Week 5 GDT: [MNF] McRaiders v Packers - The one where we need to smarten up

big_palooka

How hot is that seat getting?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do we feel about the McRaiders this week?

• Raiders rally, get a much needed win at "home"
    • Raiders come in unprepared and it's another nail in the coffin?
    • Just tank baby?

42 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

huh-nevermind.gif

Probably the luckiest year they've had. They were AWFUL until Jacobs got healthy. 

Lucky year? Their coach got blackballed from the league, and they lost their young star WR... 
they were what 5-2 to start the year before all that... not Awful by anymeans. . . 

Lucky to sneak in sure. but to call that year lucky is crazy. To say they were awful all year is crazy. 
they were awful once they lost the speed of Ruggs. . . he was a massive part of our team. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Lucky year? Their coach got blackballed from the league, and they lost their young star WR... 
they were what 5-2 to start the year before all that... not Awful by anymeans. . . 

Lucky to sneak in sure. but to call that year lucky is crazy. To say they were awful all year is crazy. 
they were awful once they lost the speed of Ruggs. . . he was a massive part of our team. 

It is hard to say tbh if it was lucky or not.
There were so many circumstances around that season both positive and negative.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Yeh, agreed. We might have had a few things go our way with playing teams with injuries, Covid etc. but we were in absolute turmoil ourselves with an unprecedented series of events and the team rallied and deserved everything they got. Incredibly disingenuous to just be dismissive and write it of as lucky.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, agreed. We might have had a few things go our way with playing teams with injuries, Covid etc. but we were in absolute turmoil ourselves with an unprecedented series of events and the team rallied and deserved everything they got. Incredibly disingenuous to just be dismissive and write it of as lucky.

To think Bisaccia and that group could have ran it back would be misguided. They were -68 in point differential and made the playoffs. They won a lot of games in the final minutes, which usually tends to return to the mean the following year. Look at the Vikings this year. 

Bisaccia lost me when they took two butt whoppings from the Chiefs and he kicked a FG down 35 in one of them. 

He was a steady hand, deserved all the credit in the world navigating that turmoil but I don't think he was long for success as a HC. Hindsight, should have gave him 2022 to see what they could do. But that would have meant keeping Mayock who destroyed the roster with terrible picks.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

To think Bisaccia and that group could have ran it back would be misguided. They were -68 in point differential and made the playoffs. They won a lot of games in the final minutes, which usually tends to return to the mean the following year. Look at the Vikings this year. 

I don’t entirely disagree but that’s not my point at all. Though to state point blank they wouldn’t maintain that success is as incorrect as just asserting they would be able to.

My point is purely that that team gets branded ‘lucky’ or it was somehow a fluke we made the playoffs. We had good fortune in some instances as many teams do but we also overcame an unprecedented series of events and pulled together and it’s extremely disingenuous to think we did not deserve to be a playoff team. We absolutely deserved to make the playoffs that year.

Probably we wouldn’t have kept that up, but we’ll never know, we don’t know what moves they might have made or not made, who would have been brought in or put out to pasture. I agree that Bisaccia was a steady hand and a great man manager at the right time. I’m grateful for what he did but I don’t think he was a long term option either to be honest.

• Like 1

Some things ARE certain tho. One rt off the top of my head is Gus Bradley prolly would’ve stayed which = yannick stays (not saying he’s all that but....?) and no chandler and his current mess (which we can’t even say for certain mczigs didn’t know chandler had issues besides his age) and chances are the dt rotation we had was mostly kept intact. They weren’t world class, but better than what we currently have, at least imo. 

Edited by Devilshark69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t entirely disagree but that’s not my point at all. Though to state point blank they wouldn’t maintain that success is as incorrect as just asserting they would be able to.

My point is purely that that team gets branded ‘lucky’ or it was somehow a fluke we made the playoffs. We had good fortune in some instances as many teams do but we also overcame an unprecedented series of events and pulled together and it’s extremely disingenuous to think we did not deserve to be a playoff team. We absolutely deserved to make the playoffs that year.

Probably we wouldn’t have kept that up, but we’ll never know, we don’t know what moves they might have made or not made, who would have been brought in or put out to pasture. I agree that Bisaccia was a steady hand and a great man manager at the right time. I’m grateful for what he did but I don’t think he was a long term option either to be honest.

I disagree. No team with a -68 point differential deserves to make the playoffs. And they were gifted an easy in due to covid protocols. They narrowly beat the Browns (16-14) who were forced to start 3rd string QB Nick Mullins as an example among other starters out. They had like 20+ players who tested positive. 

Josh Jacobs began a stretch of elite play that extended into last season at the end of that season. That was the difference. Carr played terrible and that should have been a pre-cursor to his 2022 season honestly. He had 5 TDs, 4 INTs and fumbled 4 times, losing 2. 6 total turnovers in the 4 must win games to get into the playoff. He did make plays when he had to though.

11 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Just need to continue to do what they do best….. That is lose 

Game is only watchable if AOC plays. 

The rookies are the only reason I want to watch right now.  I am almost in tank mode and would be happy to trade away players for draft picks.  The rebuild will take 3 years and any player that does not have the capability to be better at that time should be actively shopped.  A player like Adams deserves to be sat down and told this.  If he wants a trade then you give him permission to look before the trade deadline.

58 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Some things ARE certain tho. One rt off the top of my head is Gus Bradley prolly would’ve stayed which = yannick stays (not saying he’s all that but....?) and no chandler and his current mess (which we can’t even say for certain mczigs didn’t know chandler had issues besides his age) and chances are the dt rotation we had was mostly kept intact. They weren’t world class, but better than what we currently have, at least imo. 

Flip side, no Adams and Mayock likely throws those picks into the fire with the rest of his. 

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I disagree. No team with a -68 point differential deserves to make the playoffs. And they were gifted an easy in due to covid protocols. They narrowly beat the Browns (16-14) who were forced to start 3rd string QB Nick Mullins as an example among other starters out. They had like 20+ players who tested positive. 

Josh Jacobs began a stretch of elite play that extended into last season at the end of that season. That was the difference. Carr played terrible and that should have been a pre-cursor to his 2022 season honestly. He had 5 TDs, 4 INTs and fumbled 4 times, losing 2. 6 total turnovers in the 4 must win games to get into the playoff. He did make plays when he had to though.

just to call the entirity of the season lucky is absurd. 
losing your coach and young WR, who literally changed our Offense. definitely offsets some of the lucky breaks we had. 
yes we faced teams with covid, we had guys with covid too. 

To say we were terrible all year, is also absurd, we were 5-2 with ruggs, putting up 30+ points in 5 of thsoe games to I believe. 

sneaking into the playoffs sure we got lucky, but that season all things considered was not lucky lol.

• Like 1