Maxmw22's First Mock Offseason

Maxmw22

I tried to make this somewhat believable as I left enough cap room to sign rookies, make signings/draft both of what I want, and what I think could happen. I realize not everyone will like my QB choice, and I also realize that my main roster is 5 people short, I left that for UDFA or players to round out the roster for depth depending where they want it. Let me know what you guys think.

Cuts 

QB Tyrod Taylor – Taylor is due $18 mil next year, I believe the Bills think that is too much, so rather than renegotiate again, I believe they finally cut ties. The Bills will be on the hook for about $8mil worth of signing bonus left, but save $9.5 mil. (cap savings $9.5 mil)

OLB/DE Jerry Hughes (post june 1st). Cutting Hughes after June 1st sends half of his dead money ($5.8 mil) to the 2019 cap. The Bills have struggled along the DL all year, but Hughes being the highest paid makes him the closest out the door. (Cap Savings $7.5 mil)

Trade

OT Cordy Glenn to Chicago Bears for 3rd round pick.

-We eat the signing bonus for Cordy, but ultimately save $5 mil in cap, while the Bears get Glenn for roughly 3 years $30 mil and help Trubisky stay upright.

Cap Room Before Cuts/Trades - $32mil

Cap Room After Cuts/Trades - $54 mil

Re-Sign

CB E.J. Gaines, 3 years, $27 mil– A reputable site has his market value at $9 mil a year comparable to such CB’s like Prince Amukamara and Dre Kirkpatrick. Both Gaines and White will make a nice starting duo (structured 8, 9, 10mil)

DT Kyle Williams, 2 Years, $13 mil – Player option for the 2nd year in case he wants to retire. (structured 6, 7 mil)

WR Deonte Thompson 3 years $6.5mil – Thompson has been taken targets from Matthews and could be the speed guy to take the top off for Buffalo allowing Zay Jones to play more in the slot. He should also come relatively cheap (structured 2, 2, 2.5mil)

SS Shamarko Thomas 1 year $1mil – non-guaranteed, just depth

Cap Room Before resign: $54 mil

Cap Room after resign: $37 mil

Free Agents

QB Chad Henne, 2 years $7 mil – A veteran backup for the incumbent rookie QB we know is coming. (Structured 3,4 mil)

RB Jeremy Hill, 3 years $6mil – Joe Mixon and Gio are getting more playing time than Hill, he could revive his #2 RB duties with Buffalo (structured 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 mil)

WR Cody Latimer, 3 years $9mil – will battle for #3/#4 duties. (Structured 2.5, 3.0, 3.5)

DT Star Lotulelei, 5 years $52 mil – This will be our big UFA signing, fits McDermott’s pattern of signing former Panther players, and hopefully this will help our atrocious DL (Structured 9, 10, 10, 11, 12)

DE Jarvis Jenkins, 1 year $1 mil – Pass rush rotation

CB Davon House – 2 years $5mil – Brought over to be our #3 CB (Structured 2,3 mil)

MLB Mason Foster – 1 year $1.5 mil – veteran MLB to help out a rookie we draft.

S Rafael Bush – 1 year $1.5 mil – veteran FS

Cap Before Free Agency $37 mil

Cap After Free Agency $15 mil

Draft Picks:

1st DT Da’Ron Payne, Alabama

1st (KC) – QB Josh Allen, Wyoming

2nd - DE Austin Bryant, Clemson

2nd (LAR) – TE Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin

3rd (Chi) – ILB Josey Jewell, Iowa

3rd (Phil) – OLB James Hearns, Louisville

4th CB DeAndre Baker, Georgia

5th RB Bo Scarborough, Alabama

Roster

QB:  Josh Allen, Chad Henne, Nathan Peterman

RB: Lesean McCoy, Jeremy Hill, Bo Scarborough

FB: Patrick DiMarco

WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Cody Latimer, Deonte Thompson, Andre Holmes

TE: Charles Clay, Troy Fumagalli, Khari Lee,

OT: Dion Dawkins, Jordan Mills,

OG: Richie Incognito, Vladimir Ducasse, John Miller,

C: Eric Wood, Ryan Groy

DE: Shaq Lawson, Austin Bryant, Jarvis Jenkins, Ryan Davis

DT:  Star Lotulelei, Kyle Williams, Da’Ron Payne, Adolphus Washington,

OLB: Lorenzo Alexander, James Hearns, Matt Milano, Tanner Vallejo,

MLB: Josey Jewell, Mason Foster

CB: Tre'Davious White, E.J. Gaines, Davon House, DeAndre Baker

FS: Jordan Poyer, Rafael Bush

SS: Michah Hyde, Shamarko Thomas

LS: Reid Ferguson

K: Steven Hauschka

P: Colton Schmidt

I certainly don't hate it but I don't love it either. 

