Rank or tier winless teams by level of concern

notthatbluestuff

Arizona Cardinals- This is what they wanted anyways

Houston Texans- Rebuilding with a new head coach and rookie QB who looks promising so far
Carolina Panthers- Rebuilding with a new head coach and rookie QB who looks promising so far

Denver Broncos- Wilson looks much better than he did last year, and the team has been competitive even if they've coughed up two fourth quarter leads

New England Patriots- Another year of stagnation looks likely
Minnesota Vikings- A year of regression after the improbable 2022 season looks likely

Cincinnati Bengals- Entered the season with Super Bowl aspirations but not falling behind in the division with their franchise QB nursing an injury

Chicago Bears- Everything's falling apart, but at least they might get Williams

LA Chargers- At this rate Staley might not make it to mid-season

In terms of actual team strength:
Still Super Bowl contenders for now:
Cincinnati Bengals

Can still make the playoffs:
LA Chargers
Minnesota Vikings

Would be surprised if they made the playoffs:
New England Patriots
Denver Broncos

Might be giving the last two teams another top 5 pick:
Carolina Panthers
Houston Texans

Caleb Williams sweepstakes:
Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bears

Chicago Bears  -  Just big yikes.  They're awful, but i don't even really see any "building blocks" for the future.  They look like they're at the start of a very long, very painful rebuild.  They've got draft capital to work with, but other than that...lol.

Minnesota Vikings - Concerning because they're not a team that can afford to be dropping close games.  I think they're a lot better than an 0-2 record indicates, but they're also not a good enough team to dig out of an early hole very easily.

Denver Broncos - There have been flashes of looking like maybe they could do something, but like the Vikings, i just don't think they're a good enough team to dig their way out of a big early hole.  

LA Chargers - Certainly concerning that they can't seem to close out wins they should be getting with their raw talent level.  Helped a little bit by their division being somewhat open for the taking.  The Raiders don't scare nobody, and the Broncos have obviously got off to a similarly terrible start.  Chiefs eventually rise to the top, but there's enough room to gain ground if they can get their **** together.

New England Patriots - Kind of don't know what they're really doing at this point.  They're 0-2 but kind of locked into what they're doing with no real hope for major improvement on the horizon.  Seems like they're just stuck in middling purgatory.  That's never great.

Houston Texans - Concerns about where they're at.  But whatever.  They're clearly in a rebuild.  Not sure 0-2 should come as a surprise to anyone.  Biggest concern is just how good a pick they're potentially giving up.

Cincinnati Bengals - Not really too worried about them.  Assuming they haven't rushed him back too soon and he can get the time he needs to get healthy, Burrow will carry them back to the good.  Not an inspiring start though.

Arizona Cardinals - Total trainwreck, but kind of by design.  Not really concerned so much as just accepting that they've got a long road back to any relevance ahead of them.

Carolina Panthers - They're probably fine.  Their new QB looking a bit overwhelmed and lost is concerning, but they have some pieces in place and are clearly still early in the process of turning things around.  0-2 is probably to be expected, and probably not going to win a ton of games overall in the next couple years.

Edited by Tugboat

The Cards, Bears, and Vikings are actually all in good shape. The reason why is the Cards and Bears will both have top picks plus they own picks from teams that will have top picks too. They can simply just draft Williams and Maye then go after Harrison Jr. the receiver and possibly the top OT. While moving off of Murray and Fields and I think getting decent value. The Vikings if they continue to lose could just trade Cousins and tank to try to get the top pick to get Williams. If not the draft class is loaded where they could trade down get a bunch of assets go get a Penix Jr. and other pieces to help start to rebuild the team.

The Chargers, Broncos, Patriots, and Bengals all should be concerned. The Chargers bc Staley isnt getting it done in a city where the Rams already won a Superbowl and having more success this season with a supposedly "young rebuilding team". So if the Chargers want to at least have some recognition at least in LA they need to start winning. They ended last season blowing a huge lead in the playoffs and now they start the season off winless even though they have a talented roster with a QB who statistically has played flawless. So Staley could be fired and its not easy to find a great coach. The Broncos bc they got the coach but the QB is highly paid and is a shell of himself. So we know Payton is not going to put up with Russ very long but the contract is so big its going to be interesting to see how they play things. Bench Russ, play the backup and hope for the best. But what happens next season and the season afterwards? The Patriots bc they have no juice to the offense and Jones just isnt the guy that can make players around him better. Ive said that the Pats need to go get Jones some elite weapons bc if not he cant carry the team and as a result I can see them moving on from him eventually. Now Belichick will be looking for another QB. And we know Brady isnt walking through that door again. Finally the Bengals. I know everyone is saying the Bengals is fine. I dont think so. Burrow is hurt and they have played this so terribly wrong. They need to put him on IR for the next 4 weeks. If not the worse case scenario is he could end up like ARod and hurt his Achilles. Then that will effect the team not just this season but early next season. So if they sit him and rest him then we know the Bengals season is over. No way the Bengals will win enough games while Burrow is out to make the playoffs. Now next season a healthy Burrow the Bengals will be back but it will depend on how they play this. Either way the Bengals at least for this season is screwed and if they play it the wrong way they could be screwed for next season too.

