Move Bud Dupree to ILB

JLambert58

59 minutes ago, Lambert44 said:

We have a month to figure it out. Win three games and clinch a bye.

I just do not want Chickolo starting, he has done nothing since the opener in Cleveland!

Surely Harrison is active this week. We can't give Chick more than a handful of snaps.

You could look at Dupree in the off-season there if you think you can replace him outside. If he can make the switch mentally, from a physical standpoint he could actually be more successful there, especially if you get him to shed a little weight. 

I'm sure some want Shazier back but I hope he never plays again; the spine is just too important. Let's say he does enough to try to play again; I'd hate to see him go out there after regaining the ability to be normal and permanently damage something. 

Dupree isnt that good.      I think he would be even worse as an ILB as he doesnt have the instincts IMO.    

Im starting to give up on Dupree.   He isnt a bust on the level of Jarvis, but I dont see him ever being more than an average at best player.   I could see him being a Clark Haggans type if we had a great pass rusher on the other side.    I am excited about TJ Watt, but I think he would be a better option to move inside, but since we lack depth at OLB, it wont happen, at least not this year, and in general the Steelers dont seem keen on changing player positions.

On 2017-12-09 at 2:03 PM, PghCrew said:

You could look at Dupree in the off-season there if you think you can replace him outside. If he can make the switch mentally, from a physical standpoint he could actually be more successful there, especially if you get him to shed a little weight. 

I'm sure some want Shazier back but I hope he never plays again; the spine is just too important. Let's say he does enough to try to play again; I'd hate to see him go out there after regaining the ability to be normal and permanently damage something. 

I agree, with such an injury, why risk ever again. Retire and enjoy what remaining health is left. Even if he  regains all mobility and strength, there has to be something about this that will be in his mind when on the field.

As for Dupree, he hasn't lived up to a RD1 pick. Lawson RD4 for the bungles has more sacks as a rookie and in a limited role, possible 1/3 as many snaps . Switching Dupree to the ILB is no guarantee, but it worked for Timmons. Dupree has no problem with running through people so that is always an asset for ILB.

On 2017-12-09 at 5:05 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Dupree isnt that good.      I think he would be even worse as an ILB as he doesnt have the instincts IMO.    

Im starting to give up on Dupree.   He isnt a bust on the level of Jarvis, but I dont see him ever being more than an average at best player.   I could see him being a Clark Haggans type if we had a great pass rusher on the other side.    I am excited about TJ Watt, but I think he would be a better option to move inside, but since we lack depth at OLB, it wont happen, at least not this year, and in general the Steelers dont seem keen on changing player positions.

I never understood the hype for Dupree entering the draft but the guy isn't afraid to hit that's for sure, just ask the dolphins qb  O.o . Problem with Dupree is he is slow off the snap and that is a serious flaw when trying to be a consistent threat in the pass rush vs good NFL OT's. Considering the number of snaps Dupree has played and the pressures and sacks near the 3 second range, and one sees he has not produced as a RD1 "should" . Not jarvis of course, that was a total waste of a pick, at least Dupree has work ethic and can and will  KO people on occasion. 

As for Dupree at ILB, I can't see it working out. Totally different game inside, vision, shedding and recognition are critical.  Keep him outside, and possibly rotate to keep the best matchups at OLB accordingly. Harrison, while old, still can play some snaps, and Watt is out there all the time if I am the coach.

Moats might be good inside, could be worth a try.  Hope Spence can do well but wait and see.  ILB might be the weakness to draft in RD2-3 this year unless UFA helps.

Lawson has had a good year for the bungles in limited role (possibly 1/3 the snaps Dupree has had) , I thought we should have drafted him RD1 or even RD2 but that is the Draft. Watt is our good RD1 pick for sure, but Lawson would have helped. They still had hopes for Dupree, but it hasn't worked out IMO. 

If there were stats that broke down sacks into 3seconds, 4 seconds, 5 seconds and then pressures we could break it down better I suppose .  Dupree has the effort and physicality, just too slow off the snap and lacks techniques and natural pass rush skills. 

I don't expect Shazier back, quite a loss but his life and health are more important than the risk of what could happen in this game after that injury.

I was reading the comments section over on the depot and it jogged my memory. I would really like to see what Keion Adams has. He looked pretty good and is freakishly athletic. Maybe he can be our third OLB that rotates around. That means we could play Dupree, Adams, and Watt together on 3rd downs. Adams also might be athletic enough to (sort of) replace the void left with Shazier's injury. 

Archived