Buffalo's 2018 Offseason Information

Maxmw22

I have gathered information to hopefully aid those who are looking toward the offseason and want to start doing their own mock offseasons. If there are any inconsistencies, please let me know

Under Contract:

QB: Tyrod Taylor, Nathan Peterman

RB: Lesean McCoy

FB: Patrick DiMarco

WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Brandon Reilly

TE: Charles Clay, Khari Lee, Keith Towbridge

OT: Cordy Glenn, Jordan Mills, Dion Dawkins,  Conor McDermott

OG: Richie Incognito, Vladimir Ducasse, John Miller, Ryan Groy

C: Eric Wood

DE: Shaq Lawson, Jerry Hughes, Ryan Davis,

DT: Adolphus Washington

OLB: Lorenzo Alexander, Matt Milano, Tanner Vallejo, Nordly Capi, Deon Lacy

MLB:

CB: Tre'Davious White

FS: Jordan Poyer

SS: Michah Hyde

LS: Reid Ferguson

K: Steven Hauschka

P: Colton Schmidt

Free Agents:

QB Joe Webb, RB Mike Tolbert, RB Travris Cadet, RB Taiwan Jones, OT Seantrel Henderson

WR Jordan Matthews, WR Deonte Thompson, WR Brandon Tate

DT Kyle Williams, DT Cedric Thorton, DT DeAndre Coleman

ILB Preston Brown, OLB Ramon Humber,

CB E.J. Gaines, CB Leonard Johnson, CB Shareece Wright

SS Colt Anderson,  SS Shamarko Thomas

Cap Space: $32 mil

Draft Picks:

1st

1st (KC)

2nd

2nd (LAR)

3rd (Phil)

4th

5th

6th (Jax)

15 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I believe we have the Jags 6th which can turn into a 5th if/when they make the playoffs. 

Can't believe how thin we are in the secondary. 

Yeah the Jags 6th pick is looking like it'll be a 5th.

Also we might have our 7th round pick as well. Conditions never were releasedbut seeing as how McCray never played I'm assuming we might keep that pick

Thank you for posting I usually do an offseason mock but it's too early for me.  I will use this as a guide line for my mock offseason.  I'm hoping KC doesn't make the playoffs that way we get two picks in the top 18?   That would be awesome!!  We need CB's and DT, MLB, OLB, DE upgrade, QB (franchise), OL, I'm for signing Cadet as the #2 RB he has impressed me.  Also I'm for resigning Matthews as long as he doesn't demand to much I like him as a #2 WR with Jones being in the slot.  

• 2 weeks later...

No matter how this season ends I will want a new OC to grow and develop our rookie QB. Dennison is okay with his scripted plays but his lack of adjustments and being hell bent on running outside zone is killing us. I don't see Dennison as a long term solution so why bother keeping him for a rookie QB?

My list of  position coaches that I think would be great:

*MY criteria is a guy who's gotten the most out of there position and has learned from an established OC or is learning from one.

Scott Milanovich (Jags QB Coach and former HC/OC in the CFL)
Sean Ryan (Texans QB Coach)
John Defilippo (Eagles QB Coach)
Kevin Stefaniski (Vikings QB Coach)
Mike McCoy
Jay Gruden (Potential firing)
Dirk Koetter (Potential firing)

My mock off season

Cuts

Lorenzo Alexander 

Jerry Hughes

John Miller 

Resign

Kyle Williams 1yr/5m

E.J Gaines 

Travaris Cadet

Deonte Thompson

Trade - Cordy Glenn

Sign 

DT Star Lotulelei

DE Alex Okafor

RB Mike Gillislee 

LB Nigel Bradham

Draft

Bears trade pick 7 to Buffalo for Bills 2018 (1)(2) 2019 (2) and OL Cordy Glenn

Bills select

1 (7) QB - Lamar Jackson 

1 (24)DT - Christian Wilkins 

2 - LB Malik Jefferson

3 - OT Martinas Rankin 

4 - OLB - Josey Jewell

5- WR Dante Pettis

QB - Tyrod Taylor - Nathan Peterman, Lamar Jackson (R)

RB - LeSean McCoy - Travris Cadet, Mike Gillislee

FB - Patrick Dimarco

WR - Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes

WR - Zay Jones, Dante Pettis (R)

WR- Deonte Thompson

TE - Charles Clay, Nick O'Leary

LT - Martinas Rankin (R)

LG - Richie Incognito

C - Eric Wood

RG - Braden Smith (R)

RT - Dion Dawkins 

DE - Alex Okafor, Eddie Yarbrough

DT - Kyle Williams, Christian Wilkins (R)

DT - Star Lotulelei, Adolphus Washington

DE - Shaq Lawson, Ryan Davis

WLB - Matt Milano

MLB - Malik Jefferson (R)

SLB - Nigel Bradham, Josey Jewell (R)

CB - Tre'Davious White

SS - Micah Hyde

FS - Jordan Poyer

CB - EJ Gaines

CB - Leonard Johnson

Just don't see us letting Preston Brown go. He is unfortunately our best linebacker. That's just making another hole on this team. Let's see what he can do when he doesn't have to play his position and help out Alexander who is frequently out of position. And when Lorenzo is in position he is way to slow and Preston still has to help out. I think a group of Milano, Bradham, and Brown would be a very good core and could use that extra pick on the linebacker to draft another need instead of having a late round rookie as our RG

Just a couple things @BillsGuy82

I think John Miller could be moved for even a 7th. Probably a 5th for how desperate teams are for OL help. I don't see New England cutting Gilislee. I'm sure its possible but we'll see. I would be extreamly scared of our WR and depth if thats how we went into the season. Benjamin can't stay healthy and neither Jones or Thompson will scare anyone. IMO we need a legit #1 and have Jones/Benjamin play in a support role. I don't understand why we would move Dawkins to RT when he has played extremely well at LT. 

