GDT: Denver at Miami

AnAngryAmerican

Have been busy but able to catch all 3 games.  Defense is an absolute joke.  Offensively I get some of the statistics look good in terms of scores per possession and it’s improved from last year, but that offense doesn’t scare anybody.

While the efficiency of the offense seems good, I’d argue it has a long way to go.  Lot of snaps coming with 1 second left on the play clock, Russ changing plays late and having to hurry up.  

For me the most impressive part of the season so far has been Marvin Mims.  He was brought in to be a playmaker and fill that need and he’s done exactly that. 

• Like 1

When you get beat 70-20 there’s obviously some bad luck and bad day things that happen, but also you’re just a poorly coached team from top to bottom.  Joseph deservedly should go, but Sean Payton has sucked as well and in my opinion that loss is more of a reflection on Payton than anyone.   Based on interviews and social media posts from players he’s already lost the locker room.  

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

When you get beat 70-20 there’s obviously some bad luck and bad day things that happen, but also you’re just a poorly coached team from top to bottom.  Joseph deservedly should go, but Sean Payton has sucked as well and in my opinion that loss is more of a reflection on Payton than anyone.   Based on interviews and social media posts from players he’s already lost the locker room.  

Is it possible to lose a locker room of a bunch of career losers? Other than Frank Clark and Russ have any players done **** in their careers to be judged as anything other than losers?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Is it possible to lose a locker room of a bunch of career losers? Other than Frank Clark and Russ have any players done **** in their careers to be judged as anything other than losers?

Doesn’t matter.  With salary cap restrictions and trading away 2 draft classes for Wilson and Payton you’re playing with what you have.  This is on Sean Payton. 

Thought about this a lot today. Vance Joseph sucks, but it’s not like Ejiro Evero has been lighting the world on fire in Carolina. We downgraded at coordinator, but not like *this*, you know? I’d argue that the offence looking as functional as they’ve been in 6-7 years has forced teams to turn it up a notch, and our D hasn’t even folded, they’ve straight up packed up the tent and moved out. 

One more thing, I’ve said for a couple years: if my life was on the line and my team had to score a TD on a single drive, I want Mike McDaniel calling the plays. He’s the best in the game right now. 

18 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Thought about this a lot today. Vance Joseph sucks, but it’s not like Ejiro Evero has been lighting the world on fire in Carolina. We downgraded at coordinator, but not like *this*, you know? I’d argue that the offence looking as functional as they’ve been in 6-7 years has forced teams to turn it up a notch, and our D hasn’t even folded, they’ve straight up packed up the tent and moved out. 

One more thing, I’ve said for a couple years: if my life was on the line and my team had to score a TD on a single drive, I want Mike McDaniel calling the plays. He’s the best in the game right now. 

What’s crazy is the last 6-7 years it was the defense that has kept this franchise competitive.  No doubt Joseph has sucked, but it’s more than that.

Multiple drafts were traded for Wilson and Payton.  Ultimately for me it all falls on Payton as it’s his job to bring it together and the reality is he’s calling the shots.  Today is on Sean Payton.   Tomorrow and on is as well.  He’s gotta get it right in terms of hiring his assistants, making the offense more than what I consider an inflated functional and not losing the locker room.  That’s an HCs job. 

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

They should fire VJ I guess but can you really fire someone 3 weeks into the season? Really just would speak to extreme incompetence by the organization and ppl that hired him lol wild situation 

But if you don’t do something what does it say? Fan base is one thing but to the locker room? Fair or not someone’s head has to roll for a 0-3 start and allowing 70 points.

It’s embarrassing when an NAIA school lets Alabama score 70. In the NFL, I don’t have words. Even the national (corporate/NFL dependent) media isn’t even talking about it as much as they could be because it makes the entire league look bad. 

The one PR bullet they might have - if they don’t just fire Vance - is for the Walmarts to come out, Greg Penner most likely, and make a statement before the cameras - not having Patrick Smyth write a press release or “leak” something to Klis about a closed door meeting or something. But get his *** in front of the cameras and take some questions and make a point it won’t stand or changes will be made.

The Walmarts might be new to this but the fans aren’t. We’ve gone from disappointing to bad to embarrassing and the apathy is setting in. New Jumbotrons and $5 hot dogs won’t save this ship. 

If I don’t get something major tomorrow from them, I’m taking a step back until I see some changes.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

34 minutes ago, germ-x said:

What’s crazy is the last 6-7 years it was the defense that has kept this franchise competitive.  No doubt Joseph has sucked, but it’s more than that.

