

3 minutes ago, StatKing said:

56% on 26 passes a game is good to these guys.

No one is saying Love played great. It was his 2nd start as a starter on the road and giving the circumstances:

-missing his entire blind side

-Missing his best play maker in Aaron Jones

-no running game

-Missing his best WR and Field stretcher in Watson and his 2nd best WR on a snap count in Doubs. So he was throwing primarily to rookies the entire game

Giving the circumstances, he played well. There's plenty of things to clean up and the 4th quarter was ugly but not many QBs are gonna succeed under those circumstances. 

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

None of that was Rodgers' fault according to him. He prays at the altar of Aaron Rodgers. Every time I reply to his drivel, I regret it because he lives in an alternate universe. 

Atleast Rodgers could pull of a QB sneak and complete a 4th quarter pass.