The Texans and Panthers shouldnt worry bc they have rookie QBs and its going to be about just them learning and trying to get better with each snap all the while the team need to continue to put the right structure around them to help them succeed. So Ill say check back in a few years to see where these rookie QBs and their team is at and Ill tell you whether or not they should be concerned or not. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

The Cards, Bears, and Vikings are actually all in good shape. The reason why is the Cards and Bears will both have top picks plus they own picks from teams that will have top picks too. They can simply just draft Williams and Maye then go after Harrison Jr. the receiver and possibly the top OT. While moving off of Murray and Fields and I think getting decent value.

I have major problems with this. Simply having top picks isn't enough, if it were bad teams would turn things around way more often. You have to have a front office that knows how to use those picks AND a coaching staff that can develop those players properly. Why does everyone act like these prospects are such sure things months and months before the draft? The Cardinals took Kyler Murray first overall just 4 years ago, they were supposed to have a bright future with their new shiny QB; now they're in the same position they were in and you think Williams or Maye will save them this time? And how are the Bears in good shape? Their team is a mess, their coaching staff is a mess, their organization is a mess, nothing about them is in good shape in any possible way. A couple of highly-rated college players won't change that.

Edited by notthatbluestuff
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I have major problems with this. Simply having top picks isn't enough, if it were bad teams would turn things around way more often. You have to have a front office that knows how to use those picks AND a coaching staff that can develop those players properly. Why does everyone act like these prospects are such sure things months and months before the draft? The Cardinals took Kyler Murray first overall just 4 years ago, they were supposed to have a bright future with their new shiny QB; now they're in the same position they were in and you think Williams or Maye will save them this time? And how are the Bears in good shape? Their team is a mess, their coaching staff is a mess, their organization is a mess, nothing about them is in good shape in any possible way.

You are right. The HOPE is that you can’t mess up getting Williams plus Harrison Jr. If you have the 1st and 2nd overall picks if you are the Cards. Then if you are the Bears getting Maye and the top LT in the draft at 3rd and 4th overall picks. Now all you need is to fix the front office and see if these coaches who didn’t draft Murray and Fields can get the new QBs in the right position to succeed. Meanwhile trying to get something for Murray and Fields in a trade to move forward.

But in theory you are right. Hard to trust the Cards and the Bears especially the Bears when they have shown no competent decision making. 

12 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

And how are the Bears in good shape? Their team is a mess, their coaching staff is a mess, their organization is a mess, nothing about them is in good shape in any possible way. A couple of highly-rated college players won't change that.

Not arguing/bashing, genuinely asking. 

Do you think Eberflus and Getsy make it through another season where they pick top 3? I'm not even sure the GM Poles survives that since he was inherited by the new CEO or Football Ops Kevin Warren. I'm not sure what freedoms Warren truly has but he supposedly has full control of all choices on the football side while Phillips moved over to the new stadium/business projects. With it not being his money I am pretty sure he would be more aggressive in his hirings. Hopefully he is smart enough to try and get a GM/HC combo that have connections and a similar vision, and the HC is an innovative offensive mind. 

I actually like the Cardinals situation a lot more than the Bears. I loved how Monti Ossenfort maneuvered this off-season with Arizona’s draft & trades while acknowledging they’re going through a clear rebuild. If they draft Caleb? Cool. If they trade back for a King’s Ransom(which I honestly believe would be the smarter decision) cool. 

Bears, OTOH, woof. Just total disaster all over. From overpaying non-premium positions to weird drafts. Just seems like turmoil all over the place. It seems like 100% MUST draft a QB because Fields has never been even a decent passer. At least with Kyler, he has shown great/even MVP-level play with his passing. Even if they draft Caleb, I think they’re so talent-deficient that they really won’t be true contenders until Caleb is due for pay-day.

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Not arguing/bashing, genuinely asking. 

Do you think Eberflus and Getsy make it through another season where they pick top 3? I'm not even sure the GM Poles survives that since he was inherited by the new CEO or Football Ops Kevin Warren. I'm not sure what freedoms Warren truly has but he supposedly has full control of all choices on the football side while Phillips moved over to the new stadium/business projects. With it not being his money I am pretty sure he would be more aggressive in his hirings. Hopefully he is smart enough to try and get a GM/HC combo that have connections and a similar vision, and the HC is an innovative offensive mind. 

If I had to choose whether or not I think the top brass would make a smart hire, well... we're talking about the Chicago Bears so I would guess not. Yes, it's new leadership, but simply being aggressive in your hiring search and getting a really good GM/HC combo is easier said than done. Ultimately, the Bears are in very bad shape and it'll take a lot of work and luck to change that.

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

If I had to choose whether or not I think the top brass would make a smart hire, well... we're talking about the Chicago Bears so I would guess not. Yes, it's new leadership, but simply being aggressive in your hiring search and getting a really good GM/HC combo is easier said than done. Ultimately, the Bears are in very bad shape and it'll take a lot of work and luck to change that.

I agree it isn't simple and there is a ton of work to do. I'm just saying those are key points for them to turn the franchise around. Phillips was a key reason for the ineptitude throughout the franchise, hopefully Warren changes that. It sure as hell isn't a one year turnaround or anything, but getting a franchise-level QB would be a MASSIVE boost for the Bears.