Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

Rex continues to be a fan... :)

Hmm...a while ago I asked myself who would I rather have Brock or CJ in the same circumstance. I picked CJ, due to what he's accomplished with this plucky battalion, but other than that with the contract details in mind I can't think of anyone else. It's getting to the point where I'd have to think even with contract stipulations out the window, who else would I rather have under center in Kyle's system with age only being taken into consideration??? Mahomes, Herbert, Stroud....Allen??? Maybe Jackson with as much as Kyle loves to run the football. That's about it...

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Rex continues to be a fan... :)

Hmm...a while ago I asked myself who would I rather have Brock or CJ in the same circumstance. I picked CJ, due to what he's accomplished with this plucky battalion, but other than that with the contract details in mind I can't think of anyone else. It's getting to the point where I'd have to think even with contract stipulations out the window, who else would I rather have under center in Kyle's system with age only being taken into consideration??? Mahomes, Herbert, Stroud....Allen??? Maybe Jackson with as much as Kyle loves to run the football. That's about it...

I'm at the point where the only clear trade is Mahomes. I am fairly certain he can do the stuff that Purdy does and absolutely certain that he can add more. As for the rest, I think you'd lose some of the things that make Brock special and those things are important to me no matter what you gain in return. 9.6 ypa on this volume with this few turnovers is nuts. It's more than even Mahomes has ever had. I'm of the opinion If you get to that point with a passing game, you just try to lock down as many of the pieces as possible for as long as possible.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

I'm at the point where the only clear trade is Mahomes. I am fairly certain he can do the stuff that Purdy does and absolutely certain that he can add more. As for the rest, I think you'd lose some of the things that make Brock special and those things are important to me no matter what you gain in return. 9.6 ypa on this volume with this few turnovers is nuts. It's more than even Mahomes has ever had. I'm of the opinion If you get to that point with a passing game, you just try to lock down as many of the pieces as possible for as long as possible.

I think the best way to do that would be to re-define the positions.  Receiving back, fast blocking tight end, rac WR/rb, and WR that can block like crazy and destroy man coverage.  Then try to get the best possible back up for each of those skillsets. 

In theory, it is a slam dunk, the problem is finding dudes like that.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JIllg said:

Agreed.

I'm at the point where I think this is only the ground floor tbh.

Like if Lynch & Shanny really got behind Glock 13 and actually invested in the O-Line and made it a priority to upgrade the center and RG position, imagine what he could do??

The thought of Purdy being behind one of the best of O-Lines in the league should be a scaaaaaary thought for the rest of the league. Giving this kid more time to scan the field makes it almost pitch & catch at that point. 

I doubt it ever happens though. I think Brock's presence will actually allow Shanny to get away with being even more frugal upfront because he knows Brock has the processing & passing acumen to overcome it.

How hard is it to just admit Purdy actually has some level of skill. Like it's fine to think Purdy would not have the same level of success with another team than he does with us. Purdy's skillset matches perfectly with Kyle's playcalling and he does have a ton of weapons and there is multiple offense where i can totally see him not having the same success as the current QB they have. 

• Like 4

Again, Purdy is never going to win the eye test over some of the other QBs with bigger arms. He will get his respect down the line when he continues to play at this level year in and year out and wins a SB or two. At that point it will be undeniable but QBs like Brady, Big Ben etc never got their full respect until half way through their careers or even the latter part of their careers. Purdy will get the game manager tag thrown at him and how he's being carried by a great supporting cast. You know, the usual lol.

• Like 2

Looking at some of the other situations of top QBs around the league, how I think Purdy would fare on each

• Mahomes(Chiefs): If even Mahomes can't get it done with the weapons the Chiefs currently have, or lack thereof, doubt Purdy could either. But if Andy Reid, one of the few offensive minds currently in the league who matches or even surpasses Shanahan, could make Alex Smith a Pro Bowler, he could certainly get that production out of Purdy given the right weapons(Even if Alex got a raw deal here, hard to argue that he ever played better than Purdy is right now, even in KC). With how weak the AFC West is, I think Purdy leads last year's Chiefs to the playoffs, but probably not very far. This year's Chiefs, I don't know
  • Burrow(Bengals): When healthy, I think the Bengals have weapons that aren't far off from what the Niners have, and he'll feel right at home behind an O-line that struggles at pass blocking. Going from Shanahan to Zac Taylor as a playcaller is certainly a downgrade, but I think he'd manage. Brock's definitely better than Jake Browning, and he has managed so far.
  • Allen(Bills): Now here's one where I think he'd definitely struggle. Safe to say that Purdy does not have Allen's arm strength or rushing ability, which the Bills have relied on far too much(though maybe Joe Brady changes that)
  • Jackson(Ravens): Another place he'd struggle. Ravens don't have great receivers and rely heavily on Lamar's generational talent as a runner.
  • Herbert(Chargers): Great receivers and a great receiving back in Ekeler, on the other hand, Brandon Staley
  • Hurts(Eagles): An O-line that can actually buy time in pass protection and elite receivers? Think Brock would be just fine, even if he doesn't have the deep ball Jalen does. Probably wouldn't do the tush push or lead comebacks as well though.
  • Tua(Dolphins): Probably about the same as Tua
  • Prescott(Cowboys): Probably around the same as Dak
Edited by jonnguy2015

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Ruiz is such a dork 

He lost all credibility to me when he said last week that Brock needs to show him that he can get to the 2nd read within the timing of the offense. Just an unbelievably bad take.

• Like 1