Week 5 GDT: [MNF] McRaiders v Packers - The one where we need to smarten up

big_palooka

How hot is that seat getting?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do we feel about the McRaiders this week?

• Raiders rally, get a much needed win at "home"
    • Raiders come in unprepared and it's another nail in the coffin?
    • Just tank baby?

4 hours ago, justwinbaby81 said:

If you want to move goal posts go for it, but the fact remains the Packers were scoring 25/game and then scored 13 against us. Chargers scored their lowest output despite us losing two fumbles in our territory. We have been bottom 7 in points allowed the last 3 years and now 20th despite the 2nd most giveaways in the league. It's incredible how everyone forgets how inept this defense has been for years and have made bad QBs look great but now that we are playing somewhat decent on defense it's all on the opposing offense.

I guess it can't possibly be both that the defense has improved and played bad offenses, after all you're the reality check guy. 

Just putting out the facts.  Neither of us can change the fact Aaron Jones, Ekelar, Mike Williams, etc didn't play in our games. The Chargers scored 24 points in one half, so that's not held in check imo.  The Packers were without their top playmaker so it does make an impact.

I'm not moving any goal posts, just keeping it real.  The defense has been bad for 20 years and maybe that's why I'm not quick to think anything has changed and also why you're jumping at the slightest of improvement. The defense has played well with who they've played and I commend them for that.  However, I'm also not someone who thinks things are perfect now because we held some limited offenses in check.  

For example, I don't think Spillane is a good player all of sudden just because he was gifted two interceptions.  I'm not Al Davis signing Larry Brown because he played well in one Super Bowl.

Improvement is great, but we are going to have to see it against a good team before I start proclaiming anything is better, let alone fixed.  You think we are all set, great.  I don't.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 12:06 PM, big_palooka said:

Man... you really falling for all the media ballyhoo over CU and Sanders. Just because something is LOUD, doesn't make it good. 

Maye is the consensus 1b to Williams. Sanders is a 2nd round pick. What does he have that is better than Maye? What separates Sanders from guys like McCarthy, Penix, Ewers, Daniels, Travis, Nix, etc?

I think you're vastly overrating him. If his last name wasn't Sanders and that program not in the spotlight weekly, he'd be just another QB. 

I can actually see why you would say that I am overrating him because I think the media is hyping him up like crazy for sure. If I'm being honest, I didn't even like him initially because of the hype. And then I actually watched his game. 

To answer your question he doesn't play like it's college football. Caleb Williams(who is better than him.) and Drake Maye play like it's college football. What I mean by that is they do things that aren't supposed to work in the NFL. When I actually watched Sanders, I was very surprised to see how nuanced his game was.

I think the reason why people think he's an average athlete is because he's not really trying to run He's looking to throw at almost all times very much like a CJ Stroud.

He's one of those guys that in the combine he's going to surprise people with how tests. But to me, it's what his game looks like .

But of course this is all my personal opinion

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, true2form said:

Just putting out the facts.  Neither of us can change the fact Aaron Jones, Ekelar, Mike Williams, etc didn't play in our games. The Chargers scored 24 points in one half, so that's not held in check imo.  The Packers were without their top playmaker so it does make an impact.

I'm not moving any goal posts, just keeping it real.  The defense has been bad for 20 years and maybe that's why I'm not quick to think anything has changed and also why you're jumping at the slightest of improvement. The defense has played well with who they've played and I commend them for that.  However, I'm also not someone who thinks things are perfect now because we held some limited offenses in check.  

For example, I don't think Spillane is a good player all of sudden just because he was gifted two interceptions.  I'm not Al Davis signing Larry Brown because he played well in one Super Bowl.

Improvement is great, but we are going to have to see it against a good team before I start proclaiming anything is better, let alone fixed.  You think we are all set, great.  I don't.

That’s football. Injuries are part of the game. You go out and win the game with the healthy players

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Packers2021 said:

You guys should win this week too.

That's the trouble with this team, it's a game we clearly should win but our MO is to build up hopes and expectation, reel people back in a bit and then let everyone down with a deflating and awful loss.

I think we should win and we ought to win but I'm nervous to say the least 😄

Mac Jones 330 yard game with 3 TDs incoming????????

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

That's the trouble with this team, it's a game we clearly should win but our MO is to build up hopes and expectation, reel people back in a bit and then let everyone down with a deflating and awful loss.

I think we should win and we ought to win but I'm nervous to say the least 😄

Mac Jones 330 yard game with 3 TDs incoming????????

You’ll be fine. If Crosby has a huge defensive game and Josh Jacobs has a monster game you guys will win.

3 hours ago, Packers2021 said:

You’ll be fine. If Crosby has a huge defensive game and Josh Jacobs has a monster game you guys will win.

Fingers crossed. What I really want to see this week though is our QB actually making sensible decisions and doing simple things right like hitting the open guy, not throwing a boneheaded interception. Crosby is awesome and will always be a menace so hopefully our D can keep up the improvement against what should be a poor offence.

Who do you guys play this week?