I thought for sure C.J Stroud was going to go first.

mdonnelly21

I know it's early, but C.J atm is looking like the clear best QB of this years draft. 

I thought after what he did against Georgia last year it was going to lock him in at the #1 pick. 

I mean how many NFL prospects were on that defense? Georgia was considered the clear cut best team last year and Ohio St was maybe a Marvin Harrison Jr injury away from winning it. Have to wonder if they win that does it propel Stroud to go #1. (Not that it should have been the deciding factor.) 

On eye test Stroud looked to me like he was clearly going to be better than Bryce Young. I just didn't see what the hype was about. 

And at least for the first few games it looks like what I thought was right. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I know it's early, but C.J atm is looking like the clear best QB of this years draft. 

I thought after what he did against Georgia last year it was going to lock him in at the #1 pick. 

I mean how many NFL prospects were on that defense? Georgia was considered the clear cut best team last year and Ohio St was maybe a Marvin Harrison Jr injury away from winning it. Have to wonder if they win that does it propel Stroud to go #1. (Not that it should have been the deciding factor.) 

On eye test Stroud looked to me like he was clearly going to be better than Bryce Young. I just didn't see what the hype was about. 

And at least for the first few games it looks like what I thought was right. 

I wasn't really on the Stroud bandwagon, though I did have him over Bryce simply because of Bryce's size..... We obviously have a very long time to go on their evaluations, but yeah the early returns are pretty catastrophic for Carolina in particular (since they gave up next year's first, and DJ Moore to go up and get Bryce), but also potentially Chicago (who I'm sure would rather have the QB question finally answered if they could).... Happy Houston seems to have found someone with promise, they've had a rough go of it lately, and we'll see how  Stroud develops going forward. If this is really him at his worst, then Houston could be a very serious team in the coming years.

• Like 2

Texans are projected to have the 2nd highest cap space total in 2024. They need to make some huge splashes in FA to protect Stroud, and get some high profile defenders to come to Houston. At least for Texans fans this year Stroud can make watching the games worth the 3 hours if he continues to play like he did against the Colts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Texans are projected to have the 2nd highest cap space total in 2024. They need to make some huge splashes in FA to protect Stroud, and get some high profile defenders to come to Houston. At least for Texans fans this year Stroud can make watching the games worth the 3 hours if he continues to play like he did against the Colts. 

Especially with them not having their first rounder, which is likely to be a top 3-5 pick. They need to spend big on free agency. If possible, getting Higgins would be huge for Stroud. Keep improving the OL and building from the trenches. Ryans will get that defense right eventually. Could be some exciting times for Texans fans! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Texans are projected to have the 2nd highest cap space total in 2024. They need to make some huge splashes in FA to protect Stroud, and get some high profile defenders to come to Houston.

I *think* the OL situation will work itself out. Both Tytus Howard and Juice Scruggs are slated to return in a few weeks, and Laremy Tunsil should be back vs Jacksonville. An unintended development from this rash of injuries is that rookie C Jarrett Patterson is actually pretty good - not gonna overpower guys, but he’s competent and smart in pass pro. I ultimately think Patterson stays at C and the physically gifted Scruggs plays at LG, that should be a solid lineup on that side of the OL.

Defensively, I agree - improvement is necessary, and the spot of need is IDL. A gap penetrating DT would do wonders for this team, and if Chris Jones, Christian Wilkins or Leonard Williams hits the market, the Texans need to invest a LOT of money to bring them in.

• Like 3

I like CJ Stroud and him having a better career than Bryce would not surprise me.

But what were his numbers before the Colts had a 28-10 lead?  What were his numbers before the Ravens had a 22-6 lead?

Are we saying he looks better because he actually looks better, or are we saying he looks better because he's been yeeting the ball against teams who are defending a huge lead?  I'm not trying to put Stroud down either.  I haven't watched the Texans play yet this year or any Stroud clips, so I don't doubt he's looked impressive.  My point is context is needed.  The two have been in completely different situations to start the season.  Considering both their teams are 29th and 30th in scoring respectively, I don't really think you can say one has been "better" than the other.  

EDIT - Just to include some numbers, 425 of Stroud's 626 passing yards have come in the 2nd half.  He goes from 60% to 66% in the 2nd half.  QB Rating jumps nearly 10 points in the 2nd half.  His Y/A goes from 5.7 to 7.6 in the 2nd half.  Not trying to be critical of Stroud, because everything I am saying about Young, rings true of Stroud.  But you just can't really compare them 2 weeks in.  They have been in two different situations in the 2nd half of their games.

Bryce looks fine to me.  Has he missed some throws?  Yea.  Has he made mistakes?  Yea.  But that is not unusual for the No. 1 Overall Pick.  You see the play-making ability.  You see his ability to read and process the field fast.  You see the ability to make throws off platform.  He still shows all the traits that got him taken high and that is what matters.  The offense is just bad (Miles Sanders went from being the 4th best player on an offense to the 1st) and he had 2 close-games against divisional opponents.  It was the same thing with Trevor Lawrence in his rookie season.  And no, I am not saying Bryce is as good as Trevor Lawrence.  But mistakes are expected.  What matters is if they still show the same traits that got them drafted No. 1 in the first place.  To me Bryce has and I feel confident in time that he will live up to the No. 1 pick.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Joe Burrow already ended it. 

Meh. I know he was a back up there but he never even started a game for OSU IIRC.

That's like the Gators getting credit for having Heisman players who played for them with Cam Newton. Yeah, he was a Gator for two years but only part of his college career that was actually significant was at Auburn. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I like CJ Stroud and him having a better career than Bryce would not surprise me.

But what were his numbers before the Colts had a 28-10 lead?  What were his numbers before the Ravens had a 22-6 lead?

Are we saying he looks better because he actually looks better, or are we saying he looks better because he's been yeeting the ball against teams who are defending a huge lead?  I'm not trying to put Stroud down either.  I haven't watched the Texans play yet this year or any Stroud clips, so I don't doubt he's looked impressive.  My point is context is needed.  The two have been in completely different situations to start the season.  Considering both their teams are 29th and 30th in scoring respectively, I don't really think you can say one has been "better" than the other.  

EDIT - Just to include some numbers, 425 of Stroud's 626 passing yards have come in the 2nd half.  He goes from 60% to 66% in the 2nd half.  QB Rating jumps nearly 10 points in the 2nd half.  His Y/A goes from 5.7 to 7.6 in the 2nd half.  Not trying to be critical of Stroud, because everything I am saying about Young, rings true of Stroud.  But you just can't really compare them 2 weeks in.  They have been in two different situations in the 2nd half of their games.

Bryce looks fine to me.  Has he missed some throws?  Yea.  Has he made mistakes?  Yea.  But that is not unusual for the No. 1 Overall Pick.  You see the play-making ability.  You see his ability to read and process the field fast.  You see the ability to make throws off platform.  He still shows all the traits that got him taken high and that is what matters.  The offense is just bad (Miles Sanders went from being the 4th best player on an offense to the 1st) and he had 2 close-games against divisional opponents.  It was the same thing with Trevor Lawrence in his rookie season.  And no, I am not saying Bryce is as good as Trevor Lawrence.  But mistakes are expected.  What matters is if they still show the same traits that got them drafted No. 1 in the first place.  To me Bryce has and I feel confident in time that he will live up to the No. 1 pick.  

I also like to add in how very young and inexperienced the Colts secondary is. Kenny Moore is the oldest player and he’s only 28. It’s definitely the weakest unit on that defense. I still gotta give CJ credit for continuing to play and not being rattled.

Edited by Blackstar12