Week 5 GDT: [MNF] McRaiders v Packers - The one where we need to smarten up

big_palooka

How hot is that seat getting?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do we feel about the McRaiders this week?

• Raiders rally, get a much needed win at "home"
    • Raiders come in unprepared and it's another nail in the coffin?
    • Just tank baby?

7 hours ago, true2form said:

This is where I’ll jump in. I’m not rooting for us to lose and I don’t believe anyone here is. However, I and I’m sure plenty others do not believe in this team. That’s the difference. Everyone here wants the Raiders to win 100 Super Bowls in a row(no matter how ludicrous it is).

There is a time when you have to realize that we are just not good and we are going nowhere. For me, it was before the season started. For some, it was after a couple games. Others it will be when we are eliminated from the playoffs. The point is, it will happen. 

We can realistically win 4 of our next 5 games and it still won’t change that. Think about that. We could be 6-4 in 5 weeks time and we will still be a bad team that is going nowhere. I know it’s depressing, but it’s the truth. 

Go back and read page 26. People wanted us to get top 5 pick. Obviously you have to lose to get that, so yes there are people who want us to lose. Guy saying "Nothing to be encouraged about" so they must see nothing on defense that is building, which is wrong. Then you have the guy who says it's encouraging and can play our way into playoffs, and within hours he's back and forth with me saying we are a 4-6 win team.

Can't say with certainty this team is going nowhere if the defense continues to play well. SB, no. But if nobody can see strides on defense, I shouldn't have to convince a fan base to see positives right in front of their eyes. There's more to building a team than restarting with QB/HC.

Same sentiment I said before, people would rather be right than see the team winning. That's where this place is, aim for anonymous credibility based on predictions to strangers to hopefully say "I told you so" instead of objectively observing the play of all parts of the team

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jerry said:

Calvin Johnson and Aaron Rodgers..................

We could have changed our team for a decade with just those two.  Crazy how many times we've whiffed by just a pick.  We always seem to draft the bust.  Or never retain decent/great players (Mack, Cooper, L. Murray, etc.).  Watching the Packers last night I realized half of their starters on defense used to play for us (other than DL).  Crazy how some players leave the Raiders and are now flourishing.

Aaarrrrggghh, you've opened the worm hole now! We should have had Dan Marino followed by Aaron Rodgers 😭 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Go back and read page 26. People wanted us to get top 5 pick. Obviously you have to lose to get that, so yes there are people who want us to lose. Guy saying "Nothing to be encouraged about" so they must see nothing on defense that is building, which is wrong. Then you have the guy who says it's encouraging and can play our way into playoffs, and within hours he's back and forth with me saying we are a 4-6 win team.

Can't say with certainty this team is going nowhere if the defense continues to play well. SB, no. But if nobody can see strides on defense, I shouldn't have to convince a fan base to see positives right in front of their eyes. There's more to building a team than restarting with QB/HC.

Same sentiment I said before, people would rather be right than see the team winning. That's where this place is, aim for anonymous credibility based on predictions to strangers to hopefully say "I told you so" instead of objectively observing the play of all parts of the team

Plenty have mentioned the defense looking better from what I’ve read, and it’s no ones job to “convince a fan base to see the positives right in front of their eyes” lol. Sounds a lot like “you wanna be right” if I’m playing devils advocate. Nothing personal but it is what it is. And no, I’m not going back n forth with this. Lol👍🍻

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

You're not wrong. This team feels lifeless. Getting wins against some of the poor teams in the league is meaningless unless you can matchup with KC, Detroit and Miami on your schedule. 

I truly hate being in the middle which looks like where this is destined to go. 

I could see us string together a few wins soon, but then go on a big losing streak towards the end of the season when we have the Chiefs x2, Dolphins, Chargers again.

They’ll give us false hope for a while, then melt away like the poor team we undoubtedly are.

It might not be the worst thing in the world if it does play out that way, I suppose. Less chance of retaining this staff if we end the season on a 6-game losing streak…

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Plenty have mentioned the defense looking better from what I’ve read, and it’s no ones job to “convince a fan base to see the positives right in front of their eyes” lol. Sounds a lot like “you wanna be right” if I’m playing devils advocate. Nothing personal but it is what it is. And no, I’m not going back n forth with this. Lol👍🍻

I was directly asked point blank why there should be excitement, which would require convincing of positives.