Multiple drafts were traded for Wilson and Payton.  Ultimately for me it all falls on Payton as it’s his job to bring it together and the reality is he’s calling the shots.  Today is on Sean Payton.   Tomorrow and on is as well.  He’s gotta get it right in terms of hiring his assistants, making the offense more than what I consider an inflated functional and not losing the locker room.  That’s an HCs job. 

I do wonder what the coordinator hire conversations were like. Sean got hired a little later than normal, and if the rumour that his first choice for DC was Vic, what were his options when that wasn’t an option? 

My initial reaction to ‘today is on Sean Payton’ is to say that he’s not responsible for all the picks we gave up for a coach and a below average QB. He’s at a talent disadvantage that is out of his control. But. The defence quit. They quit. And players don’t do that if they believe in their coaching staff. Did they give up on Vance, or did they give up on Sean? 

You know it's interesting. When Deion Sanders came to CU, the first thing he did when he addressed the team was run half of them off. Basically said, you went 1-11 last year. Most of you aren't good enough to play for me, so get out. I need the room for players that want to be here. And he took a lot of heat for that at the time. But I think he knew something that a lot of people don't acknowledge enough. The truth is, once you allow a losing culture to truly infect your locker room, right down to the studs in the floor.. it becomes generational. And the only way to get rid of that toxicity is to blow it up and run it completely out of your building. Down to the last man. What sucks is that it's hard to do that in the NFL. There is no transfer portal. You can't just recruit the players you want every single year. But it needs to be done somehow. I'm sorry, bad DC or not, there is no excuse for a PROFESSIONAL football team to give up 70 god damn points. There is a serious problem that has grown in that locker room over the last decade, and if Payton wants to fix it, he's gonna have to blow this team completely up and rebuilt it from scratch. If I was him, I would trade every last "playmaker" on this team with the exception of PS2. F*** it, roll with backups. At least you know they'll play hard. Load up for next year's draft and build this team correctly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Agreed. Sean Payton is a Super Bowl winning coach with 9 double digit win seasons under his belt and a career win percentage of 63%. If he's lost the locker room, then that locker room doesn't deserve to be there.

52 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

You know it's interesting. When Deion Sanders came to CU, the first thing he did when he addressed the team was run half of them off. Basically said, you went 1-11 last year. Most of you aren't good enough to play for me, so get out. I need the room for players that want to be here. And he took a lot of heat for that at the time. But I think he knew something that a lot of people don't acknowledge enough. The truth is, once you allow a losing culture to truly infect your locker room, right down to the studs in the floor.. it becomes generational. And the only way to get rid of that toxicity is to blow it up and run it completely out of your building. Down to the last man. What sucks is that it's hard to do that in the NFL. There is no transfer portal. You can't just recruit the players you want every single year. But it needs to be done somehow. I'm sorry, bad DC or not, there is no excuse for a PROFESSIONAL football team to give up 70 god damn points. There is a serious problem that has grown in that locker room over the last decade, and if Payton wants to fix it, he's gonna have to blow this team completely up and rebuilt it from scratch. If I was him, I would trade every last "playmaker" on this team with the exception of PS2. F*** it, roll with backups. At least you know they'll play hard. Load up for next year's draft and build this team correctly.

This team is currently $30M over the cap for next season. In the most basic concept, management has two options to fix that problem: trade/cut a bunch of vets, or restructure some major contracts and double down on this roster. Option #2 is completely untenable after today. Trades of Jeudy, Sutton, and Simmons should net us, what, 2nd rounders across the board? While also freeing up salaries of $13M, 14.5M, and 14.5M, respectively. Cut Bolles in January to save $16M more, and hope that’s enough to start healing the locker room. 

And honestly, put Surtain’s name out there, too. I don’t trust his dad. 

I think it’s safe to say Fangio was holding the defense together while the SB50 group left the building and perception of the defense’s talent was always a little off. I also think on paper this should at worst be an average NFL defense. We don’t have a blue chip player in the front 7 and that limits the ceiling. But this is not a group that looks like it should ever give up 70. It blows my mind. It’s been 6 consecutive quarters of the worst defense I’ve ever seen. They finally shut down Josh Jacobs after five years a couple weeks ago and haven’t stopped a run since. 

There’s no way it should be this bad. For whatever reason the bottom has completely fallen out.