I do like (and expect) the Bills to sign Lotulelei and drafting two other DL makes sense as Bean likes to build up the trenches. My main concern is the lack of change on the OL. I don't mind the Glenn trade because his injuries are just ridiculous. But we have to upgrade the right side otherwise it won't matter what rookie QB we put back there, they'll be destroyed.

I also love Josey Jewell.

Few things here. Firstly... I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate Allen. Did I mention I hate Allen? He is all projections and taking a risk that big likely won't pan out. If we take a risk like that I expect to have a much better backup than Chad Henne.

Secondly Mark Andrew would be a much better selection in that range than Trey. Also what do you have happening with Nick O'Leary. Cutting him to keep Lee? I don't see that happening.

Next would probably be Linebacker situation. Feel like it makes us worst. You still have our worst linebacker starting in Alexander and you surrounded him with a 3rd round rookie and a 4th round rookie. We would be torn up if we head into the season with those starting 3.

We did nothing with our offensive line. Vlad is still starting at RG? John Miller... There is no way he makes the team next year. This coaching staff does not like him. He has been a healthy scratch for how long now? And you only have us heading into the season with 2 OTs. That is not happening in a million years. One injury away from having to move Ducasse to tackle. That's no good.

Lastly after adding Hill in free agency Bo kinda seems like a wasted pick with us not having any OLine depth. Like the player but there is much more urgent depth needs than a #3 RB.

Hate to tear your entire mock up. There are some nice moves. I do like adding Mason and Star. Also like Payne. With adding Star and Payne I'd almost let Kyle Williams walk or retire and use that cash for a starting SLB and start Milano at WLB. That just leaves starting a rookie at MLB

First of all I give you a Ton of credit for doing a Mock offseason and draft I love reading them and I've tried them in the past and they are very hard to do.  So thank you for trying but I have a couple of problems I'd like to address first I hate Josh Allen I'd rather have Mayfield or Rudoplh with that pick.  Second I love us taken Bryant in the draft personally I don't think he falls to the 2nd round but I'd love him on the Bills.  My main concern is with the O line I can't see us going into next season with the same OL as we have now.   I love trading Glenn and I understand we aren't going to get back a ton of value because of his injuries.  I personally would like to add 2 draft picks to our OL.  I like Miller I hope he can continue with the Buffalo Bills as he was good last year.  But keep up with the Mocks I love them.  

20 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Few things here. Firstly... I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate Allen. Did I mention I hate Allen? He is all projections and taking a risk that big likely won't pan out. If we take a risk like that I expect to have a much better backup than Chad Henne.

Secondly Mark Andrew would be a much better selection in that range than Trey. Also what do you have happening with Nick O'Leary. Cutting him to keep Lee? I don't see that happening.

Next would probably be Linebacker situation. Feel like it makes us worst. You still have our worst linebacker starting in Alexander and you surrounded him with a 3rd round rookie and a 4th round rookie. We would be torn up if we head into the season with those starting 3.

We did nothing with our offensive line. Vlad is still starting at RG? John Miller... There is no way he makes the team next year. This coaching staff does not like him. He has been a healthy scratch for how long now? And you only have us heading into the season with 2 OTs. That is not happening in a million years. One injury away from having to move Ducasse to tackle. That's no good.

Lastly after adding Hill in free agency Bo kinda seems like a wasted pick with us not having any OLine depth. Like the player but there is much more urgent depth needs than a #3 RB.

Hate to tear your entire mock up. There are some nice moves. I do like adding Mason and Star. Also like Payne. With adding Star and Payne I'd almost let Kyle Williams walk or retire and use that cash for a starting SLB and start Milano at WLB. That just leaves starting a rookie at MLB

Don't worry about it, that is why we do these things, for fun. I can honestly say I had no idea where I wanted to go with this until I started looking at the financials of things. For me, I don't think everything could be fixed in one offseason, which is why I ignored the OL, I figured that would be more of a 2019 fix.

In reality, I see a lot of holes that will need to filled somehow, and I am not sure how they are going to do it. $32 mil cap free with no cuts, 3 DB's under contract, Kyle Williams, E.J. Gaines, Jordan Matthews and Preston Brown all free agents. It might be a tough offeason for Buffalo.

