Move Bud Dupree to ILB

JLambert58

What if Bud moves to Mack LB and Chickillo starts at LOLB?  Let's face it, Bud's been just ok at OLB.  He might actually excel inside - I know he'd be a freight train hitting gaps and rushing & blitzing up the middle.  Chick has been very good *at times*  and yes mediocre for other big portions, but given the circumstances, is it time to try something different?

Watt has already done some moving around. He's a rookie, but that's the guy I'd look to, personally.

Harrison in at his spot to wind down the season with Watt at ILB in packages and Dupree on the other side.

I'm still thinking Shazier may be back this year, though.

EDIT: Saw the news of surgery now that he's back in Pittsburgh. For the short term, I think you have to rely on Harrison and Watt.

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't know how easy of a transition this would be. I would also like to give Dupree one more year to break out. His pass rushing potential is so dreamy. 

lol Yeah, but VW has 7 sacks from the inside so it doesn't mean that potential gets wasted.  

I might be wrong, but I thought it used to be said that all of the linebackers are groomed to play all 4 positions. (to a lesser extent, obviously) 

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Watt has already done some moving around. He's a rookie, but that's the guy I'd look to, personally.

Harrison in at his spot to wind down the season with Watt at ILB in packages and Dupree on the other side.

I'm still thinking Shazier may be back this year, though.

That's very optimistic.  I would bet against it.  Even if he gets a great medical diagnosis. 

Sure, Watt is versatile and could play it, but he's proving to be a solid commodity at OLB with a nose for the QB and also very capable in coverage.  I just think Bud's talent (size, speed, athleticism) might be better used inside.  Agree with more Harrison, but having him in there makes the D more predictable.  

Don’t move anyone. There’s nothing that’s going to take care of this right now. Option 1 in the offseason is draft someone. Option 2 is sign someone. Option 3 is trade for someone. Option 4/5/6 is try Fort, Mata, Someone on the PS. Option100 is try Dupree. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Don’t move anyone. There’s nothing that’s going to take care of this right now. Option 1 in the offseason is draft someone. Option 2 is sign someone. Option 3 is trade for someone. Option 4/5/6 is try Fort, Mata, Someone on the PS. Option100 is try Dupree. 

We're trying to win a Super Bowl here, so we need IMMEDIATE solutions.  Draft? nope.  Trade? nope  PS?  nope.  

16 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

We're trying to win a Super Bowl here, so we need IMMEDIATE solutions.  Draft? nope.  Trade? nope  PS?  nope.  

According to the depot, Moats is going to be starting next to Vince this week. Probably the best option right now. We'll see how quickly Spence gets ready or if he has anything left in the tank at all.

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

According to the depot, Moats is going to be starting next to Vince this week. Probably the best option right now. We'll see how quickly Spence gets ready or if he has anything left in the tank at all.

I like Moats moving.  He was always ok in converge, and would be better against the run being protected.

I think Moats will do just fine starting at ILB. He and Vince should be able to be fairly formidable run defenders. 3rd down becomes an issue now, though. I'd imagine we'll see a whole lot of the DIME package with Gay coming in. Can't have two coverage liabilities playing at ILB too often. I hope the Ravens don't exploit this by throwing out of heavy sets and if they do(which they will) hopefully Vince and Moats can at least slow down their TE's. Unfortunately Shazier's injury probably has dashed any chance our defense had at containing the Pats offense. Better hope Ben and co bring their big boy pants because we may need to score 40.

::EDIT:: Hopefully this also ends the whole "play Chick and Moats together at OLB so our defense can get gashed because these two guys have almost a 0% chance of even getting close to the QB" experience.

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Moats will do just fine starting at ILB. He and Vince should be able to be fairly formidable run defenders. 3rd down becomes an issue now, though. I'd imagine we'll see a whole lot of the DIME package with Gay coming in. Can't have two coverage liabilities playing at ILB too often. I hope the Ravens don't exploit this by throwing out of heavy sets and if they do(which they will) hopefully Vince and Moats can at least slow down their TE's. Unfortunately Shazier's injury probably has dashed any chance our defense had at containing the Pats offense. Better hope Ben and co bring their big boy pants because we may need to score 40.

Time for a Brian Allen coming out party?

Archived