Official Charlotte Hornets Thread: New Owners Who Dis?

Supersuavesky

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

19 gms in sitting at 11-8 and the 5th seed.  Most gms played in NBA and statistically toughest schedule so far and just started another stretch playing 15 of 21 gms on the road.   

Ball is borderline All-NBA and definite All-Star.  Bridges is playing for the All-Star roster and at least heading MIP lists.  Hayward is steady as they come. Rozier is just now rounding into form, bench players like Cody Martin have surprised with their improvement to JAG lvl and our centers are taking the world by storm…..just kidding….they’re a dumpster fire.   

Unique for a Hornets team to #1 legitimately be in contention for a top 6 Playoff spot and #2 have a deep enough team that two 1st rnd picks Bouknight and Kai Jones can’t even sniff minutes unless for the Greensboro Swarm.   

#Encouraged 

• 1 month later...

45 games in - 25-20 record - currently sitting 7th in East but just 4 gms out of 1st (not happening) 2 gms out of 4th and 1.5 out of 5th or 6th seed to be locked into playoffs without facing play-in game(s).     Hornets looking to be in a solid position to make a big run at that 5th/6th seed if not finishing even higher.   They've already played the most road games of any team in the NBA, having played 9 more games on the road than at home - setting up a very favorable last 37 gms of season.  They've also already gone on two extended West Coast trips and Covid has worked it's way through everyone on the team at this point (maybe with exception of Hayward?) so hopefully we can avoid the H&S protocols through remainder of year.   With Cody Martin, McDaniels, and Oubre all stepping up their play this year and PJ Washington at least providing solid contributions when healthy, they are deep and talented.    Bouknight is deserving of minutes but just can't break the 8-9 man rotation Borrego is sticking too and it's hard to find fault in that - JT Thor banging on that door too.

I'm concerned that Miles Bridges is 7th in the NBA in minutes/gm at 36.13 and Hayward is 38th at 33.18 -- that's entirely too many minutes for them.   Oubre is at 94th at 28.11 minutes and he and McDaniels could each alleviate some of the burden by a minute or two.    Even getting Bouknight or Thor a limited 4-5 minutes/game could alleviate the burden.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Supersuavesky said:

So Borrego is gone after not making the playoffs again. Surprising but I do understand it.

I still blame roster construction more than him. 

Roster certainly has its flaws, but you have to produce results. And even with deficiencies in rim protection, for example, I still feel the roster is good enough to have made the playoffs.  Despite improving by 10 games each of the past 2 seasons (23 wins to 33 wins to 43 wins), you simply can't get the doors blown off like they did in the play-in game two years in a row.  Sure, you could say to not put so much weight on only two games, but when the stakes are high you have to have your squad prepared for the game and make the necessary in-game moves to give the team a chance to win. And by losing by so much each time, it's clear he isn't that guy.  It's not good enough to mold a team into a borderline playoff team.  We need a guy who can get us over the hump and make us a consistent contender.  

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just re-posting some Draft thoughts here because I like to have a running conversation with myself in this obviously crowded room of Hornets fans:

Miller was my #3 prospect behind the obvious 2.   I absolutely preferred Scoot as at least on the offensive side he's a perfect fit with Melo and given Melo's injuries, he would have been great insurance.   And if we aren't making the Playoffs lets be super exciting not getting there.     However I truly saw Miller as 2b.  Those three were in a clear tier ahead of anyone else.   Miller is going to play the 2-4 over time and we desperately need dudes that can make buckets.   We have guys that can shoot but I only feel comfortable with Melo and now Miller actually making them.   Melo, Miller, Bridges and Mark Williams is a VERY solid core to build around

Nick Smith headlined my "please don't draft list" but at #27 he's worth the flyer.   I preferred others like Leonard Miller, Cidy Cissoko, Jordan Walsh but not banging the table for any of those dudes over Nick's potential either.   Nick just seems like a third swing at the Combo/SG like Malik Monk or James Bouknight but I thought more highly of those two coming out than Nick.

Nnaji is a tough one.   I see the potential and he's an obvious draft n stash.  He's not coming over to even our GLeague for a couple seasons.   Tough part is he's a C that can't play beyond 5' from the basket and made 44% of his FTs last year.  He attempted 2 jump shots last year!  We have Williams, Richards and Kai Jones already - not sure how many big, non-shooting C's we need --- they're not exactly the poster children for the NBA shooting bigs that are the trend these days.

Bailey's a good pick at #41.   He was everything in the NCAA Tourney that Miller was not.   Again would have preferred someone like Cissoko but he's got a lot of promise as a combo/3rd PG a couple years out.   

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Another season lost primarily to injuries. 

I personally think losing Mark for 30+ was more impactful than losing LaMelo. He hasn’t played since early December and the team was 7-12 when he went down. And most of those were without Bridges.

At the very least Brandon has been just as great as I expected. The comp I had for him personally was Tatum; a lot of the same concerns coming out.  The strength struggles are very real but other than that he’s far ahead of the curve as a lead scorer and already a premier 3pt shooter.

For all the legal issues Bridges is still a great talent as a forward and is a definite priority to keep in the offseason.