Mo gone after the year?

Akomplice

A team source told the New York Daily News that DE Muhammad Wilkerson is "gone" after this season.

Benched in the first quarter of last week's win over the Chiefs, Wilkerson has been habitually tardy to team meetings, underachieved on the field, and upset the New York media in addition to teammates. The Jets can release Wilkerson before his 2018 salary of $16.75 million becomes guaranteed in early March, which would cause a $9 million dead-money cap charge but save Gang Green $11 million underneath the cap. When deciding between keeping Sheldon Richardson and Wilkerson in 2016, the Jets chose the wrong guy. Richardson is now keying Seattle's elite run defense on a team with an 8-4 record.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/muhammad-wilkerson-future-jets-2017-article-1.3681773?utm_content=buffer27b7d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Imagine we cut Wilkerson and re-sign Sheldon, after getting a 2nd round pick and Jermaine Kearse for him? Now that would be a helluva move. 

Would be funny and I have absolutely defended Sheldon's character in comparison to Mo, but lets be honest, that line COMPLETELY underachieved. Never lived up to the hype and still isnt. We need to get pass rushers and stop investing in these 5-tech DEs that dont make nearly enough of an impact in the pass rushing game. 

I agree, just was throwing it out there haha. 

I think we'll avoid spending big on a 3-4 DE, instead using those resources on Leo's extension. I won't be surprised if we use Ealy/McLendon as a part of a committee to replace Wilkerson, and (hopefully) funnel our resources on an EDGE rusher. I don't think we'll sign one in FA, but fully anticipate Macc grabs one in Rounds 1-2. 

4 hours ago, Colt45fool said:

Good riddance. He's been cheeks since he got the new contract. 

Did Muhammad go Full Albert Haynesworth Mode after making the big score?

Couple of years ago that vaunted defensive line consisting of three mighty 5-tech DE's was considered the strength of the Jets!

Image result for Albert Haynesworth

It's sad  because Wilkerson looked like he was going to be a Jet great. I mean, we used to talk about him as a top 5 3-4 DE right below JJ Watt. :o What the hell happened?

This last missed meeting should be the straw the broke the camel's back. I've been against cutting Wilk, but we just need to move on. Cut Wilk, Sign Ealy, Draft an Edge player, use more of an even front and move on.

I was against this move earlier, mainly because I feel he is a key to the run defense. However, I think clearly the team wants to move on from him, so I am behind the decision. I don't think Kony Ealy can be a starting end in a 3-4 scheme, so Maccagnan will probably have to find a starter somewhere else. He has done well in finding the likes of Ealy, Claiborne, Davis so maybe he can find us another starting DE this off-season. Perhaps we can draft a guy in the third or fourth round to start opposite Williams.

I think the fact we are getting rid of all the locker room issues is bigger than any production we lose with Wilkerson (if any at all).

Archived