I really like the look of our front 7. Jefferson is going to be such a dominant force at the NFL. And Bradham is everything Buffalo needs right now as long as he can stay out of trouble off the field. Star Lotulelei seems like a lock for the Bills. Wouldn't be surprised if they go after Kony Ealy as well. I love Lamar Jackson, and I can understand the rational behind keeping Tyrod for another year or two, but if Dennison remains OC neither of those will happen as its clear, they aren't fits for his WCO. Mason Rudolph would make sense at the end of round 1. 

22 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Just a couple things @BillsGuy82

I think John Miller could be moved for even a 7th. Probably a 5th for how desperate teams are for OL help. I don't see New England cutting Gilislee. I'm sure its possible but we'll see. I would be extreamly scared of our WR and depth if thats how we went into the season. Benjamin can't stay healthy and neither Jones or Thompson will scare anyone. IMO we need a legit #1 and have Jones/Benjamin play in a support role. I don't understand why we would move Dawkins to RT when he has played extremely well at LT. 

I really like the look of our front 7. Jefferson is going to be such a dominant force at the NFL. And Bradham is everything Buffalo needs right now as long as he can stay out of trouble off the field. Star Lotulelei seems like a lock for the Bills. Wouldn't be surprised if they go after Kony Ealy as well. I love Lamar Jackson, and I can understand the rational behind keeping Tyrod for another year or two, but if Dennison remains OC neither of those will happen as its clear, they aren't fits for his WCO. Mason Rudolph would make sense at the end of round 1. 

Our front 7 if a lot plays out nicely if a hypothetical scenario above. Right now, it stinks and is one of the worst units of any team in the league. We have no pass rush, cant stop the run and have no depth.

I really dont get this we need a WR1 stuff, Benjamin is a WR1. Whilst we would all love a superstar Julio Jones / Odell Beckham type, you have to luck into those. And right now I barely see a WR1 in this draft class, never mind a superstar.

36 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Our front 7 if a lot plays out nicely if a hypothetical scenario above. Right now, it stinks and is one of the worst units of any team in the league. We have no pass rush, cant stop the run and have no depth.

I really dont get this we need a WR1 stuff, Benjamin is a WR1. Whilst we would all love a superstar Julio Jones / Odell Beckham type, you have to luck into those. And right now I barely see a WR1 in this draft class, never mind a superstar.

I agree with both statements. There is room for improvement at the WR position but I don't see how it comes close to taking priority over any of the huge list of needs we have. 

1 hour ago, BigMountainGoat said:

I don't think we need a number 1. I think we just need a starting quality Flanker. Need a deep threat. Matthews and Zay have been playing out of position all year. They are not Flankers... They're just not fast enough. Finally the Bills got smart and started playing Thompson at Flanker. Issue is he is a good player to have but he should be a backup Flanker. Tyrod is really missing the deep threat that he had in Sammy and Percy Harvin which he had briefly. I don't think you put WR in front of Front 7. I think we get a DT and a SLB. Then add a WR. Then go back to DE. DE might be more of a need but when you add other players to the front 7 then the DE need goes down as that hole is masked more with the other additions around... If that makes sense.

I still think front 7, OL and QB are bigger needs then WR but I also don't think Benjamin is a true #1 and Jones, while has shown flashes and promise, has also shown bust potential.

I would love to throw a lot of money at Davante Adams. But in reality would settle for either Allen Robinson or Marquis Lee to help shore up the group and maybe even try and get Mathews on a 1 year deal. 

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I still think front 7, OL and QB are bigger needs then WR but I also don't think Benjamin is a true #1 and Jones, while has shown flashes and promise, has also shown bust potential.

I would love to throw a lot of money at Davante Adams. But in reality would settle for either Allen Robinson or Marquis Lee to help shore up the group and maybe even try and get Mathews on a 1 year deal. 

I fully expect us to go QB, DE, DT, LB, OL before WR in draft. 

Benjamin is a fine WR1 and I think we should be able to get a FA WR and I expect improvement from Zay Jones 

19 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I don't think we need a number 1. I think we just need a starting quality Flanker. Need a deep threat. Matthews and Zay have been playing out of position all year. They are not Flankers... They're just not fast enough. Finally the Bills got smart and started playing Thompson at Flanker. Issue is he is a good player to have but he should be a backup Flanker. Tyrod is really missing the deep threat that he had in Sammy and Percy Harvin which he had briefly. I don't think you put WR in front of Front 7. I think we get a DT and a SLB. Then add a WR. Then go back to DE. DE might be more of a need but when you add other players to the front 7 then the DE need goes down as that hole is masked more with the other additions around... If that makes sense.

Yep, on a day 2 / day 3 it makes sense.

Archived