A 2008-esque loss, Packers (1-1) fall to the Falcons (2-0) - Week 2 postgame thread

Striker

2 minutes ago, StatKing said:

He's been alright. I think it's safe to say at this point he isn't a bust. I just dont see anything special about him so far. Hopefully I'm wrong but everything so far tells me he's more of a Derek Carr than a Patrick Mahomes.

1st in the league in the two major bulk stats, TD and QBR, 1st in the league in the most important analytical metrics, EPA and AY/A. Without his #1 WR for both games, #2 WR for most of 1 game, and his LT and RB for a game.

"He's alright." 

• Like 3

Rodgers had 5 games of sub 60 percent accuracy his first year. In two of those games he attempted 26 and 27 passes. He threw 6 TDs to 7 INTs. Ending stats were fine though, 63 percent accuracy, 28 TDs, 13 picks. Love just needs a few spike games in terms of completions to level that off.

Also, you never know how these players will develop. Josh Allen, who also had accuracy concerns coming out, had years of 52.8 and 58.8 completion percentage before jumping to 69.2 in his third year as a starter. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think accuracy is a bit of a hurdle he needs to cross,  but in the presser today MLF laid the blame on Doubs on a late Love overthrow. I think the routes aren't all being run to perfection out there. 

Thats kind of an important hurdle. The first down on our first drive of the 4th quarter he tried throwing it to Reed, I think, and Doubs was wide open on the other side of the field.

I think it's very telling how Lafleur tries to keep him out of pure passing situations. Its been a small sample size so far but he's gotta do better when everyone knows he's gotta throw the ball.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

1st in the league in the two major bulk stats, TD and QBR, 1st in the league in the most important analytical metrics, EPA and AY/A. Without his #1 WR for both games, #2 WR for most of 1 game, and his LT and RB for a game.

"He's alright." 

i genuinely feel bad you can't ignore posters

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is interesting data. Now I'm curious how young Rodgers looked across these splits (and other young QBs generally)

Too small a sample on Love. Take out just one game and Love is 4/5 for 71 yards in the 4th Q and he should have two opening drives that resulted in points (something Rodgers only did once last year).

The biggest issues I've seen are inaccurate deep balls and then issues with young receivers reading the wrong coverage on choice routes.

1 minute ago, Striker said:

Rodgers had 5 games of sub 60 percent accuracy his first year. In two of those games he attempted 26 and 27 passes. He threw 6 TDs to 7 INTs. Ending stats were fine though, 63 percent accuracy, 28 TDs, 13 picks. Love just needs a few spike games in terms of completions to level that off.

Also, you never know how these players will develop. Josh Allen, who also had accuracy concerns coming out, had years of 52.8 and 58.8 completion percentage before jumping to 69.2 in his third year as a starter. 

Getting Watson back will open up some throws for him as well and improve that. Ditto on getting Jones AND Watson back (hopefully together).

I have a grand total of zero concerns about Love, leading the league already, with a VERY young group of pass catchers at his disposal. Packer fans would be the only fanbase not collectively ridiculously excited about a young QB who is playing like he is.

Of course, a significant percent of "Packer" fans are secretly rooting for Love to fail and their opinions are total trash.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

"He's alright." 

His numbers in the 4th quarter looked real good yesterday. You know the quarter where good QBs put middling teams like the Falcons away. 

35 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I'm going to say it once last time because apparently it's hard for Packers fans to comprehend. The year is 2023, not 2008. Aaron Rodgers career has no relevance to Jordan Loves.

All you guys are doing is making excuses. The guy wasn't accurate in college and so far he's struggled with accuracy in the pros. I want the guy to be good but being critical doesn't make me a troll or hater.

Love was rolling at 14 for 19 until they needed to start pressing late in the game and the running game collapsed. You're looking for reasons to hate on a guy who's first in the NFL in plenty of statistical categories. 

Even the last throw in the middle of the field, which wasn't caught, was an absolute dime. 

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is interesting data. Now I'm curious how young Rodgers looked across these splits (and other young QBs generally)

It's worth keeping an eye on at the least.  We don't want slow starts and poor finishes to become habit.

And before people say I want him to fail, I don't.  He's been very calm and in control and hasnt turned the ball over.  He's been very good.  He hasn't been great yet imo.  Great finds a way to get in range for one last FG attempt at the end against the ATL defense even missing all those offensive pieces.