It'll be interesting to see where money is spent, if we cut Tyrod (which I think is almost a forgone conclusion) we will have around $42 mil in cap space. Will Buffalo dump it on a QB like Cousins? Will they build the OL? DL? LB corp? I don't think they can get everything, maybe they just get a little help in each area. With no real reference for this front office, I think this offseason will be the hardest predict.

21 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I forgot to ask, do you seem any coaching changes? I personally would be shocked if we kept Dennison. 

There's already rumours swirling that Mike McCoy spent time in Buffalo last weekend. I also think Kevin Stefanski would be a great choice for OC

I personally don't see it. Dennison is up and down with his play calling. However he did see Tyrods problem in anticipation. He worked with him all off-season long at it. Tyrod just seems not to be able to improve on it even after working at it all season.

One year considering what he had to work with I just don't see it happening this soon. We really need to stop making coaching changes so soon and let the new regime get to work. Learning a whole new playbook every year is one reason for our inability to have a good season. We stuck it out with Marrone and Hackett despite the struggles of Hackett his first year... They had us a borderline playoff team. And we are on pace to have a better first year than those two.

Although a guy to keep an eye on if Dennison is indeed let go is Rob Chudzinski. Worked with Sean at Carolina. They are really good friends. He is current OC of Colts making the best of a bad situation with Brissett as your QB. With Chuck Pagano likely fired... Rob is going to be looking for a job.

3 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I personally don't see it. Dennison is up and down with his play calling. However he did see Tyrods problem in anticipation. He worked with him all off-season long at it. Tyrod just seems not to be able to improve on it even after working at it all season.

One year considering what he had to work with I just don't see it happening this soon. We really need to stop making coaching changes so soon and let the new regime get to work. Learning a whole new playbook every year is one reason for our inability to have a good season. We stuck it out with Marrone and Hackett despite the struggles of Hackett his first year... They had us a borderline playoff team. And we are on pace to have a better first year than those two.

Although a guy to keep an eye on if Dennison is indeed let go is Rob Chudzinski. Worked with Sean at Carolina. They are really good friends. He is current OC of Colts making the best of a bad situation with Brissett as your QB. With Chuck Pagano likely fired... Rob is going to be looking for a job.

This. And honestly this makes sense with a QB change and a veteran RB, who's likely on his last legs. Frankly, what Chud has done with the Colts offense has impressed me given the personnel. It's really more of an issue with a horrendous defense for that team. I see a shootout coming tomorrow as I think Chud's offense will pick us apart in the passing game and they are so bad vs. the pass, that I think even Taylor could have a 300 yd game against them if he starts.

5 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

All the systems are the same outside of terminology and pretty minor add ons of plays etc.

With a new QB coming in I want a competent OC who will be here for the long haul. I'd rather change OC after one season then have a rookie QB ruined by having Dennison and then someone else a year or two later. 

1 hour ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Allen available at the KC pick? Last time I checked the KC pick wasnt in the top 10, that is where he is going, whether he merits or not.

Well I doubt it's top 10 the way the chiefs are playing and looking at their schedule. Wouldn't surprise me to see them only gain one more win between Dolphins and broncos.

And I personally think Allen falls. Production and injury concerns

11 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Allen available at the KC pick? Last time I checked the KC pick wasnt in the top 10, that is where he is going, whether he merits or not.

Lol what ? There are some elite prospects at other positions that will go early. Rosen and Darnold in top 3 is a given but a couple of Allen, Rudolph, Mayfield or Jackson will drop 

7 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Lol what ? There are some elite prospects at other positions that will go early. Rosen and Darnold in top 3 is a given but a couple of Allen, Rudolph, Mayfield or Jackson will drop 

QBs very rarely if ever drop in round 1. Especially in a season with so many teams wanting them

14 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

QBs very rarely if ever drop in round 1. Especially in a season with so many teams wanting them

I don't think you can say QB's. You can say top 10 projected QB's, but there have been plenty of 1st rd prospect QB's to fall to the bottom of the 1st. While I agree there are plenty of teams possibly looking for a QB in this draft, I think that could be offset by potentially having six round 1 QB's going. As of right now, today, I think Rosen/Darnold go top 5, Lamar Jackson goes top 15, and the combination of Mayfield, Allen, and Rudolph all go between 16-32.

I am one of the few who like Josh Allen (And I hate aligning any view with Mel Kiper, it's like saying you enjoy Nickelback), but a lackluster year + shoulder injury right now could cause him to drop. He could improve stock at the combine, but as of right now, I see Allen being the 4th/5th QB taken in the 1st rd.

Archived