Week 14: SNF Ravens (7-5) at STEELERS (10-2)

JDLefebvre

Ok, I want to do a "In defense of Dupree" and it's very similar to what I did this time last year:

There's been a big change that I've noticed in the philosophy of how the front operates.  In the past the down linemen were responsible for occupying the OL and opening up the lanes for the OLB's to get at the QB.  Back then we got plenty of rushing LB's to get him, and we had down linemen (Von Olehoffen, Smith, Keisel, Hampton) that weren't rushers, but rather big gap holders.

But that's not what this front 7 is about anymore with or without Ryan Shazier.  Tuitt, Heyward, Hargraves are all very good (could say near elite for Heyward) pass rushers.  So those guys have gone to far far less 2-gap play, and they have opened up into more of a 1-gap style.  With the front going more 1-gap style, our OLB's can't just attack the QB.  They have some contain responsibility (and I know the next comment is going to be "But Flacco doesn't run!!); and a lot of that contain is about getting deep so that the QB can't side escape.  It makes the QB either step into pressure or drop further back.

And here's why I like it:  With more and more teams having running capable QB's this style defense becomes very relevant.  It's why we did so well against Mariota earlier in the season, because we basically took away his legs.

The big test for this is next week against Tom Brady.  This is the exact pressure that give him absolute fits.  Dupree and Watt need to get their hands up fast, disrupt lanes, but really what they have to do is get off the line, get some depth and give Tom Brady little room to operate so that if he tries to step up he's stepping into the arms of Tuitt, Heyward, and Hargrave.

I see so many little things that this defense is doing differently and I can tell it's all in and effort to stop Tom Brady.  More man, more cover-3 or cover-1, using brackets on the TE as opposed to manning him up, trying to play contain run.  That's all little stuff that has lead to people complain about certain players that I find a little unfounded because their job isn't to do what you expect.

the D should be made to stop brady since he is the SB champion and kills us everytime - time to adjust. LeBeau didn't want to do that, and had all the talent a team could have. At least with the ne regime, there are changes. Too bad we also now have injuries but that is the nfl for everyone anyways. I still expect to get blown out but will our O keep us in there? Bell isn't 100% either and the Pats will know this, but that could work to our advantage. This could be bens last chance at Brady and co. if he decides to retire.

honestly the key to beating NE is our offense

in our loses to NE .. the offense seems to always have a slow start that sometimes finds itself in the 3rd or 4th but it's always too late... we beat them in 2011 because we were on the field controlling T.O.P ..do that and hope the defense has a few stops in them

I'd love to see a statement game, where we really beat the hell out of Brady & Co. and win by 2 TDs.  This is probably the most confident I've been in years that they actually COULD do it.  Obviously, the defense will have to play A LOT better for that to happen.  

1 hour ago, JLambert58 said:

I'd love to see a statement game, where we really beat the hell out of Brady & Co. and win by 2 TDs.  This is probably the most confident I've been in years that they actually COULD do it.  Obviously, the defense will have to play A LOT better for that to happen.  

I don't have the confidence in this team simply because of how they almost threw this game away last night. To me the D has too many issues.  I am still settled on a split with us winning RD2, if thats ok :D

On 9.12.2017 at 7:28 AM, berlin calling said:

thus far this season we didn't suffer the patented Dean Pees defensive breakdown in the 4th quarter, so it's probably overdue.

hate to be right. GG guys, better coached team won, your coordinators actually are able to adjust during a game and exploit glaring weaknesses. Beat Brady now and win it all so we do Ben can finally retire and we do not have to face him again :(

respect where respect is due. Great player.

After watching the game again, five things jump out....

1) Our safeties are honestly probably the worst in the league, and Sean Davis may actually be worse than Mitchell.   Honestly, they arent good at anything.   I dont know who to blame, but I think its time to move on from Carnell Lake.   I havent really been impressed by anything he has done as a coach....even if its not all on him.

2) Martavis Bryant clearly isnt as fast as he used to be, and thus, is JAG now IMO.   Sorry Marty, for all of your bellyaching, you lost the one thing that couldve made you a rich man.   Lord knows you aint special without your speed.

3)   Jesse James is pretty underrated.   Solid blocker and pretty sure hands.    Just an average athlete in general, but not like Heath was a super athlete either.

