GDT: Week 5 - Dallas @ SF

WizardHawk

11 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Same spot as usual … total pretenders. A cheap suit. All show. No substance. You name it. 

I keep trying to explain to people that Dak isn’t any good, but people refuse to listen. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, we can’t win with him at QB, and the entire league knows it.

Just now, Tony7188 said:

Warner is the best LB in the NFL, playing with another top 10 LB and has the DPOY at DE to boot.

They are loaded.

I agree.  When you strike gold with a QB on a rookie deal who is the perfect fit for what you do, you can spend elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Northland said:

I agree.  When you strike gold with a QB on a rookie deal who is the perfect fit for what you do, you can spend elsewhere.

Remember when we had a hot QB on a rookie deal but then had restructured his old, injured predecessor’s contract so many times along with an octogenarian tight end and passed on a HOF shutdown cornerback in the draft so we couldn’t take advantage because the FO is a gang imbeciles and had to deal with ~$30M in dead money each year anyway?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Edited by BigD88
  • Like 1

Obviously this game is over and it doesn’t matter.

But like, one of our OL was on the ground and then shoved in the back two full seconds after the play by a 9ers defender right in front of a ref.

And then they threw a flag on Tyler Smith with no discernible action in the middle of a scrum thereafter.

I’m sorry but that’s ******* absurd.

2 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I keep trying to explain to people that Dak isn’t any good, but people refuse to listen. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, we can’t win with him at QB, and the entire league knows it.

I’m not getting into any Dak debate tonight. He sucked. They ALL sucked. The end. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I agree. The fact that the team would go with Mazi was mind boggling to me. Especially, when they had a trade offer on the table. Mazi was not worth the 26th pick. Dallas has ancient LT and a mediocre C. Their choice was to go with a DT and to ignore the RB position until the 6th round. Achane would've been really nice to have with our 2nd round pick.

It wasn't even that Mazi wasn't worth the pick. Rumor was NE and KC both had him targeted so it was then or never.

The problem was, they passed on a better prospect at two different positions to land the bigger need. And they didn't seem to think OL was as big of a need as a big nose guard because it was the run game that eliminated them two years in a row. However, that OL has had some flops in the mid draft area and it's feeling it. Biadasz is a backup playing starter. Tyron should have been cut to pay Steele and Conner and Tyler kept outside. Bergeron to compete at LG and C would have gone a long way to shoring up the offense.biggest problem - pass protection.

You stop the run in today's NFL not by plugging in a slow 340 pound man in the middle. Few teams do that anymore. You stop the run by putting guys like Warner and Greenlaw at LB; or Wagner, or, as was supposed to be, Parsons. He just happened to fill in so we'll for Lawrence that it made it hard to keep him off the DL. But he isn't built for it and every game he seems to be banged up a bit more, a bit more, a bit more...

Mazi may well become Vince Wilfork. Idk. But defenses don't stuff the run with Vince wilfork anymore.

I have no problem with the Mazi pick and don’t think that’s what’s ailing this team at all.

The problem is 80% of the time they have absolutely bombed their 2nd round picks and that eventually catches up.

Trevon was great. But too many Kelvin Joseph’s, Schoonmaker, Jaylon Smiths, Triysten Hills and (sorry but), Sam Williams types.

I think Mazi will turn out to be a legit asset for this team (though I did think he’d be better along than he is thus far).

43 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I think this is a little overstated cause of emotions of the loss my man...

Dak IS good. The problem is that in situations like this, he needs to rise above being pretty good and be special. He isn't special. He was paid to become special. But he isn't.

But make no mistakes about it. He is certainly good. If you give him the chance he can pick apart a good defense. This is the same issue we have seen for a decade or longer with Romo - you can't throw the ball off your back. And when the heat is on and it's do or die, and you need to force a tough pass that has low probability of completion just to take a chance at trying to pull yourself out of a hole, and it doesn't go your way, it is indeed on you statistically - but too many people forget all the plays, players and errors that led to that nearly unwinnable situation.

This team should have been developing a successor for two years or longer now. It's why I was thrilled with Lance. It's a nice attempt at trying to do something to upgrade or at least replace for cheaper - but there were better opportunities for several years. Willis, Levis and Hooker in the last two drafts. Howell I understand was even on their radar. Ben DiNucci unfortunately was never given a long enough chance to work and grow,.but that gunslinger type could have been worked with and developed, potentially. 

So don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't knock Dak. I'm saying don't undersell what Dak can do and the impact of the other 21 people on the field with him. Or the abilities of a damn good coaching staff.

This is why I wanted Vrabel so bad years ago, Ryans this past year, Mike McDaniels before that...these strategists who see the whole picture, seem to get the best out of the players they coach and assemble a "portrait" that works together schematically will ALWAYS win the day over a cookie cutter coach who forces players to fit their mold, instead of breaking and creating a new a mold every year.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pf9 said:

If McCarthy gets fired tomorrow he is done as an NFL coach.

He could still be HC in college but not at a P5 school.

There is no way MM is fired tomorrow lol

And I highly doubt he would ever want to be a HC at an NCAA level. He is a pro coach. He would take an oc job in Chicago or Carolina before settling on a college job lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I think this is a little overstated cause of emotions of the loss my man...

Dak IS good. The problem is that in situations like this, he needs to rise above being pretty good and be special. He isn't special. He was paid to become special. But he isn't.

But make no mistakes about it. He is certainly good. If you give him the chance he can pick apart a good defense. This is the same issue we have seen for a decade or longer with Romo - you can't throw the ball off your back. And when the heat is on and it's do or die, and you need to force a tough pass that has low probability of completion just to take a chance at trying to pull yourself out of a hole, and it doesn't go your way, it is indeed on you statistically - but too many people forget all the plays, players and errors that led to that nearly unwinnable situation.

This team should have been developing a successor for two years or longer now. It's why I was thrilled with Lance. It's a nice attempt at trying to do something to upgrade or at least replace for cheaper - but there were better opportunities for several years. Willis, Levis and Hooker in the last two drafts. Howell I understand was even on their radar. Ben DiNucci unfortunately was never given a long enough chance to work and grow,.but that gunslinger type could have been worked with and developed, potentially. 

So don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't knock Dak. I'm saying don't undersell what Dak can do and the impact of the other 21 people on the field with him. Or the abilities of a damn good coaching staff.

This is why I wanted Vrabel so bad years ago, Ryans this past year, Mike McDaniels before that...these strategists who see the whole picture, seem to get the best out of the players they coach and assemble a "portrait" that works together schematically will ALWAYS win the day over a cookie cutter coach who forces players to fit their mold, instead of breaking and creating a new a mold every year.

I’m not emotional about this at all. I just know what 7 years of empirical evidence has provided. He isn’t good enough to beat solid teams, let alone good ones. I honestly don’t care because I know that we’ll never be a real competitor with him.