Nothing personal, I don't want to go back and forth with you either. So keep it moving and I will too.

4 hours ago, justwinbaby81 said:

And that's where most will agree to disagree with you.  Is the defense improved or are we just playing some of the worst offenses in the NFL?  They get another chance against some lame O's coming up too.  Doesn't mean they've improved and it's not their fault who is on the schedule either, but it just is.

Some times you have to find the positives wherever you can, and I get that.  I think it's more about tone than anything else.

"We're improving and might be able to sneak into the playoffs" is completely different than, "I know we aren't going anywhere, but it's nice to see the defense play ok against teams they should".  

I feel like I'm the reality check guy on this forum.  No one wants to hear it.  Everyone wants to argue it.  Eventually you'll accept it.  I'll go back to the shadows.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, justwinbaby81 said:

If you don't have a top 3 QB, or a historically good defense, you aren't winning the SB.  We have neither.  Tanking and getting a top 2 pick could change our franchise for 10-15 years.  I don't understand why we don't just pull the plug on being mid and just getting our QBotF on a rookie contract which could help us build up the rest of our team over the next 2-3 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, true2form said:

And that's where most will agree to disagree with you.  Is the defense improved or are we just playing some of the worst offenses in the NFL?  They get another chance against some lame O's coming up too.  Doesn't mean they've improved and it's not their fault who is on the schedule either, but it just is.

Some times you have to find the positives wherever you can, and I get that.  I think it's more about tone than anything else.

"We're improving and might be able to sneak into the playoffs" is completely different than, "I know we aren't going anywhere, but it's nice to see the defense play ok against teams they should".  

I feel like I'm the reality check guy on this forum.  No one wants to hear it.  Everyone wants to argue it.  Eventually you'll accept it.  I'll go back to the shadows.

If you want to move goal posts go for it, but the fact remains the Packers were scoring 25/game and then scored 13 against us. Chargers scored their lowest output despite us losing two fumbles in our territory. We have been bottom 7 in points allowed the last 3 years and now 20th despite the 2nd most giveaways in the league. It's incredible how everyone forgets how inept this defense has been for years and have made bad QBs look great but now that we are playing somewhat decent on defense it's all on the opposing offense.

I guess it can't possibly be both that the defense has improved and played bad offenses, after all you're the reality check guy. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

If you want to move goal posts go for it, but the fact remains the Packers were scoring 25/game and then scored 13 against us. Chargers scored their lowest output despite us losing two fumbles in our territory. We have been bottom 7 in points allowed the last 3 years and now 20th despite the 2nd most giveaways in the league. It's incredible how everyone forgets how inept this defense has been for years and have made bad QBs look great but now that we are playing somewhat decent on defense it's all on the opposing offense.

I guess it can't possibly be both that the defense has improved and played bad offenses, after all you're the reality check guy. 

People forget our defense allowed ungoldy numbers against the worst offenses, QB's, high school playcallers etc last year.  So I agree, the fact that they can hold a bad offense this year shows signs of improvement. 

Still, I don't think our defense at it's level is going to help this team until we have a competent offense. So McDaniels and Jimmy need to be replaced. Which probably means a whole new defensive staff and personnel next year. So this improvement could be a mute point. 

Getting a top 2-5 pick was never in our cards. There are so many bad teams in the league right now and the Raiders have too much talent to go full tank. So I rather them string some wins together, build some momentum and have some good feelings in the building. Being a perennial loser isn’t the way to go either. You think Crosby wants to be a part of 3-14 team? We can be a 7-9 win team with a few holes, cap space and pick high enough to trade up for a top QB prospect. The draft doesn’t stop after CW and Maye. 

Defense is finally showing some life, team is playing hard and competing their ***** off. If the offense gets going we can be a little closer to playoffs than top 5 pick. I don’t think anyone was thinking playoffs before the season, and I don’t think that’s what we are, but look what the Lions did last year. Competed like hell when they were a little undermanned, stayed the course and now they are balling. 

Jimmy and JJ missed most of the off-season. Timing and cohesion is still being worked on, that’s probably why we look clunky at times, but there has been flashes. Jimmys not the guy but the supporting cast still might be. 

• Like 1