**RUMOR** - Dean Pees Retiring After Season?

Go_Ravens2

3 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Chuck Pagano or Teryl Austin for DC.

Gary Kubiak or college-level guy as OC.

Doubt Kubiak comes back for less than a HC job.If he even wants to come back. He’s a Super Bowl winner that didn’t get fired. That just doesn’t happen 

Austin. Idk if he even can just go to another team. Unless you’re assuming Caldwell gets fired. And I don’t see why he would. And Detroit’s defense isn’t that impressive anyway 

7 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’m not all that concerned about OC. I’m not a fan of Marty and if it was up to me I’d replace him. But I think if the OL stays healthy, whoever calls plays including Marty is going to do fine.

DC. My 1st choice is Pees. Our defense is awesome. We should get better because our young players will get better and we’ll draft more. And we’re going to get Young back. And in Onwhoever there’s room to upgrade at ILB. I don’t want to make any changes. IDK why even when we’re good everyone still wants him out 

I think everyone wants him out because he needs a stacked  defense to succeed. Just look at the talent on this defense right now, we are loaded, top 5 safety duo, top 5 CB duo, top 3 NT, Top 5 ILB, we are stacked across the defense, the only weakness I would say is Onwuasor and maybe the slot CB spot, but Canady has been looking good since he took over. Even with this type of talent, we're somehow still not a consistent defense week in and week out.  The last time we've truly had an 'elite' consistent and reliable defense was when Pagano was here.

6 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

I think everyone wants him out because he needs a stacked  defense to succeed. Just look at the talent on this defense right now, we are loaded, top 5 safety duo, top 5 CB duo, top 3 NT, Top 5 ILB, we are stacked across the defense, the only weakness I would say is Onwuasor and maybe the slot CB spot, but Canady has been looking good since he took over. Even with this type of talent, we're somehow still not a consistent defense week in and week out.  The last time we've truly had an 'elite' consistent and reliable defense was when Pagano was here.

And the thing we could see with Pagano was how he schemed for pressure and not in the gung ho way like Rex Ryan did sometimes.

When the analysists points towards Dean Pees elaborate scheme, and the analysists who actually watch the games calls it out as very vanilla, it pretty much confirms what we all watch every week.

9 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

Not that I’m a Dean Pees fan but to play devils advocate, our defense has pitched 3 shutouts this season. Even with a loaded defense, like the 06’ defense as an example... that’s incredibly hard to do and can’t be understated.

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not that I’m a Dean Pees fan but to play devils advocate, our defense has pitched 3 shutouts this season. Even with a loaded defense, like the 06’ defense as an example... that’s incredibly hard to do and can’t be understated.

Its a hell of a lot easier when you play so many rookies and back-ups ;)

Not saying that this is a bad defense, but to use "number of shutouts" as a way of comparing this defense to great defenses in the past is misleading imo

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

Its a hell of a lot easier when you play so many rookies and back-ups ;)

Not saying that this is a bad defense, but to use "number of shutouts" as a way of comparing this defense to great defenses in the past is misleading imo

Yeah our defense this year definitely deserves a lot of context surrounding it's "greatness". Detroit was our first quality performance against an actual QB in idk how long, and Stafford only had like 4 incompletions. Dean Pees definitely needs an insane amount of talent on his units in order to succeed.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Jim Leonhard is Wisconsin's DC. I doubt he leaves Wisconsin for a demotion.

Would taking an NFL position coach job be a demotion from a college DC, even if you're on the fast track to being an NFL DC? I don't know how well each job pays.

5 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Would taking an NFL position coach job be a demotion from a college DC, even if you're on the fast track to being an NFL DC? I don't know how well each job pays.

Yes. He's a highly regarded college coordinator. He's on the fast track already to be a college HC or a NFL DC. He's being paid around $600,000 per year right now and should get a raise soon.

53 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

And to be a counter devils advocate, he also didn't manage to adjust when Brandon Williams was down, he hasn't figured out to get pass rushers like Tim Williams and Bowser in the game and it took 10 games to adjust the safeties

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yes. He's a highly regarded college coordinator. He's on the fast track already to be a college HC or a NFL DC. He's being paid around $600,000 per year right now and should get a raise soon.

I haven't seen anything about how his defense performs, but he was doing so well as a player considered how limited an athlete he was. Really good football brain and played and carried himself with a lot of passion. One of my favorite ravens players despite his short stint with us.

This upcoming game against the Steeler's should tell us a lot. Both in regards to the playoff chances of this team, as well as the future of our coaching staff. If we win and actually make a deep run into the playoffs, then barring someone retiring, I don't see any major changes to our coaching staff. So, let's not get our hopes up on MM departing until there's clear evidence to indicate that it is a possibility.

I will echo what Db and Dtmb have said to some degree, results have been pretty good with the D this season.  Gotta give some credit where credit is due.  By numerous metrics, they have performed as one of the best defenses in the league.

That said, I would love to have Pagano back as the DC.  His lone year as the head guy saw Terrell Suggs win a DPotY award.  I really like what he could do with our secondary pieces as well.

Archived