4) Bud Dupree looks like another busted OLB.   Guy uses zero technique and cant get off blocks to save his life unless he outruns a block.     Even my Clark Haggans comparison was too optimistic.     And again, I hate to say it, but I am wondering how good of a coach Porter is as well.     Alot of our OLBs seem to lack technique.   TJ Watt has shown some, but I dont think he learned that in the NFL.    I just question if maybe these position coaches get more chances because of their former ties to the team.

5)   Ben is still great.....when he wants to be.   People said he is declining....but I dont think thats it.  I just dont think he loves the game as much as he used to and sometimes, it shows.    I honestly think he wants to retire soon, and if we win a Superbowl, I think he will.    If we dont, I think he will be back, but I question how much his heart will be in it if he comes back next year.   

17 hours ago, warfelg said:

Ok, I want to do a "In defense of Dupree" and it's very similar to what I did this time last year:

There's been a big change that I've noticed in the philosophy of how the front operates.  In the past the down linemen were responsible for occupying the OL and opening up the lanes for the OLB's to get at the QB.  Back then we got plenty of rushing LB's to get him, and we had down linemen (Von Olehoffen, Smith, Keisel, Hampton) that weren't rushers, but rather big gap holders.

But that's not what this front 7 is about anymore with or without Ryan Shazier.  Tuitt, Heyward, Hargraves are all very good (could say near elite for Heyward) pass rushers.  So those guys have gone to far far less 2-gap play, and they have opened up into more of a 1-gap style.  With the front going more 1-gap style, our OLB's can't just attack the QB.  They have some contain responsibility (and I know the next comment is going to be "But Flacco doesn't run!!); and a lot of that contain is about getting deep so that the QB can't side escape.  It makes the QB either step into pressure or drop further back.

And here's why I like it:  With more and more teams having running capable QB's this style defense becomes very relevant.  It's why we did so well against Mariota earlier in the season, because we basically took away his legs.

The big test for this is next week against Tom Brady.  This is the exact pressure that give him absolute fits.  Dupree and Watt need to get their hands up fast, disrupt lanes, but really what they have to do is get off the line, get some depth and give Tom Brady little room to operate so that if he tries to step up he's stepping into the arms of Tuitt, Heyward, and Hargrave.

I see so many little things that this defense is doing differently and I can tell it's all in and effort to stop Tom Brady.  More man, more cover-3 or cover-1, using brackets on the TE as opposed to manning him up, trying to play contain run.  That's all little stuff that has lead to people complain about certain players that I find a little unfounded because their job isn't to do what you expect.

One issue I have with Dupree is he can be the fastest man off the ball. I mean really explosive at the snap. Then at other times very slow and one of the last off the line. This was my MAIN issue with him coming out of college. I remember a Member here posting a KEI or some other measuring stick for explosiveness and Bud was literally off the charts. It was quite impressive. The problem is it's not that there every snap and quite frankly more times than not he's slow off the snap. The only thing I can attribute it to is desire and/or conditioning. Good news is both of those things can be "fixed". 

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

One issue I have with Dupree is he can be the fastest man off the ball. I mean really explosive at the snap. Then at other times very slow and one of the last off the line. This was my MAIN issue with him coming out of college. I remember a Member here posting a KEI or some other measuring stick for explosiveness and Bud was literally off the charts. It was quite impressive. The problem is it's not that there every snap and quite frankly more times than not he's slow off the snap. The only thing I can attribute it to is desire and/or conditioning. Good news is both of those things can be "fixed". 

I think it's snap count recognition.  I've noticed the same exact thing with TJ Watt.  He's slow off the snap at times too.  I think, and sad as this might sound, that Joey Porter is part of the problem.

2 hours ago, stillersenat said:

I dont find always find Pittsburgh Dad funny, but he is usually good for at least one good jab per video....

"Turn the slow motion off on the cable box.   It is too on....dyou see how slow Martavis Bryant is moving?"

Haha....spot on.

I dont know that Bryant has lost his speed. We have still seen the speed that he has on deep routes and that kick return called back for a touchdown. He is god awful at COD and is completely indecisive when he has the football in his hands though. I think his overall game speed is terrible, but that involves his instincts for the game. Ask him to run a fly and he can still burn. 

His head has been his biggest issue. Running the wrong routes, stopping/slowing mid sprint, making the wrong reads, etc. Just sucks watching a guy like Josh Gordon who was out for about 3 years and seeing him attack the ball in the air immediately in his first game back because he has the instincts to do so. You watch Bryant who only missed a year and he seems to have regressed in knowing how to play football. 

Speed doesn't seem to be an issue - recognition and instincts sure as hell do though.  

Archived